• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding around Spa (1 Viewer)

Finbirder

Hi,

I will be on a family trip on Easter from Dusseldorf -Spa- Vianden (Luxemburg) and back.
I was wondering if there is any chance to see/hear Barn Owl or Dartford Warbler since I am still missing those two on my lifer list :)

Also if there are some nice spots to stop on the way for birds and nature I appreciate all suggestions.

Thanks and all the best!

-Finbirder

Hi!

Dartford Warbler is a rarity in Belgium (a bird every few years). And there aren't many Barn Owls on this side of the country, I'm afraid. :-C

I'm attaching a map of a few nature spots. The 'Parc naturel des Hautes Fagnes' (High fens) and the smaller (but closer to Spa) 'Fagne de Malchamps' are two well-known raised bogs. The High Fens host what remains of our Black Grouse population (but there's an ongoing reintroduction program). There's an observation post at the 'Signal de Botrange'.
SE of the High Fens, the 'Rurbusch' (an old forest) and the 'Vallée de la Schwalm' are both quite nice for a walk.

Belgian birders (and naturalists in general) use observations.be to record their observations, which you can use in quite a few languages.

Attachments

• spa.jpg
    spa.jpg
    572.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Hi

I cannot help with either of your target birds unfortunately but can highly recommend Haff Remich Centre Biodiversum in Luxembourg. You can access the reserve from Remerschen. there are several hides and migrants are starting to arrive now.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back