Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Your pick btw 8x32, 8x42, 8.5x42?

Old Saturday 23rd June 2018, 13:36   #1
PlanetMaker

Your pick btw 8x32, 8x42, 8.5x42?

So if you could only have one between the Swarovski Swarovski 8x32 EL32, Swarovski 8x42 SLC or the Swarovski 8.5x42 EL42 what one would you get?

Seems all have there strong points and weak ones but at the end of the day what one would you pocket?

Wish birdforum had a poll option for this
Thanks
Dan
Old Saturday 23rd June 2018, 13:50   #2
jremmons
Wildlife Biologist

I've owned all except the 8.5x42, which I have had the chance to use on numerous occasions. I would pick either the 8.5x42 SV or the 8x42 SLC; I'd let ergonomics and cost sway you in the right direction... both models are fantastic and on a very similar level, optically.

The 8x32, while great ergonomically and optically, had a lot of issues (for me) with glare...

That being said, if you get a chance to try them, do that before you can buy given how much you're spending, regardless of the model you select.
Old Saturday 23rd June 2018, 14:40   #3
PlanetMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jremmons View Post
I've owned all except the 8.5x42, which I have had the chance to use on numerous occasions. I would pick either the 8.5x42 SV or the 8x42 SLC; I'd let ergonomics and cost sway you in the right direction... both models are fantastic and on a very similar level, optically.

The 8x32, while great ergonomically and optically, had a lot of issues (for me) with glare...

That being said, if you get a chance to try them, do that before you can buy given how much you're spending, regardless of the model you select.
Thanks for your input
Old Saturday 23rd June 2018, 15:57   #4
Canip

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetMaker View Post
So if you could only have one between the Swarovski Swarovski 8x32 EL32, Swarovski 8x42 SLC or the Swarovski 8.5x42 EL42 what one would you get?

Seems all have there strong points and weak ones but at the end of the day what one would you pocket?

Wish birdforum had a poll option for this
Thanks
Dan

If I could only have one** , it would be the 8x42 SLC.

** Fortunately Switzerland does not regulate (yet) the maximum number of binos one can have, so I enjoy having more than one (in fact all of those named, and a few).
My choice does NOT indicate that I find the SLC optically superior to the EL, but is based on the sum of all qualities, including size, handling, price etc. etc.

Last edited by Canip : Saturday 23rd June 2018 at 18:43.
Old Saturday 23rd June 2018, 16:03   #5
PlanetMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canip View Post
If I could only have one** , it would be the 8x42 SLC.

** Fortunately Switzerland does not regulate (yet) the maximum number of binos one can have, so I enjoy having more than one (in fact all of those named, and a few).
My choice does NOT indicate that I find the SLC optically superior than the EL, but is based on the sum of all qualities, including size, handling, price etc. etc.
I can't imagine anyone anywhere that would regulate the maximum number of binos one can have, that's funny
Old Saturday 23rd June 2018, 18:14   #6
elkcub
BF Supporter 2018

Unless Canip got the last one, I'd pick the 8x42 SLC.

Ed

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 23rd June 2018, 18:24   #7
PlanetMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkcub View Post

Ed
Ok what is the 8x42 SLC doing right besides the price that the 8'5 isn't?
Old Saturday 23rd June 2018, 18:45   #8
Canip

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkcub View Post

Ed
Last time I checked, there was one left, so hurry
Old Saturday 23rd June 2018, 18:46   #9
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2018

For birding??

If so....

I've compared the three all Spring even until now. As you say each has their strong points. It depends some on your typical birding situation. ALSO depends if you are wanting ONE binocular to do everything from Florida to Oregon and everywhere in between which is somewhat of a compromise.

For ME where I normally bird...the SV 8X32 is my first choice. I'd put the SLC 8X42 as #2.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0663.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	666718  

BF Supporter 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 23rd June 2018, 19:39   #10
PlanetMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill6x6 View Post
For birding??

If so....

I've compared the three all Spring even until now. As you say each has their strong points. It depends some on your typical birding situation. ALSO depends if you are wanting ONE binocular to do everything from Florida to Oregon and everywhere in between which is somewhat of a compromise.

For ME where I normally bird...the SV 8X32 is my first choice. I'd put the SLC 8X42 as #2.
That's a clear firsthand experience that speaks volumes
How do you compare it to the Kowa 8.5x44 and do you miss it?
I'm thinking the weight was the final verdict, I had the Kowa 10.5x44 and the heft was it's demises but it haunts me how good they are and there control of CA was amazing.
I do love the size format of the Swarovski EL 8x32 and what you carry is what you use and the 32 dose that well with a tings of joy I could image.

