• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scandinavia Idea wanted (1 Viewer)

Thanks for the tip. How long does Hofn to Reykjavik take?

5h 24m according to Google Maps.

It's 459 km (from memory - I've driven it a few dozen times at least as Höfn is the best area for European vagrants in Iceland in spring and autumn) but this is one drive that you won't want to do straight through - simply because the scenery is just so great - you can't possibly drive past the glacial lagoon Jökulsárlón without stopping (this area has numerous Great Skua, Arctic Tern and sometimes Harlequin and breeding Barnacle Goose). There are also a couple of very accessible valley glaciers to look at at Skaftafell. But the road is very good all the way between Reykjavík and Höfn, no mountain passes.

Tjornes is indeed good for ptarmigan; have seen them there several times, but they can show up just about anywhere - keep your eyes open!

Kjolur should only be done with a rented 4x4 (not a Jimny!), as any other type of vehicle will not be insured! (although it's not a problem in a normal car, just uncomfortable).

Again I agree you should take a full day (better two!) for the trip from Hofn to Reykjavik. There are some spectacular natural sites along the way: Jokulsarlon (glacial lagoon), Skaftafell NP, the black beaches at Vik (lots of puffins there) and the waterfalls around Skogar. 2 days gives you enough time for the Golden Circle as well.

So to do the Golden Circle I would need to alter my plans to this. How does this look?

Day one
Land at Keflavik, drive to Garður for seabirds and then on to Stykkisholmur for the night.

Day two
Snæfellsnes peninsula - boat trip in am auks and Harlequins Stykkisholmur - drive to Myvatan for night?

Day three
then Myvatan am and drive to husavik for night.

Day four
whalewatching then drive to Hofn. Night in Hofn

Day five

From Hofn to reykjavik? Night in Reykjavik

Day six
Sight see in Reykjavik

Day seven
flight home

Not just about birds i would love to see stunning landscapes too.

Is it possible to spend just one night in Stykkisholmur - go on the eagle trip in the morning and then Snæfellsnes peninsula after, then rive to Myvatan for the night? How practical is it?

So to do the Golden Circle I would need to alter my plans to this. How does this look?

Day one
Land at Keflavik, drive to Garður for seabirds and then on to Stykkisholmur for the night.

Day two
Snæfellsnes peninsula - boat trip in am auks and Harlequins Stykkisholmur - drive to Myvatan for night?

Day three
then Myvatan am and drive to husavik for night.

Day four
whalewatching then drive to Hofn. Night in Hofn

Day five

From Hofn to reykjavik? Night in Reykjavik

Day six
Sight see in Reykjavik

Day seven
flight home

Hi Himalaya,

Having a look at some of the driving times and things you (will) want to see, how about the following more balanced itinerary:

Day 1 Flight to Keflavik, sea birds at Gardur lighthouse [10 min], drive to southern Snaefellsnes [2.5-3 h] with some birding along the way in Myrar (endemic wader subsp., ducks, Red-throated Diver). I'd suggest somewhere like Arnarstapi, cause you can do an evening visit to the cliffs to see the auks there, then nip around the peninsula in the morning to Stykkisholmur for the boat trip at 11 a.m.

Day 2 Snaefellsnes peninsula drive in the morning [2-2.5 h with stops], Breidafjordur excursion at 11 a.m. (www.seatours.is - look for White-tailed Eagle on this one), drive to Akureyri [5 h]. Again you don't need to be in Husavik early and Akureyri is a lovely little town.

Day 3 Drive to Husavik with optional stops at Vaglaskogur (forest birds) and Godafoss waterfall [2 h], whale excursion (www.northsailing.is), short drive to Myvatn [45 min], Myvatn area rest of the day, Myvatn spa to rest your weary legs :t:.

Day 4 Myvatn area in the morning (birds or amazing volcanic sites, it's up to you), long drive to Hofn [6 h] - great scenery though.

day 5 Morning drive from Hofn to Skaftafell [2 h] with stop at Jokulsarlon glacial lagoon (skua's & Harlequin Ducks) and walk in Skaftafell NP, afternoon drive to Hvolsvollur/Hella [5 h] through the sandur & lavafields, with stops at the black beach of Vik (puffins) and the waterfalls at Skogar and Seljalandsfoss.

Day 6 Drive to Gullfoss [1 h], visit the waterfall and Geysir area, drive to Reykjavik [1.5-2 h] with a stop at Thingvellir NP, afternoon in Reykjavik, night on the town B :)

Day 7 Flight home, visit Blue Lagoon if you have the time.

As you can see doing the full circle involves quite a bit of driving, but you get the full Iceland experience. If that's a bit much, I recommend driving to the Borgarnes area on day 4 (afternoon, about 5 h from Myvatn) and doing the Golden Circle at your leasure on day 5.

