Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Absolute top 10x (under $3000)

Old Sunday 15th April 2018, 09:59   #126
Troubador

BC
And binos don't have to be perfect to deliver delightful experiences or indeed useful behavioural observations.

Lee
Old Sunday 15th April 2018, 10:23   #127
black crow

That's for sure. All the binoculars in that drawer were very good and at one time our "Alpha" binoculars. When you really get down to it, these top end binoculars are only delivering a small percentage of overall improvement. I think that is so fortunate because almost anyone in a first world country can own a good optic.
Old Thursday 3rd May 2018, 11:00   #128
black crow

UPDATE on the Zeiss. She had to send the 10x back because one eye cup won't function and now the second pair has the same issue and the 8x is also giving problems. I know it's nothing she did as I noticed a possible problem with the first pair on day one. They aren't good. I'm advising her to return all of them and go with something else. Maybe the Swaro EL because she really likes Swarovski.
Old Thursday 3rd May 2018, 14:40   #129
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by black crow View Post
UPDATE on the Zeiss. She had to send the 10x back because one eye cup won't function and now the second pair has the same issue and the 8x is also giving problems. I know it's nothing she did as I noticed a possible problem with the first pair on day one. They aren't good. I'm advising her to return all of them and go with something else. Maybe the Swaro EL because she really likes Swarovski.
What a bummer, BC. Seems she really loved the ergonomics and optics of the SF.

A possible solution could be a quick call to US Zeiss Sports Optics (800-841-3005-Very Helpful CS)...that would get you immediate replaceable eye cups that are (from my understanding) on the current newest black SF models?!

Ted

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 3rd May 2018, 15:46   #130
black crow

I'll convey that to her. Thanks.

But my question is why all these pairs gone wrong? These are supposed to be top of the line optics.

Last edited by black crow : Thursday 3rd May 2018 at 15:51.
Old Thursday 3rd May 2018, 16:23   #131
BruceH
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
UPDATE on the Zeiss. She had to send the 10x back because one eye cup won't function and now the second pair has the same issue and the 8x is also giving problems. ........
BC .... Would you please provide some detail explaining the problem with the eyecups. Thanks.

I have a Zeiss SF in both the 8X and 10X along with a Conquest HD 10X42 that looks to share the same basic eyecup design with the SF. The only issue I have had is they have come loose on occasion. I use them fully extended for viewing without glasses but do turn them frequently for blowing or brushing any crud off the eyepiece lens. A loose eye cup happened to me yesterday on a Nikon EDG and a few weeks ago on a Swaro EL. That issue comes with binoculars with removable eye cups. If the eye cup is defective, Zeiss can send you a new one and it can easily be replaced by the owner. I am curious to know exactly what the nature of the problem is with her units. I assume it is something other than being loose.
(The Yin Yang of the Binocular Forum)

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 3rd May 2018, 19:56   #132
black crow

Yes they come loose too, and they won't stay put on the last click. Not too important for her but a pain in the butt for someone like me. The left side would not stay put all the way out.
Old Sunday 6th May 2018, 23:11   #133
black crow

Well at this point she has another 30 days with the Zeiss 10x since they sent another pair which also has eyecup problems but are useable for testing. I think she's now going to order a Leica Noctivid and a Swaro EL and see what she likes best out of the three. I'm saying it will be the Noctivid or the Swaro and the Zeiss will fall out. If the Noctivid is anything like my 10x32 Ultravid then I'll cast my vote there. I like the view in my Leica 10x32 better than her Zeiss 10x42 SF. I did a comparison today at her house. The eye relief on my Ultravid is a no go for her but not on the Noctivid.
Old Sunday 6th May 2018, 23:36   #134
dries1
BF Supporter 2018

It doesn't get any better, Alpha Showdown in Ashland Oregon.

Andy W.

Old Monday 7th May 2018, 00:23   #135
black crow

Yeah, for the first time in my life I have a ring side seat for something big.

Any predictions? I guess my skills as a bookie would be frowned on here.

Last edited by black crow : Monday 7th May 2018 at 00:26.
Old Monday 7th May 2018, 00:52   #136
BruceH
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Yes they come loose too, ...............
BC ..... Lee put up a post a while back on how to tighten the Zeiss eye cups to the eye piece housing.

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=336799
(The Yin Yang of the Binocular Forum)

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 7th May 2018, 00:59   #137
black crow

Thanks I'll pass that thread on to her, on this new pair the right eye cup will not go all the way down. It will go to within one click of being down and it's jammed there. This is not good IMO. Two pair with slightly differing issues. She's certainly a little spooked and I can't blame her. The 8x eye cups seem fine but I have to admit to the feeling of a problem just waiting to happen at this point. That's not a good way to feel about a binocular you just paid over two grand for. She's taking it a lot better than I would be. I'd send them both back and seek my alpha elsewhere. It's a shame because optically they are stellar.
Old Monday 7th May 2018, 01:09   #138
dries1
BF Supporter 2018

Perhaps you can throw in, I mean suggest, the Ultravid 8 or 10X42 HD or HD+ also.

Andy W.

Old Monday 7th May 2018, 01:36   #139
black crow

I did. That's very likely where my money would go but she likes top tier and I'd love to see one myself.
Old Monday 7th May 2018, 02:08   #140
dries1
BF Supporter 2018

I have the Ultravid HD 8X42 and I would consider it to be a premium glass. The sharpness of fine detail with the color rendition is tough to beat IMO, additionally it is the smallest of the premium 8X42s, a nice compact package.

Andy W.

Old Monday 7th May 2018, 02:36   #141
black crow

I believe you. My Ultravid 10x32 is my favorite bin at the moment. I've linked her to a couple of threads here on the Noctivid so she can see what's being said about them. Several of the comments compare the Noctivid and the Ultravid. She can make up her mind. Likely whichever has the best eye relief and IPD range. She has very close set eyes and a lot of bins do not work for her.
Old Monday 7th May 2018, 03:04   #142
dries1
BF Supporter 2018

Besides the low eye relief on the 10X32 being too low for her, how does the IPD range on your Ultravid fit her.
If it is ok, I would think the 10X42 UV HD+ would fit her. The 10X42 has 16mm eye relief and IPD range is 55-75 mm.

Andy W.

Old Monday 7th May 2018, 03:22   #143
black crow

55 should work. She prefers 54 but most seem to be around 56. Every roof she uses she seems to completely close it tight.
Old Monday 7th May 2018, 03:36   #144
dries1
BF Supporter 2018

Here is a link discussing the Noctivid and the Ultravid, by Canip.

https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.p...26&postcount=4

By the way, not an issue for me, but some say the Noctivid is a bit heavy, 890 grams.

Andy W.

Old Monday 7th May 2018, 04:26   #145
black crow

That was a nice review. I passed it along for what it's worth. She's not good at evaluating these reviews so I don't know what she'll make of all this. She usually just goes along with my best guess. I love the Ultravid and I love the SF and the EL. Any of them would be fine for her needs imo. What she needs most would be things like the best IPD and eye relief. I'm really interested in seeing the EDG. They've been a sort of holy grail in my childlike imagination for many years. I'd like it if she got a pair in the 32mm size at least to compare with my 32mm EL, since she also wants one lightweight 32mm. However she's very likely feeling overwhelmed with so many choices in 42mm right now so I'd like to keep it to just three. I know she does well with Swarovski so far so maybe that would be her best bet but in the end she's going to decide not me. I just get to look at what she gets and maybe give an opinion and also look towards any future purchases I might want to make.

Last edited by black crow : Monday 7th May 2018 at 04:28.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: