• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Accomodation in Israel (1 Viewer)

Make sure when in northern Israel that you visit the 'newly' flooded area to the north of the Hula reserve. I say 'new', I think it's about 10 years old now. I've known birders visit the area and miss out on the best bit. It is visible on Google Earth.

John.

Thanks for the reminder John. Will do.

Make sure when in northern Israel that you visit the 'newly' flooded area to the north of the Hula reserve. I say 'new', I think it's about 10 years old now. I've known birders visit the area and miss out on the best bit. It is visible on Google Earth.

John.

John.

John

Is the flooded area also visible on Google Maps (can't download Earth at work)? Marked as Agamon Hula?

John

Is the flooded area also visible on Google Maps (can't download Earth at work)? Marked as Agamon Hula?

The old Hula is sometimes called Agamon (little lake) and it gets a bit confusing.

You will notice on the road leading to the 'new area' a processing plant on your left shortly after you have turned down the road. The plant is visible on Google Earth, as is Ramot Naftali. The 'old' Hula is on the road to Ha Shmura. If you take the turning to Ha Shmura you are on the wrong road.

If you scroll up from the old Hula you will see the flooded area.

John.

The old Hula is sometimes called Agamon (little lake) and it gets a bit confusing.

You will notice on the road leading to the 'new area' a processing plant on your left shortly after you have turned down the road. The plant is visible on Google Earth, as is Ramot Naftali. The 'old' Hula is on the road to Ha Shmura. If you take the turning to Ha Shmura you are on the wrong road.

If you scroll up from the old Hula you will see the flooded area.

John.

John

Is this the area where you take a golf buggy around it or is that the original reserve?

Allen

John

Is this the area where you take a golf buggy around it or is that the original reserve?

Allen

yep. Agmon ha'Hula is the place with golf buggies - most useful and the birds are accustomed to them so don't feel silly.

I found the Agmon a far superior birding spot to the original Hula reserve - much bigger and more diverse habitats, but both sites are still amazing.

For accommodation, you may wish to try Kibbutz Gadot, in the heart of the Hula - lovely place with excellent birdlife.

Cheers,

Tristan

Hi Tristan, what do they charge per night and have you any photo's of the accommodation?

John.

Hi John,

Not sure how much they charge - they do have a website though ...http://www.gadot-lodging.co.il/zimmer_gadot_e.asp

I stayed there for free as my wife was working nearby - I'm sure its no more expensive than any other kibbutz. The place is really pretty and I spent many happy hours photographing sunbirds on the flowering shrubs. It's also about a 20 minute drive from the Hula reserves, and close to the Jordan and a good base for Hermon and the Galilee, Gamla etc.

Best of luck.

Tristan

Hi Tristan, what do they charge per night and have you any photo's of the accommodation?

John.

I've just returned from a short trip to Galilee, and when comparing prices found most places near the Hula to be between 320 to 500 NIS for two people

I stayed at Kfar Ruppin, which is unfortunately an hour away from Hula, but it has some reasonable birding too (not nearly as good as ten years ago). The best bit was the exceptional value for the accommodation - just 190 NIS for two people, including a decent breakfast delivered to your chalet. That's what I pay for a Fomule1in France.

I've just returned from a short trip to Galilee, and when comparing prices found most places near the Hula to be between 320 to 500 NIS for two people

I stayed at Kfar Ruppin, which is unfortunately an hour away from Hula, but it has some reasonable birding too (not nearly as good as ten years ago). The best bit was the exceptional value for the accommodation - just 190 NIS for two people, including a decent breakfast delivered to your chalet. That's what I pay for a Fomule1in France.

Hi John,

So that's roughly £50-85 around Hula & a very reasonable £30 at Kfar Ruppin. I'm surprised at the low cost of Kfar Ruppin as I was under the impression staying in a Kibbutz was usually £50 upwards a night, certainly worth bearing in mind for future visits.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back