Let me know if you need any more info - I've been a tour guide in Iceland for 7 years so know my way around ;)

Hi Himalaya,

Having a look at some of the driving times and things you (will) want to see, how about the following more balanced itinerary:

Day 1 Flight to Keflavik, sea birds at Gardur lighthouse [10 min], drive to southern Snaefellsnes [2.5-3 h] with some birding along the way in Myrar (endemic wader subsp., ducks, Red-throated Diver). I'd suggest somewhere like Arnarstapi, cause you can do an evening visit to the cliffs to see the auks there, then nip around the peninsula in the morning to Stykkisholmur for the boat trip at 11 a.m.

Day 2 Snaefellsnes peninsula drive in the morning [2-2.5 h with stops], Breidafjordur excursion at 11 a.m. (www.seatours.is - look for White-tailed Eagle on this one), drive to Akureyri [5 h]. Again you don't need to be in Husavik early and Akureyri is a lovely little town.

Day 3 Drive to Husavik with optional stops at Vaglaskogur (forest birds) and Godafoss waterfall [2 h], whale excursion (www.northsailing.is), short drive to Myvatn [45 min], Myvatn area rest of the day, Myvatn spa to rest your weary legs :t:.

Day 4 Myvatn area in the morning (birds or amazing volcanic sites, it's up to you), long drive to Hofn [6 h] - great scenery though.

day 5 Morning drive from Hofn to Skaftafell [2 h] with stop at Jokulsarlon glacial lagoon (skua's & Harlequin Ducks) and walk in Skaftafell NP, afternoon drive to Hvolsvollur/Hella [5 h] through the sandur & lavafields, with stops at the black beach of Vik (puffins) and the waterfalls at Skogar and Seljalandsfoss.

Day 6 Drive to Gullfoss [1 h], visit the waterfall and Geysir area, drive to Reykjavik [1.5-2 h] with a stop at Thingvellir NP, afternoon in Reykjavik, night on the town B :)

Day 7 Flight home, visit Blue Lagoon if you have the time.

As you can see doing the full circle involves quite a bit of driving, but you get the full Iceland experience. If that's a bit much, I recommend driving to the Borgarnes area on day 4 (afternoon, about 5 h from Myvatn) and doing the Golden Circle at your leasure on day 5.

Let me know if you need any more info - I've been a tour guide in Iceland for 7 years so know my way around ;)

Thanks for your input Nohatch.

My itinery looks very like this now, except I turn around after Mytavn. I may have time for the blue lagoon but it looks expensive for what would probably be a one hour stop!

sounds good that does nohatch. thanks a lot for that plan.

i should have stayed 8 days and i would be in less of a rush. will book some hotels later. maybe i should get into the capital for 2pm so i can sight see and rest the night or get in late night? i will need to book the hotels later. i would rather book some in advance.

just saw the prices for blue lagoon not for me!. will have to make mind up later, about the trip.

The Blue Lagoon is just like a big bath, and an expensive one at that.
Remember Himalaya that you need to go out to the end of Snæfellsnes peninsula to see the auks, you won't see them (except Puffins and Black Guillemot) on the boat trip from Stykkishólmur. If you do go the whole circle then the big scree slopes falling down to the sea about an hour before Höfn (i.e. east of Höfn - this section of the road is a bit of a white knuckle ride) are an excellent spot for sea ducks, including Harlequin, Common Scoter and vagrant scoters - there are currently drake Surf Scoter, Velvet Scoter and King Eider there and White-winged Scoter is regular here.

E

what do you mean white knuckle ride? whay is it so bad? i will have the smallest hire car, i think it is a yaaris...will it manage?

The Blue Lagoon is just like a big bath, and an expensive one at that.
Remember Himalaya that you need to go out to the end of Snæfellsnes peninsula to see the auks, you won't see them (except Puffins and Black Guillemot) on the boat trip from Stykkishólmur. If you do go the whole circle then the big scree slopes falling down to the sea about an hour before Höfn (i.e. east of Höfn - this section of the road is a bit of a white knuckle ride) are an excellent spot for sea ducks, including Harlequin, Common Scoter and vagrant scoters - there are currently drake Surf Scoter, Velvet Scoter and King Eider there and White-winged Scoter is regular here.

E

Last edited:
what do you mean white knuckle ride? whay is it so bad? i will have the smallest hire car, i think it is a yaaris...will it manage?

Sorry, I was exaggerating. It's a windy coastal road with a steep and high drop down to the sea on one side but it's perfectly safe and quite spectacular. Nothing to worry about at all and you'll be absolutely fine with a Yaris here and everywhere else on your planned itinerary. I saw a Gyr Falcon on this section of the road once, perched on a rock by the road about 5 metres from us when we were scanning for ducks.

E

I have decided to stick to my former plan of :-

i stick to this plan then :-

Day one
Land at Keflavik, drive to Garður for seabirds and then on to Stykkisholmur or Grundarfjörður for the night.

