• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa 883 Eyecup (1 Viewer)

polsoy

I recently purchased a Kowa TSN-883 with the TE-11WZ eyepiece and 1.6x extender, and it works great. However, I wear glasses and my girlfriend does not, so we go back and forth with the eyecup. For my girlfriend she wishes that it would twist further to be more comfortable and often ends up twisting the eyecup off. Even when it doesn't twist off it doesn't go out far enough.

Is there an extension/replacement to the TE-11WZ eyecup that has more options than the 1-3 small turns?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

not that I know of. Also a longer eycup will still have the same travel distance between the low and high positions and might make things worse with glasses.

You could try some bicycle inner tube to create a removable extension.

PS: Welcome to birdforum!

Joachim

Last edited:
I am not familiar with the eyepiece.. My baader Zoom comes with an alternative rubber folding eyecup that can be used when the screw up assembly is removed.. İt actually comes with two rubber eyecups.. One is winged and i never use it.. That could be a solution for you.. The inner tube solution could work,just figure a way to secure the tube with another shorter piece of tu e, this way you might have a guide to fold back and forth the projecting part of it...

Hi,

I recently purchased a Kowa TSN-883 with the TE-11WZ eyepiece and 1.6x extender, and it works great. However, I wear glasses and my girlfriend does not, so we go back and forth with the eyecup. For my girlfriend she wishes that it would twist further to be more comfortable and often ends up twisting the eyecup off. Even when it doesn't twist off it doesn't go out far enough.

Is there an extension/replacement to the TE-11WZ eyecup that has more options than the 1-3 small turns?

This (free) 3D-printable design might be of interest:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2831903

It's not adjustable, but you could customize it to match your girlfriend's desired eye position for the integral eyecup in the "down" position, so she could put on the printed piece each time she wants to use the scope.

Regards,

Henning

Modding

I think there is a way:
I recently had to clean my TE-11WZ eyepiece after a windy day on Titchwell beach which caused some sand to get into it, so that when it was twisted up it made a crunching noise. On unscrewing the rubber part and pulling off the rubber, I found that a few small screws hold the plastic twist-up piece onto another piece of plastic that is then screwed onto the eyepiece. I unscrewed them (being extra careful not to lose them), separated the parts and cleaned them up: no more crunching sound.
On re-assembling it, I noticed there was an extra slot in the plastic, effectively another level of extension, that wasn't being used because of where the screws were attached, so I put one screw through another pre-existing hole so that the extra slot came into play. From then on I've been able to get a little extra extension which works better for me.
Sorry this is a bit vague, as I'm recalling from memory, but if you're okay with a little hands-on modding I assume your eyepiece could be changed too. Obviously caveats apply, I assume the warranty may be voided if you break it, so you will have to accept full responsibility for any changes you might make.
A final assumption of mine is that Kowa limit the extension for reasons of robustness; at greater extension there is less plastic holding the two pieces together and it could be more likely to break, but I accept the risk for the benefit I get.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Very interesting..thanks for sharing..Does this modification affects the lower eyecup setting now? I would think that now it would not sit completely flush at the lower level...

Very interesting..thanks for sharing..Does this modification affects the lower eyecup setting now? I would think that now it would not sit completely flush at the lower level...
The lower eyecup setting is unaffected because it's the same piece of plastic that extends it and goes right back down.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back