• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

!"#-----Having an owl at home-----#"! (1 Viewer)

florionk

Hi to all. Id like some information about having a owl at home because id like to have one at home, i like these birds so much. Id like to know if u can give me information about taking care of owls. Id like to know anythinf about their food, their nests, how do they like the nest and things like these. i was thinking to buy one and keep it in ca cage, id like to know if a cage is confortable for them or not, can they live in cages? And another question, i dont have much experience with birds but i have read some articles about falconry, about the fact that falcons can be trained to reply to its masters orders, so id like to know if this can be done with owls too. By the way, there is no problem with the law if u own birds of any kind in my country (Albania)http://www.informatuttonet.com/atlante/mappe03/albania.gif
Please, if anyone of you can reply me, you can reply in the forum or at my email address [email protected].

Hi Florionk,

Welcome to BirdForum!

It is possible, but I think you will find that the owl would not like it. It will be a lot happier, free in the wild to do its own hunting. It is very exciting to sit outside, and watch an owl hunting naturally - try that instead! (and then tell us all about the owls you have seen!)

Michael

Michael Frankis said:
Hi Florionk,

Welcome to BirdForum!

It is possible, but I think you will find that the owl would not like it. It will be a lot happier, free in the wild to do its own hunting. It is very exciting to sit outside, and watch an owl hunting naturally - try that instead! (and then tell us all about the owls you have seen!)

Michael

What he said....

Rich.

Hi Florionk,

I think it would be a very wrong move on your part to get an Owl. You say you have no ideas about keeping Owls what they require etc. You may find enjoyment in raising it but the Owl would be the one that suffers. Leave it in the wild where it is supposed to live!!!!
This is a WILD BIRD forum and we beleive they should remain so not taken on somone's whim because they like them.
I think Puffins are one of the most wonderful birds in the world but there is no way I would want to take one from the wild and bring it up because of this !!!

Hi florionk

Please, please reconsider this. As everyone else has said. Owls are free flying birds of prey and as such should never be caged.

There are many living things we love to look at and to be close to but we have to consider the health and welfare of those life forms. As humans we have the capacity to make decisions that affect everything around us and as such we have to be aware of our actions, whereas the wildlife around us don't have such life threatening decisions to make. If they did then just imagine an Owl taking a fancy to you and placing you in a cage to watch. How would you feel about that.

Thankfully you have already made one excellent choice by joining this forum and asking your question. If you hadn't done that you might have gone ahead with your plans without thinking of the Owls welfare. Hopefully we have allowed you to think again about having an Owl placed in a cage for your own enjoyment.

I hope you take notice of what has been said.

This forum is a wild bird forum with members devoted to the pleasures of watching all forms of wildlife, as well as birds. I hope you will stay with us and read, and enjoy, the many threads that are posted daily. You might then begin to realise the joys of watching birds in their own habitat.

Instead of buying an Owl buy a pair of binoculars and a field guide and get out into the open country if you can. You will see birds that you didn't know exist. Ask as many questions as you can on this forum and everyone will only be too glad to help and advise.

Take the advice of Marmot and Michael. Think about it very carefully and try to put yourself in the birds place. I certainly wouldn't want to be a captive in a cage for life, however well I was being looked after.They were Born to be wild and free.

You are very unlikely to get a positive response to your idea of owning a bird. This is a wildbird/animal forum and the vast majority of members take the view that birds are not on this planet to be a personal possession of mankind.

Hi Florion,

Just to add to what everyone else has said... please do not consider keeping a wild bird, and of all things an owl, in a cage.

Many different countries, and many different cultures have different views and different opinions about all kinds of things. The keeping of animals and birds in captivity is one of those areas.

Clearly it seems from your post that there is a tradition of keeping wild birds as pets in Albania.

But why not break away from tradition, and buy those binoculars?

Instead of owning an owl as a possession, and keeping it in an unnatural environment, go out and watch the owls and the other birds in your area, from a comfortable (for the birds) distance, and learn how they live naturally. That way you will have wonderful experiences, and in a very real sense will have "ownership" of all the birds around.

You may even become so familiar with the some of the birds that you will recognise them and their habits, and be able to predict their behaviour and increase you enjoyment.

And perhaps more important... when you do go out, please come back to BirdForum and tell us about it... you will be sharing your enjoyment with many people who will never even get the chance to visit your country!

:t:

hey, can it be possible to make them live near my home withot forcing them? for example if i build a nest for them, how can i make them live in it?

Hi Florionk,

Thank you!

It would be very interesting to hear what birds you see in Albania, it is one of the least-known areas in Europe for birds.

Good luck with looking for birds!

Michael

in fact i dont have so much time to spend looking for birds even though id like to but for general information, this is mot a paradise of animals, albania is passing a terrible period, forests are being cut, and rare animals doesnt exist any more. i asked my grandpa yesterday if he had ever seen any owls and he said me that its been a long time since he hered one, dont ever thing about seing onre.

florionk said:
in fact i dont have so much time to spend looking for birds even though id like to but for general information, this is mot a paradise of animals, albania is passing a terrible period, forests are being cut, and rare animals doesnt exist any more. i asked my grandpa yesterday if he had ever seen any owls and he said me that its been a long time since he hered one, dont ever thing about seing onre.

That is a shame. I have been birding on the Greek / Albanian border opposite Corfu and the birdlife there can be extraordinarily good. It may be better than you think as it is possible that the wildlife isn't looked for in Albania on the scale it is elswhere.

oh youre rignt, nature here can be better then i greece but it isnt because of the government that albania has, its been a perod of 14 years of transition here, that means that the governmet doesnt do its job, and when the governmetn doesnt do its jom people does what they want.

Tervetuloa to Birdforum, Florionk. Good to have more internationality here.
florionk said:
hey, can it be possible to make them live near my home withot forcing them? for example if i build a nest for them, how can i make them live in it?
Our owls here in north woods like large nestboxes, at least Strix aluco that should reside Your country likes following size: height over 60 cm, diameter over 25 cm and hole over 12 cm. -Listening owls nighttime is probably easier than seeing them. To learn owls & other birds, BF has a Bird song archive, which can be found by clicking the Resources bar up right.

Hi again, Florion,

Obviously there have been very big changes in your part of the world over the last 10 - 15 years.

Nevertheless, I think it is a good sign that you, and others like you want to consider Albania's Nature as highly as everything else.

Maybe if you look hard enough you will find some wildlife or bird interest groups that will be able to give you more information about Nature in your country. The large organisations that exist in some other countries, all had small beginnings.

Maybe, if you could even start a small group in you own region.

I hope you have good luck trying to bring owls to your area. As Karwin has suggested, you could try owl boxes.

Even if the owls do not nest in the boxes, they will often use them to roost (sleep) and that may encourage them to increase their hunting territory into you area.

:t:

florionk said:
Hey thank u people, i think im reconsidering about taking an owl at home. Thank you :)

Hello again Florionk. Thank you for reconsidering about having an owl. I hope you are successful with your nest boxes. Good luck with ecouraging owls to your area. All the best John.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back