Day two
Snæfellsnes peninsula - auks and Harlequins Stykkisholmur or Grundarfjörður for the night

Day three
A.m. Boat trip from Stykkishólmur for White-tailed Eagle
P.m. drive to Mývatn

Day four
Mývatn area

Day five
Whalewatching at Húsavík a.m.
P.m. Drive back to Reykjavík
Evening - a night on the tiles in Reykjavík

Day six
Sight see in Reykjavik

Day seven
flight home

If I try to do the full Golden circle itwould mean rushing through and not being able to give the places enough time. i will visit Iceland again I feel. Thanks all for your help

Looks like you're both taking the same route then :) you should have a great time and hopefully see all the birds you're after.

Just a few points: the Blue Lagoon is quite a nice touristy thing to do, but it is well overpriced. A cheaper alternative is the one in Myvatn (Nature Baths), which is a lot quieter and (I think) nicer too.
Don't worry about the roads; they're paved in most places, but even the gravel roads are pretty good. Just take it easy and you'll be fine. Added advantage is that there's hardly any traffic, so you can stop along the road to admire those divers, skuas, etc.
For the auks you need to be at the western tip of Snaefellsnes - the coastal walk from Hellnar to Arnarstapi is good and I think further west at Malarrif/Londrangar as well, but Edward probably has more up-to-date info.
If you have some extra time at Myvatn, you could consider doing the "Diamond Circle" - a great day trip that will take you past Husavik (whale watching), Tjornes peninsula, Asbyrgi canyon (and forest) and Dettifoss (biggest waterfall in Europe). It's paved all the way now :-C
Reykjavik party night doesn't get started till about midnight, don't even bother showing up before 11 p.m.
If you want to do some more birding around the capital: the ponds at Seltjarnarnes are great and often have Nearctic migrants (esp. waders) - also look out for interesting gulls in Reykjavik harbour.

Have a great trip!

Oh good. are all the auks best seen from Arnarstapi ?

As Nohatch, says the auks are best seen futher west than Arnarstapi (which has Kittiwake, Common Guillemot and Harlequins at the base of he cliffs, and Red-necked Phalarope on the pools at the top). Brünnich's Guillemots are generally not found here, at least I've never seen them them here. For them you have to go to Malarrif/Þúfubjarg, which is about 6 km west of Hellnar - drive until you see an obvious parking place and what looks like a a very nice green meadow on the left hand side (after driving through lots of lava) - this is just before you get to the actual turn-off to Malarrif (a lighthouse and big rock stacks). Another site is at the far NW end of the peninsula at Öndverðarnes, the cliffs are called Svörtuloft - there tend to be more of them here. Keep an eye out for Killer Whales here too.

Are there Skuas at Myvatan? I am already spending way too much money. I think Blue Lagoon will wait for my next trip!

Looks like you're both taking the same route then :) you should have a great time and hopefully see all the birds you're after.

Just a few points: the Blue Lagoon is quite a nice touristy thing to do, but it is well overpriced. A cheaper alternative is the one in Myvatn (Nature Baths), which is a lot quieter and (I think) nicer too.
Don't worry about the roads; they're paved in most places, but even the gravel roads are pretty good. Just take it easy and you'll be fine. Added advantage is that there's hardly any traffic, so you can stop along the road to admire those divers, skuas, etc.
For the auks you need to be at the western tip of Snaefellsnes - the coastal walk from Hellnar to Arnarstapi is good and I think further west at Malarrif/Londrangar as well, but Edward probably has more up-to-date info.
If you have some extra time at Myvatn, you could consider doing the "Diamond Circle" - a great day trip that will take you past Husavik (whale watching), Tjornes peninsula, Asbyrgi canyon (and forest) and Dettifoss (biggest waterfall in Europe). It's paved all the way now :-C
Reykjavik party night doesn't get started till about midnight, don't even bother showing up before 11 p.m.
If you want to do some more birding around the capital: the ponds at Seltjarnarnes are great and often have Nearctic migrants (esp. waders) - also look out for interesting gulls in Reykjavik harbour.

Have a great trip!

Are there Skuas at Myvatan? I am already spending way too much money. I think Blue Lagoon will wait for my next trip!

There are Arctic Skuas at Mývatn and at many other locations all across the country - you will see them. Away from their breeding sites Great Skuas are found at sea all around the coast - you can see them from Garður, end of Snæfellsnes and from Tjörnes north of Húsavík for sure.

Not sure if Himalaya or Trystan will see this update but there were two King Eiders at Blönduós yesterday (which you will pass through on your way north). Best looked for at mouth of river. An Italian family also claim to have seen a Polar Bear swimming in the sea north of Hvammstangi (road 708) yesterday - it could be anywhere in the Húnaflói bay area!

E

Hey Edward I did see your message but did not have time to respond. I heard about the bear from locals too. What happened to it? I looked for the King Eiders but no luck!

So far I have had a fascinating and amazing experience. I am in Reykjavik now in the Viking Hotel. Tomorrow I will see the capital and if have time go to the cliffs. I am glad I did not do the Golden Circle as I am very tired now even. I have traveleld a lot but at a more relaxed pace.

I will write a trip report when I am at home.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back