• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pileated Woodpecker Home? (1 Viewer)

OK_Scissortail

Oklahoma State Bird
I have two Pileated Woodpeckers on our farm. I was out looking for their home and came across this large hole and wondered if it could be their home or an old home they had. A smaller hole is below..looks fresh in the making. Wondering more about the above hole.

Attachments

• woodpeckerhole.jpg
    woodpeckerhole.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 61
Pileated Woodpeckers dig rectangular holes for feeding, but I don't know about the shape or dimensions of their nesting holes.

The tree looks a bit narrow for a Pileated nest, though you would know its true size better than I. I've heard that Pileated Woodpeckers need a tree at least 18 inches across for their nest; I could be remembering wrong, but they are definitely large birds.

Last edited:
I'll get back out once this snow and muddy mess is gone. The tree is by the creek so super soggy ground there right now. I'll look for more holes and let you know what I find.

LOL John.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back