• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New trail cam (1 Viewer)

Chkm8

Great to see this forum open. I have just bought my first trail cam and look forward to capturing some footage and sharing it with you all.
Placed last night and captured what looked like a badger in the distance. Just too far away to be sure. So out again tonight and hopefully get luckier.
Anyone here got any tips on reducing evidence of your presence. I'm worried if I return to the same spot too often I will scare them away beforeI even get a decent shot.

Best to leave the camera out for a few days, though badgers soon get used to human scent. Try not to walk over the sett itself or you will disturb them and you should bear in mind that they are legally protected against disturbance.
Which make and model trail camera do you have?

trail cam

Best to leave the camera out for a few days, though badgers soon get used to human scent. Try not to walk over the sett itself or you will disturb them and you should bear in mind that they are legally protected against disturbance.
Which make and model trail camera do you have?

Thanks for taking the time to reply. :t:
Scent was my biggest concern. Not sure where the set is and didn't go looking as the one I captured on cam seemed to be out foraging and not in and area you would expect to find a set. There are a number of well worn paths leading into the field so I have baited the area with peanuts and cat food so fingers crossed.
I have bought an Icefox trail cam based on its reviews and pretty happy with it so far.
icefox® 12MP Waterproof Wildlife Camera, 0.4S Trigger Speed Trail Surveillance Camera with 2.0 Inch Display, 1080P HD, 120 Degree Wide Angle, IP54 and 56pcs Black IR LEDs for Night Vision

John.

Looks a lot like a SecaCam camera, though wasn't aware they had one called Ice Fox.

That's one of the problems with trail cameras; there are lots of fakes out there.

Caveat emptor!

Martin.

wildlifeservices.co.uk

Just checked with SecaCam and this is one of the fakes I mentioned.

Having said that, if it does the job and lasts a few years, it may be OK.

Bear in mind that most/all fakes will probably be inferior to the 'real thing' in some way.

Martin.

wildlifeservices.co.uk

I have a cheap trail camera from Aldi, was about £70. It works well, has a great battery life, images aren't that sharp but does the job. I use almost only video mode.
Often I put a few scraps of offcuts of raw meat and bones (usually from Sunday lunch!) in front of the camera. This works well and seems to lure a lot of wildlife in, possiby too well because the scent must be on the camera too and I've had coypus and a probable otter coming and sniffing and licking at it! I'm still a bit wary as it does seem to spook some animals a bit though. Have a look at https://www.facebook.com/hungrybirdtours/ the post on 19th December 2016 is the best and includes Beech Marten, Genet and the probable otter.
Initially I tred leaving it a night or two with limited success. Now I leave it in place usually around ten days, that way you usually end up with something, sometimes loads. Afterwards I change location to give the wildlife a break and also try new habitats.
Happy camera trapping!

Thanks Martin, I just uploaded another short video on my facebook page. Mammals only this time but all in nice and close.
Best wishes,
Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back