• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

PLEASE help me decide b/w ultravid & FL (2 Viewers)

308CAL

8x42

I want the Leica's but I am concerned they will come out with a new FL or ED model soon.
Since I am not a "birder", I am unsure how much CA will effect me. The Ultravids cost alot more than the FL's.
Why?

Also transmission and Flare how do the 8x42's stack up against each other? i have seen the annoying "halo" sometimes at the worst of times in my 8x42Fl's... DO the ultravids have this issue?

I like the compactness of the ultravids do to their use os SP prisms instead of abbe-konig

I really am looking for input here on both of these and why either is "better" to any of you than the other... I have searched a zillion posts on here and read steve's info on the truth about optics. Obviously, there is a zeiss slant there.....
Please gimme some idea
I like the Leica warranty---no fault but it is not transferrable the zeiss is?

SO in short:
low-light?
flare/halo effect
ruggedness
size
collimation?

who wins each category...

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO RESPONDS!
Thank u for all the help

In the categories you listed there probably isn't a dimes worth of difference between the two of them; especially optically. The price differential is probably caused by the materials used in constructing the the binocular's housings. Leica uses Titanium and Magnesium to save weight. Other than that, try both of them out thoroughly, determine which one better suits your particular need, which one feels best in your hand, which one has the "view" you like best and then take your own advice and buy that one.

cordially,
Bob

Last edited:
Have you checked the Alula reviews on these two models? I think they are both on there. If I remember correctly, the Ultravid was said to have a bit more flare, but you better look it up for yourself.
At any rate, I have no complaints about my 8x42 FL; whereas you'd better check the focus on that particular Ultravid you buy. I once checked a 8x42 Ultravid, and its focus was perfect, whereas the focus on the 10x42 Ultravid I had available at the same time was incredibly coarse. It was simply impossible to fine-focus! Otherwise fine glasses. And a bit more compact.

308CAL said:
8x42

I want the Leica's but I am concerned they will come out with a new FL or ED model soon.
Since I am not a "birder", I am unsure how much CA will effect me. The Ultravids cost alot more than the FL's.
Why?

Also transmission and Flare how do the 8x42's stack up against each other? i have seen the annoying "halo" sometimes at the worst of times in my 8x42Fl's... DO the ultravids have this issue?

I like the compactness of the ultravids do to their use os SP prisms instead of abbe-konig

I really am looking for input here on both of these and why either is "better" to any of you than the other... I have searched a zillion posts on here and read steve's info on the truth about optics. Obviously, there is a zeiss slant there.....
Please gimme some idea
I like the Leica warranty---no fault but it is not transferrable the zeiss is?

SO in short:
low-light?
flare/halo effect
ruggedness
size
collimation?

who wins each category...

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO RESPONDS!
Thank u for all the help

I like the Leica's better because they are tougher and I feel and there is not much difference between Ultravids and Trinovids. You should really check out the 8x32's though because there is not much difference between 8x32's and the 8x42's and the smaller glass is so much nicer to carry and handle. Check E-bay for bargains. Look for an 8x32 Leica Trinovid BN. Alot of times you can get them for about $700.00 to $800.00 for a like new pair. A good value.

Dennis

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back