• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

5 mins birding (1 Viewer)

Stonefaction

Dundee Birding....(target 150 in 2024).
Scotland
Just an idea I had this afternoon while a bit bored. Take 5 minutes wherever you happen to be and see what birds you see/hear in that time. So far I've done it twice this afternoon and posted lists on Twitter with #5minsbirding hashtag.

From front window, Dundee, Scotland between 1630 & 1635 - Herring Gull, Feral Pigeon, Swift, Blackbird, Starling, Woodpigeon (House Sparrow heard only).

From back window between 1645 & 1650 - Herring Gull, Feral Pigeon, Starling, Woodpigeon, Lesser Black Backed Gull (Blackbird & Magpie heard only).

Just had a chat with my neighbour for 5 mins in the back garden:

Blue Tit
Coal Tit
Wren
Swallow
Nuthatch

I need to refill the feeders!

Very quiet 5 mins from front window in Dundee in light rain. 1818-1823. Herring Gulls, Starling, Swift and House Sparrow seen. Blackbird heard only.

From front window, Dundee 1037-1042. Herring Gull, Swift, House Martin, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Jackdaw, Starling, Carrion Crow (House Sparrow & Blackbird heard only). Also what appeared to be a possible Peregrine but view too brief (also no bins).

Out of my office window overlooking tavistock square London
LBB Gull
Crow
Ring necked parakeet
feral pigeon
Blue tit
great tit

Surprising sometimes that we take what we see out of our windows for granted.

1155-1200 today from my front window in Dundee. Herring Gull, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Feral Pigeon, Woodpigeon, Starling and Blackbird (at least 5 individuals). Goldfinch, House Martin and Magpie heard only. No sign of any Swifts - possibly as a result of weather conditions though it is coming up for their usual departure date of about 8/8.

On a rather wet morning (11-1105): all waiting to be fed

House Sparrow
Starling
Blue Tit
Blackbird
Wood Pigeon

1 a minute LOL

Rainy morning 8.17 - 8.22 am from kitchen window:

Hooded Crow
Magpie
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Great Tit
Blue Tit
House Sparrow
Tree Sparrow
Chaffinch
Brambling

PS. I tried couple of more 5 minutes and got 8 and 9 species then also. All species weren't the same ones: Magpie, Woody, Chaffinch and Brambling were sometimes off sight and instead them there was Siskin, Jackdaw and Fieldfares.

Sunday Morning 5 minute stare out the window just watching... beautifully still and sunny.

House Sparrows outside the kitchen window and in the bird bath
a Dunnock under the feeders
a Robin grabbing the occasional sunflower heart
Goldfinch Galore, about 20 of them fighting for the feeders
one Great tit making the most of the fighting Goldies and grabbing some food before heading into the Buddleia to eat it..

Good to see a few others have given this a go. Had a quick 5 mins from my living room window on a day not particularly suited to birding (cold, strong winds and rain threatening) - which is why I'm at home. Unsurprisingly didn't see much variety - Feral Pigeons, Starlings and Herring Gull, with Robin heard only 1215-1220 today, Dundee, Scotland.

My most productive go yet. 1116-1120 from my front window in Dundee, as mist is finally clearing a bit this morning. 9 species seen and a further 2 heard only.

Seen - Grey Wagtail (1 seen, & 1 other heard), Herring Gull, Blue Tit (3 together), Redwing (flock of about 30), Feral Pigeon, Goldfinch, Jackdaw, Woodpigeon and Carrion Crow.

Heard - House Sparrow and Magpie.

In the last 5 mins at the feeders(viewed form window):

Red-bellied Woodpecker, Downy Woodpecker, Euro Starling, Tufted Titmouse, Carolina Chickadee, Song Sparrow, White-throated Sparrow, Dark-eyed Juno, Mourning Dove, White-breasted Nuthatch, House Finch, Northern Cardinal, House Sparrow, Yellow-rumped(Myrtle) Warbler, and Carolina Wren.

Doesn't look a particularly nice day to head out anywhere too far, so thought I would do a few #5MinsBirding spells from my windows today. First one was my most productive so far.

0939-0944 from my front window, Dundee. Herring Gull, Jackdaw, Feral Pigeon, Starling, Woodpigeon, Chaffinch, Magpie, Carrion Crow & Blackbird all seen. Goldfinch, House Sparrow, Robin and Dunnock heard only. 13 species.

If you haven't given it a shot yet and want to squeeze in some birding. Grab a coffee/cup of tea/whatever and sit back and just watch for 5 mins.

A trip to my local hospital gave me my first Grey Wagtail of the year.

I had heard that nature was good for one's health but didn't know you could get individual species on prescription.... ;)

I had heard that nature was good for one's health but didn't know you could get individual species on prescription.... ;)

It involved a nice little walk along the edge of a small, inner City River, Wagtails are always there but nature should be available on prescription :t:

Feeding the garden birds : my two usual tit species, Coal and Blue were in the hedge.... along with one I don't often see here a Great Tit.

Blackbird and Starlings waiting for their breakfast too.

Second stint at #5MinsBirding from front window today. Herring Gull, Feral Pigeon, Carrion Crow, Blue Tit, Magpie & 6 Pink Footed Geese. Starling & House Sparrow heard only. 1052-1056

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back