• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tice's Meadow and Tongham GP, Surrey (3 Viewers)

Rich H has just met with the bod from Hansons responsible for the return of Tice's Meadow to nature. In general the meeting was positive but work will start soon. Be prepared to lose the embankment. I have emailed him and told him of the improtance of the site and encouraged him to keep the main lake as it is currently. There is a plan to put in a bird hide (I have suggested non-combustable material!)

I have sggested that we perhaps meet again but I think we may be looking at a cracking opportunity to manage the site as we would wish. A bird hide in the current viewing area would be great I think.

Watch this space but please badger anyone you see who appears to be in charge of redevelopment.

Should you wish to add your view please email David Brittain at [email protected]. It would be great if he could receive our views especially with regards to the Wader and, most imporantly the LRP connection, which I beleive would keep the main lake in its current state.

Rich

Last edited:
Rich H has just met with the bod from Hansons responsible for the return of Tice's Meadow to nature. In general the meeting was positive but work will start soon. Be prepared to lose the embankment. I have emailed him and told him of the improtance of the site and encouraged him to keep the main lake as it is currently. There is a plan to put in a bird hide (I have suhested non-combustable material!)

I have sggested that we perhaps meet again but I think we may be looking at a cracking opportunity to manage the site as we would wish. A bird hide in the current viewing area would be great I think.

Watch this space but please badger anyone you see who appears to be in charge of redevelopment.

Shoud you wish to add your view please email David Brittain at [email protected]. It would be great if he could receive our views especially with regards to the Wader and, most imporantly the LRP connection, which I would beleive would keep the main lake in its current state.

Rich

I suppose it's positive that they're prepared to listen. Let's just hope not too much is done to change what is already a fantastic site!

Very interesting thanks for posting Rich, I'm not sure on the idea of the hide given the incursions by youths from the estate. Non combustible material or otherwise will not prevent other forms of trespass/vandalism. Another option could be screens with viewing areas as used in other sites.

Cheers,

John.

05:50 - 07:00 this morning - 5 Green Sandpiper, 3 Common Sandpiper, 3 Little Egret over N, 6+ Common Tern, 2 juv Stonechats on the meadow, 2 LRP (1 juv), 4+ Chiffchaff, 2 Reed Warbler, 20 + Sand Martin.

John.

Good session this morning, 4 + Green & 3 Common Sands found on the workings, a Kingfisher was showing well on the overflow pool. But after completing my circuit to view the workings from the meadow, the best was left for last, a cracking Wood Sand showing well with the Black Headed Gulls. Unfortunately it flew off at approx 08:15 & was not relocated. A single LRP remains on the workings, & the 2 juv Stonechats are still present.

John.

Gents, most of you will have received a cracking email from David Brittain with reference to the future of the meadow and our input in shaping it. Rich and I plan to meet at 1800hrs on Friday to discuss best options and I know he has invited some of you. Anyone fancy joining us - the more the merrier? We need to sing off the same song sheet when it comes to this - the Meadow's future is linked to our birding future and there will be no recall if Hanson's dig up and fill in the best of the gravel pit.

A quick pint afterwards might be fortuitous and welcome.

Rich

Last edited:
Gents, most of you will have received a cracking email from David Brittain with reference to the future of the meadow and our input in shaping it. Rich and I plan to meet at 1800hrs on Friday to discuss best options and I know he has invited some of you. Anyone fancy joining us - the more the merrier? We need to sing off the same song sheet when it comes to this - the Meadow's future is linked to our birding future and there will be no recall if Hanson's dig up and fill in the best of the gravel pit.

A quick pint afterwards might be fortuitous and welcome.

Rich

Sounds good, Rich! I'd be up for joining you if I may. Whereabouts are you planning to meet?

Matt.

Rich,

Is the Friday meet still happening? I've just had an e-mail from David Brittain which says that he might not be able to make it.

Cheers,

John.

Rich,

Is the Friday meet still happening? I've just had an e-mail from David Brittain which says that he might not be able to make it.

Cheers,

John.

I think we still ought to meet so that we are singing off the same song sheet. Rich H can pass on details if David cannot turn up. Shall we meet at the embankment?

Day off so popped down early this morning, for once the no's of Common Sands exceeded their Green cousins, 4-3. Fifteen Lapwing on the workings, but no sign of the one remaining LRP. Four Swallows & a single Swift were seen hawking over the meadow & workings & the 2 juv Stonechats are still present.

John.

Great news this morning, found all 3 of the recent brood of LRP's intact on the workings with the female in attendance. Also found another juv LRP on one of the islands, a passage bird I assume, min 4 Green & 2 Common Sands, & 17 Lapwing. Migrant passerines included min of 8 Chiffies, seemed to be everywhere, & 2 Garden Warblers found skulking in the sloes. Last bird was a Hobby that shot through over the meadow & over the bank.

John.

The meeting and Common Terns!

John ... would be interested to hear about the discussions at the meeting.

Also, are there still any Common Terns at Tice's, and, if so, do they roost overnight? There are still a lot of Common Terns at Fleet Pond and extra birds arrive at dusk to roost. I had 27 last night.

John

Hi John,

It wasn't a meeting as such, David Brittain unfortunately could'nt make it, but we all met up to discuss David's blueprint for Tices & make sure that that we are all singing from the same hymn sheet in terms of the future. As for Common Terns, no's have dropped over the last few weeks, the juvs seem to have departed & the no's of Adults is usually around 5-6 on my visits.

John.

Another good session this morning with more migrants present. Best bird was a smart adult Wheatear in the NW corner of the workings found whilst watching a juv LRP. Wader no's today were min of 4 Green & 3 Common Sands on the workings, 10 Lapwings, & the aforementioned LRP which I think is yesterdays passage bird, much better views today though. The first returning Meadow Pipit was seen on the meadow, a nice male Bullfinch, 2 Kestrels, 3 Skylarks, 3 Little Grebes, (1 remaining chick), 5 Common Terns, & lots of Chiffchaffs.

John.

David Brittain has been in touch with Rich H. He's going to bring along Hanson's Land and Planning Manager when we agree a date; he's a birder and one to get on side. They emphasise that they are keen to use Tice's as their flagship regeneration which will be great and extremely comforting. Bird wise nothing much to add to John's tally. I only had one Common Sandpiper but it was great to hear that we have successful LRP fledglings (must say that I only saw 2 adults).

Last edited:
David Brittain has been in touch with Rich H. He's going to bring along Hanson's Land and Planning Manager when we agree a date; he's a birder and one to get on side. They emphasise that they are keen to use Tice's as their flagship regeneration which will be great and extremely comforting. Bird wise nothing much to add to John's tally. I only had one Common Sandpiper but it was great to hear that we have successful LRP fledglings (must say that I only saw 2 adults).

Gents,

one for the diary. They will be around on Friday at about 1700hrs. More to follow but we plan to meet in the Kiln Car Park and walk on from there.

Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back