Thanks very much
Dan
Old Saturday 23rd June 2018, 20:20   #11
Torview

Very simple for me the 8.5x42, have`nt found a weakness in its performance yet.
Old Saturday 23rd June 2018, 22:26   #12
PlanetMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torview View Post
Very simple for me the 8.5x42, have`nt found a weakness in its performance yet.
Hows the CA with the 8.5?
thanks
Dan
Old Saturday 23rd June 2018, 22:50   #13
Torview

Quote:
Hows the CA with the 8.5?
thanks
Dan
As CA free as anything I`v owned or tried, honestly, in FPro guise it simply does`nt have an area where the performance is weak, or if it does I haven`t found it after nearly two years Birding with it in all conditions, and its the first binocular I can state that about, and I`v owned Zeiss fl`s, Leica Ultravids and the legendary Nikon SE and EII.
Old Saturday 23rd June 2018, 23:46   #14
PlanetMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torview View Post
As CA free as anything I`v owned or tried, honestly, in FPro guise it simply does`nt have an area where the performance is weak, or if it does I haven`t found it after nearly two years Birding with it in all conditions, and its the first binocular I can state that about, and I`v owned Zeiss fl`s, Leica Ultravids and the legendary Nikon SE and EII.
Great review of the 8.5 something to ponder
Dan
Old Sunday 24th June 2018, 03:25   #15
oldfortyfive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill6x6 View Post
For birding??

If so....

Ditto on the SV 8x32.....I find it interesting on how many comment on glare with the SV 8x32's. I've been using mine for the last few years in South Dakota in the prairie dogs towns, about the worst possible condition for glare and have not found it much of an issue.
Old Sunday 24th June 2018, 13:59   #16
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
That's a clear firsthand experience that speaks volumes
How do you compare it to the Kowa 8.5x44 and do you miss it?
I'm thinking the weight was the final verdict, I had the Kowa 10.5x44 and the heft was it's demises but it haunts me how good they are and there control of CA was amazing.
I do love the size format of the Swarovski EL 8x32 and what you carry is what you use and the 32 dose that well with a tings of joy I could image.

Thanks very much
Dan
Kowa- I don't miss it. I still have one used very little. I haven't picked it up in months. For ME the SV 8.5X42 was much better....FOV, weight, size, edge to edge performance are all in the SVs favor.

Yep...the SV 8X32 has many attributes...with the RYUL harness one really hardly notices they even have a binocular. Handling...it's up there..very instinctive. 420ft FOV and clear edge to edge. Plenty of ER for most eyeglass wearers too.

BF Supporter 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 25th June 2018, 09:18   #17
sbb

So I was in a similar position. I was tossing up between the 32 and 42 EL's. The 32 give away very little optically to the 42, and are in a smaller package. I hate hiking with the 42mm due to the bino harnesses cutting in to the shoulders. Also travelling with the 32mm allows easier packing. There is a bit of a glare issue with the 32s but i have been using winged eye cups, and with it, glare hasn't really caused many problems for me. Good luck and enjoy :)
Old Monday 25th June 2018, 16:25   #18
jgraider

I had terrible glare issues with my 8x32's as well. I bought them intending to take them on safari in Africa. I sent them back and took the Tract Torics.
Old Tuesday 26th June 2018, 00:02   #19
PlanetMaker

What is causing the glare? front lens elements hasn't enough covering? or side glare from rear in what way?
Old Tuesday 26th June 2018, 00:55   #20
henry link

Quote:
What is causing the glare?

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=308250
Old Friday 29th June 2018, 18:00   #21
jremmons
Wildlife Biologist

Just a bit off topic, but does the new little 8x30 CL have the same glare issues as (some, such as myself) have seen with the 8x32 EL?

Thanks.
Old Friday 29th June 2018, 20:29   #22
Gijs van Ginkel

oldfortyfive, post 15,
My Swarovski 8x32 EL 2006 has joined me to a lot of places: the deserts and mountain range in South Africa, Namibi, the mountains of Kyrgystan, the countryside in Europe, the Alps in Europe, lakes and large water surfaces in a lot of places and I never had any glare issuses with the 8x32 EL.
Gijs van Ginkel
Old Friday 29th June 2018, 21:04   #23
Vespobuteo

Swarovski 8.5x42 SV for the build quality, resolution and clarity of the view. Low light performance is also very reasonable.
Old Friday 29th June 2018, 22:42   #24
Torview

Quote:
Originally Posted by jremmons View Post
Just a bit off topic, but does the new little 8x30 CL have the same glare issues as (some, such as myself) have seen with the 8x32 EL?

Thanks.
I find the new Cl much better than the 32SV.
Old Friday 29th June 2018, 22:55   #25
johnf3f
johnf3f

8.5 x 42 EL in my case. In retrospect the 32 mm ones may have been a better option due to the weight of my camera gear but I had to make decision to have one binocular to rule them all.
Surprisingly I didn't get on with the SV bins - we are all different!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: