• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warblers, South of France (1 Viewer)

julienl

Hello,

Still struggling with this kind of warblers...Are these just all Reed Warblers ? Seen on september 2nd.

1-2) Same bird
3-4) Same bird

Attachments

• IMG_7561.jpg
    IMG_7561.jpg
    744 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_7563.jpg
    IMG_7563.jpg
    674.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_8227.jpg
    IMG_8227.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_8240.jpg
    IMG_8240.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 63
5-6) Same bird.
7-8-9) Same bird.

Attachments

• IMG_7991.jpg
    IMG_7991.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_7995.jpg
    IMG_7995.jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_8347.jpg
    IMG_8347.jpg
    424.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_8348.jpg
    IMG_8348.jpg
    436.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_8351.jpg
    IMG_8351.jpg
    431.8 KB · Views: 32
Thanks !

I am going to ask the obvious but on picture 4) and 7-8-9), where we can see some details, why not Marsh or even Savi's for example ? Just trying to learn.

I read that Savi's has pinkish legs, so is the dark legs on these picture enough to rule out Savi's ? Maybe it should also show darker undertail coverts.

Julienl Hi,

Legs can be variable in tonal value and are influenced by the ambient lighting and by the camera sensor, as you say the under-tail coverts would be more contrastingly scalloped, also Savi’s is a slightly bigger looking Warbler, when you “get your eye-in” you’ll be able to recognise Reed Warbler without too much trouble. :t:

Cheers

I mean on these pictures, what features rule out Marsh ?

I think without going further [there are more subtle characters for distinguishing these 2 species] that 4) and 8) are too warm brown for marsh warbler. Since you said 7-9) are the same bird that rules out 7) and 9) too. But it's true that for the second set it's more difficult as tones are quite muted [also effect of apparent over-exposure in 7/9] so others might disagree and analyse these pics more carefully.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back