• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carl Zeiss 7 x 42 BGATP binoculars (1 Viewer)

snelmich

Sadly I lost my 7 x 42's at the end of my recent Lesvos holiday after using them for 14 years. I am looking for a good replacement and would like to hear of suggested models I should consider buying.
Has anyone recently switched from 7 x 42's and found an good replacement. ?

Mike

Hi welcome to birdforum. I have moved your thread to a more appropriate forum... although I'm presuming you wish to stick to Leica.
Best regards,
Andy

Sadly I lost my 7 x 42's at the end of my recent Lesvos holiday after using them for 14 years. I am looking for a good replacement and would like to hear of suggested models I should consider buying.

Mike
Hello Mike,

If I lost my Zeiss 7x42 ClassiC T*P BGA, I would think of only two binoculars: the 7x42 FL and a used 7x42 ClassiC. The Zeiss 7x42 ClassiC was simply one of the best designed glasses. Just a near perfect compromise of field of view, brilliance, contrast and resolution. Even its ergonomics appeal to many. The modern Zeiss is waterproof, focusses more closely and has, according to many, outstanding colour rendition.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Not sure why this is in the Leica forum?
If it's all about a Zeiss 7x42 BGATP*, surely the Zeiss forum is the place?
FWIW, I agree with Arthur. If you've spent 14 years with a Zeiss, that's the way to go...

Before you go you should know that Swarovski discontinued it's 7 x 42B SLC and you may be able to pick one up at a good price as I did.

I still have my older Leica 7 x 42 Trinovid BN so I can use the Leica Forum for this discussion.;)

The Swarovski has newer coatings and longer eye relief than the Leica and I like it better. It handles veiling glare better too but it is longer and somewhat heavier than the Leica.

Bob

zeiss 7 x 42 BGAT

Thank you very much for your all advice. Since I cannot get hold of my original 7 x 42 BGAT in Uk now, I have bought the Zeiss Victory 7 x 42 FL. I got a good deal for a nearly new pair.
I am sure I will miss my old binoculars but some people say that my new pair is as good -although I'm not sure about the weight and balance.

Mike Snelling

Mike

Welcome Mike,

I've read so many good reviews of the ClassiCs, it seems to be a hard act to follow, however, as a rule of thumb, "newer is better" in terms of anti-reflective coatings and reflective prism coatings (the latter not being an issue with the Classic since it has Abbe-Konig prisms), and in terms of extra low dispersion glass (ED glass).

Accordingly, the latest alphas should look brighter, have more contrast and more color saturation, and less chromatic aberration.

However, the Zeiss FL's EP design is different than the Classic, which has an ample sweet spot and gradually fading sharpness as field curvature enters the edges.

With the FL, the fall off at the edge is astigmatism and can't be refocused, and from what reviewers have said, the fall off is not gradual but steep. So you might notice it while panning. But the FOV is so wide, you might not. The point being, don't assume because you liked the Classic that you will automatically like the FL, they are different optically and ergonomically.

The other thing to consider is that over those 14 years, your entrance pupils might not open to 6mm anymore. Don't know how old you are, but we recently had this discussion on another thread, and generally, your entrance pupils shrink as you get older, making your eyes unable to take advantage of large exit pupil bins.

Older necks also don't like as much weight. For these reasons, you might find an 8x32 format roof with ED/FL glass is more practical than a full sized roof.

The 8x32 FL is highly rated and less expensive than its competition. Less "fuzz" at the edges than the 7x42 model if that is an issue.

Swarovski has a new 8x32, the SV EL. Some people see "rolling ball" with this series of bins (the image appears to roll over a curved surface), and some people take a week or more to adjust to it, a few never do, so you want a generous return period if you buy an SV EL.

Leica is also highly regarded as having the best color saturation and color contrast whereas the FL is considered to be the brightness.

Nikon has the 8x32 EDG II, which like the SV EL has field flatteners for sharper edges, but like the SV EL and Leica, they cost over $2K. So you're looking at a considerable increase in cost replacing your Classics.

Classics do show up on eBay from time to time, usually for over $1,000, but that's still half the price of today's alphas.

I wanted to give you another POV to think about.

Here's a Website that compares the bins mentioned above (except the new EL and EDG II, they do have reviews of the 8x32 EL WB and the EDG II in the 10x42 format).

It's no substitute for "hands on" time with these bins, but at least you will get to see what the major differences are.

http://www.allbinos.com/binoculars.html

Brock

Last edited:
Carl Zeiss 7 x 42 BGAT binoculars

I have now used my new Zeiss Victory 7 x 42 FL in the field for the first time and am very happy with them. I was watching Small Blue, Duke of Burgundy and Pearl-bordered Fritillary butterflies and other insects. I preferred the balance and feel of my old Classic 7 x 42 but the brightness and close-focussing of the new bins is excellent.
Previously I used to carry an additional small pair of close-focussing bins but this is no longer necessary. The depth of field of view for the new bins was just as good as that for the 7 x 42 Classic.
Thank you for all the helpful replies.

Mike Snelling

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back