• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

No more tiny 8X20!! (1 Viewer)

wachipilotes

Hello ,
Yesterday I had the opportunity to try the tiny binocular Leica Trinovid 8X20 and the truth is that its use seemed very very uncomfortable, first, because the eyepieces are in my opinion, "too" small, at least for my eyes, after being a while (not much) using them my eye sores hurt, second, having double hinge I found it difficult to find the exact position and I noticed quite blackout, very uncomfortable, third, for the size of my hands this tiny Leica is too small, I do not get it right ....
On the other hand, the image quality seems fantastic to me, I also noticed that the focus wheel when using it sounded quite ...
I imagine that maybe some model 8X25 would have some advantage in this sense ..., although it is not so pocket.
Anyone can be to advice me ? I like one easy to hold, and the oversized exit pupil compared to 8x20s make them very easy to bring up to the eye and adjust with no blackouts. Of cours ergonomically the top 8x20´s are too small for me.
I likee one , maybe a 8X25 more pleasant to use, in terms of eyeplacement., bigger eyecups and one hinged, and "big" smooth focus wheel, makes overall a more pleasant experience..
Zeiss Terra double hinge 8X25 ?
Kowa BD 8x25 one hinge ?
One tiny 8X30 good quality but " quasi - pocket" ?
Some other?
Best regards,
Wachi.

Wachi,

Try the Opticron Discovery 8x32. It is arguably the tiniest 8x32 on the market. It is under 14 oz (391 grams) and approximately the same length as most 8x20-somethings. The kicker is that the barrels are contoured so that it is a slim, short 8x32. Based on your comments it might be just what you are looking for.

I have the Trinovid 8x20, Ultravid 8x20BL, Monovid 8x20, Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25, Ultravid HD 8x32.

The Victory Pocket’s replaced all of them. Sure, it’s not as pocketable as the 8x20, but the view is almost as good as the 8x32 at much lower weight and bulk. I keep mine in my inner jacket pocket. I also briefly compared it to the acclaimed Swarovski 8x30 CL B, in suboptimal conditions, but the Swarovski did not wow me compared to the Zeiss, certainly not enough to justify double the weight and price.

It’s not a replacement for 8x42 binoculars, but perfectly usable for serious birdwatching for extended periods of time without discomfort. I do wear glasses, BTW, your mileage may vary if you do not.

Last edited:
I used to use the Zeiss 8x20 victory which are better then the Leica. Not sure if you can find them anymore in Spain. But am now using the Swarovski 8x25 CL Pocket. Much easier to use.

Last edited:
We could say that an 8x25 is easier to use than an 8x20, so at a general level?
From what extent of eyerelief can we notice the blackout effect?
Thanks again
Wachi

I had most of the 8x20s, Zeiss, Leica, Nikon HG, finding eye placement difficult with all of them except the Nikon HG, but I have found the only compact to give me an excellent image, comfortable eye placement and decent FOV is the Swarovski CL Pocket 8x25, although it is a little heavier than all the aforementioned it's brighter. I am very pleased with it.

I agree with Bencw. I've also gone through various 8X20s, including the supposed best (Leica Ultravid), and just find them too fidgety to use comfortably. (I use glasses.) I have since settled on the Terra 8x25 and found them much nicer to use than the 8x20s: a nice enough middle ground between the too small 8x20s but still smaller than a "full size" 8x32, yet certainly good enough to use when I'm out and about.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back