• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Diascope 65 T* FL (1 Viewer)

prairiemerlin

registered guy
Hello everyone,

Wednesday I received my new Zeiss Diascope 65 T* FL, along with the zoom eyepiece. The body and the eyepiece cost $1400, :eek!: but it was worth it. The first thing I looked into was the quality of image at 15x. I had read several places that the edges of the image at 15x were blurry. I did note some blurriness at the very edges, but not nearly as bad as I had expected it to be. I may have not noticed the blurry edges had I not read about them beforehand. The blurriness disappeared at high powers. That out of the way, I started testing it out on the yard birds. I'd simply find a songbird with my eye, find it at 15x, and then zoom in for mind-blowing views. In contrast to my old scope, the images were very sharp, bright and vivid. Later we went to my local patch to try it out more. At my local patch, a boardwalk with a high railing runs through a small marsh. While I could see over the railing fine while I was looking at a bird more than 20 feet away, anything closer I was unable to scope until I found the knob on the side of my scope. After twisting this knob, I could turn the scope so I look through horizontally. With this feature I can set the tripod higher, but it is very hard to point when turned horizontally. I am very happy with my new Zeiss, and I am glad I got it. (It is much, much better than my old one)

Yes, I recently bought a Zeiss 85 with zoom eyepiece, and it is awesome. I haven't had many opportunities to use it yet, but I did check out a Red-bellied Woodpecker in my backyard while it was searching for food. Through the scope it felt as though I could reach out and touch the bird. Just cannot describe how awesome the optics are. Hopefully I will get out the Ottawa NWR soon and do some shorebirding with it B :)

I have a 65mm Diascope that I'm overall very happy with, but do find the image rather dim at the high end of the zoom.

Best,
Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back