• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Product Introduction Today From Swarovski ? (3 Viewers)

Dropped the hammer and pre ordered the NL Pure 10x42. I think it is time as my Zeiss 10x40B/GA T* Dialyt is 34 years old.

Last edited:
There is a u in the British English spelling of favourite Jan! :t: Bloomin Americans, b*rst*rd*ng our genteel language. Touché mon brave.

I look forward to your in depth (easy to understand, in layman's terms) of your examination and thoughts of the NL Pure.

Regards.

I'll get them in my hands next Thursday and will certainly share my experience with photo's.

Jan

Close focus distance is irrelevant to me personally, but if it's such a big deal why doesn't someone call Swaro and ask them if any changes were made. It's pure speculation it seems?

So I did and the answer was: "Ehhh...did we?.....Can I call you later with the right answer?".
But it is Friday now in the afternoon so this will be presumably on Monday.
To be continued:t:

Jan

Close focus distance is irrelevant to me personally, but if it's such a big deal why doesn't someone call Swaro and ask them if any changes were made. It's pure speculation it seems?

No JG its based on how Swaro have changed EL specs on their website.

Lee

So who is in ...?

So with this tremendous amount of chatter, how many are in for the new NL Pure..?

12X for me as soon as I can land a pair here in USA...!

Swarovski AG is comprised of the Crystal business €2.7B, a tool maker called Tyrolit €676M, and Swarovski Optik €156M of which Optik has by far the smallest turnover. This is not so different from Leica and Zeiss.

But their marketing is always slick!

Lee

That is actually a super impressive performance, maintaining a world class binocular business on a revenue base of way less than $200mm.

Just re checked the data sheet for the EL and these coatings are listed SWAROTOP, SWARODUR, SWAROCLEAN, SWAROBRIGHT so this is the same as the pre NL.

If any of the other major brands decided to dumb down their previous top line binocular to make their new binocular, which is astronomically priced, look better, they would be excoriated on these pages.

Its a bit cynical if you ask me. They did it with the SLC, ATM/ATS and now the EL.

Its a bit cynical if you ask me. They did it with the SLC, ATM/ATS and now the EL.

Very !

They may even be bolting that unit in, or making similar changes. It's a beancounter and shiny pants decision, rather than providing the best. Legend ? or Has-been ? Surely this is going to affect the capabilities on geewhizzits ?!

That's surely got to factor into the purchase decision of any potential new customers ..... :-C

Chosun :gh:

the marketing guys said 'don't mess with the legend' when asked whether EL
will still be on offer. Well sure seems like they are messing with it by changing specs to get people to buy the NL. What a rotten thing to do to diminish the EL this way. Begs the question will they subtly tweak down other things besides just close focus.

Deplorable ! :eek!: (as they say in your country :-O )

Chosun :gh:

No JG its based on how Swaro have changed EL specs on their website.

Lee

I think JG means that it's pure speculation whether they have just changed the description or actually changed the binocular. It seems an absurd step to increase your production cost by introducing a physical change to an existing product, while simultaneously dropping the price. If they have calculated the increase in NL sales would outweigh that . . . then I suppose, but for how many people will the close focus be the thing that makes them buy an NL as opposed to, say, a used EL?

However, as you mention, it may be a simple (low cost) manufacturing change by installing some sort of "stop" on the focus travel . . . which would be really infuriating. A binocular that is otherwise fully capable of focusing down to 2m but having a "limiter" on it to prevent it from doing so???

Pure speculation :-O

Last edited:
It seems only the 42 shows this change in the technical specs area, the 32 & 50 models seem unchanged.

Just seen the 32 has increased by 40cm.

I think the 8.5 FP was priced at $2659 or around that. B&H dropped the price to $2149, a $600 drop. I'd call that significant!

I buy pretty much all my Camera Equipment from B&H and who would you consider for Bins and optics..? I see B&H has lots of Optics but bought all my optics fro Adorama...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back