• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BEST 7x42 (1 Viewer)

308CAL

I have the SLC new in 7x42 and A couple years ago I compared it wit hthe ultravid in 7x42 and ultravid in 8x42. I preferred the eyecups, sweet spot, and focus wheel of the SLC. THe rest was a toss up. I tested for flare, brightness etc and the SLC was as good or better. The only category it lost was weight.

I have always said if there was a 7x42 EL it would be a hit.

i also had and sold the 8x42FL w/o lotutec and didnt like the small sweet spot but brightness and sharpness in the center was great.

Overall i like the swaro because of the wise sweet spot.

I have looked at the 8x32 meopta but going from the roomy 6mm exit pupil of the slc to the 4mm of the meostar was not for me. Also the lens covers and eyecups were not as good on the meopta but the image was nice

If you could get any 7x42 which would it be and why? which have you actually seen?

I havent seen the ultravid HD in any configuration nor have i seen the 7x42 FL.

I heard the meopta 7x42 is great but i havent seen it and if it has the same lens covers and eyecups as the 8x32, i would not get it.

When you have one alpha class glass and really like it, I advise you to just stick with it and enjoy it. When you get up to that class of glass, personal preferences dealing with how well your eyes match the optical system of the binocular are a lot more important than whether it is Z, L, S, Nikon or Meopta. That, and how it feels and handles for you. That is kind of a how many angels can dance on the head of a pin argument. The 7x EL would be nice to see, but I think they they would shoot a hole their market for the 7x42 SLC. Look at whatever you can find and listen to what your eyes tell you.

All of the alpha 7x42 are pretty heavy, except the Ultravid is lighter. So is the Nikon EDG.

Last edited:
I have the SLC new in 7x42 The only category it lost was weight.

If memory serves we both got our 7x42B SLCs from the same source within weeks of each other. It is an excellent bin. But I concur, the 33.5 ounces can be a literal pain. And I agree with Steve.... no profit in swapping among Alphas.

What I've done instead is to seek an excellent non-Alpha 7x that is much lighter. While I've just received it today and am still wringing it out, I'm pretty comfortable saying I scored yet again with the Zen-Ray 7x36 with it's ED glass, wide 477' FOV and 22 ounce weight.

So bob are you selling the slc's & keeping the chinese glass.

Honestly, I originally thought that would be the game plan. But of late I keep thinking that I'll never get enough out of the Swaros given the economy; and they'd be very expensive to replace if I had seller's regrets. So as nice as I'm finding the lighter weight and wider FOV Zen ED2s, I think the Swaros will stay but get relegated to local use rather than being packed out anywhere. My neck objects too much. But no question that the ED2s will see a lot of use heretofore the exclusive domain of the Swaros.

How do they handle flare or stray light? Think their customer service will be as good as swaro?
I dropped mý swaros, they still are in alignment, wonder if the zen rays will are as durable.
So are the zen rays better than the swaro?

How do they handle flare or stray light? Think their customer service will be as good as swaro?
I dropped mý swaros, they still are in alignment, wonder if the zen rays will are as durable.

SCV,

Take a look at the various Zen-Ray threads in the "Other" Bin subforum. You'll find your answers there.

They're darned fine bins but no one is saying they are fully equal to Alphas. In many areas the do match up well. Still we're talking a $400 bin versus $2000 :)

I know your China position, so didn't suggest these to you. However, if you want good 7x glass that is substantially lighter than the 7x SLC, and will keep the wide fov, the ZEN 7x36 are your ONLY option (OK the 7x42 Ultravids are smaller but not as small as the ZEN). So hence my advice to keep the SLC. Other good optical alternatives are the Swift Eaglet 7x36 (japanese) and the Leupold Switch power 7/12x32, but the less fov will really jump out at you. The image is a tick less than the ZEN too.

"Better" is relative to what your definition of need is. ZEN is pretty new, and no, there is no guarantee they will last. How durable they are is still open to question, the whole line is too new. But they are as substantially built as is anything much less than $750. Certainly as well built as anything $600 and below.

Flare/stray light is a non issue for me, evidently not for some. So far there is no one who has complaints with Z-R customer service. Since the Swaros seem to better suit your view of better, another reason to stick with them.

The zen seemd like a great bino but I won't knowingly support china so they are out for me.

Back to topic: john traynor awhile ack was saying he would get the slc over the ultravid if he were buying today. I was hoping he would chime in.

Oh lastly the slc new 7x42 is not 2000. Its 1100-1200 new.
Which is one of the cheapest "alpha" full size binos available

Oh lastly the slc new 7x42 is not 2000. Its 1100-1200 new.
Which is one of the cheapest "alpha" full size binos available

Understood.... but I was thinking more in terms of the EL or Ultravids, etc. that are much more expensive than the SLCs. After all you wanted to consider alternatives to the SLCs you now have. I ponied up the ED2s which you've now dismissed, so.....

BTW the China connection is hard to duck. I pulled out some frozen concentrated apple juice this morning and was astounded to see the label identified it as a product of China. What isn't these days?

Last edited:
I was with John comparing the 7x42 SLCs to the Ultravids shortly before he made that comment. Hopefully he will chime in.

I can say this much. On that day, in that comparison, the SLCs new displayed less CA and better edge sharpness than the Ultravid. The Ultravid was brighter, smaller and lighter. Either is a superb 7x42 as is the Meopta.

BTW the China connection is hard to duck. I pulled out some frozen concentrated apple juice this morning and was astounded to see the label identified it as a product of China. What isn't these days?

308 did say "Knowingly". Perhaps ZR should have some minor piece left unassembled and slap a "Assembled in USA" sticker on them so as to ease the minds of people like 308. You can't even get an American car without foreign parts but not many people know this so it doesn't burden their minds. Wouldn't the same be fair for binos too?

308 did say "Knowingly". Perhaps ZR should have some minor piece left unassembled and slap a "Assembled in USA" sticker on them so as to ease the minds of people like 308. You can't even get an American car without foreign parts but not many people know this so it doesn't burden their minds. Wouldn't the same be fair for binos too?

That wouldn't meet the requirement for "Assembled in the USA" ... sustantial transformation is required.

There is another thread were I go into this in detail ;)

I think a lot of good points are made here the most important one is "chasing Alphas". The trick is to find the one you like and stick with it until you are sure a better one comes along. And when that happens don't sell the old one until you're sure.

Bob strategy is a novel one too: making the most of less expensive but still very good bins. A decent porro might fall into this category too but there are not many new 7x porros out there.

As an alternative 7x42 I viewed through some Weaver Grand Slam 7x42 roof binoculars yesterday at my local optics dealer. Japanese made with an 8 degree FOV and a 56 Afov. Build quality was excellent and optically it was reminisant of my B. and L. Discoverers with the PC-3 phase coating / FMC / XRT lens which means good mid level range optics. Mild curvature of field on the periphery is noticed but no other obvious major aberrations are overtly noted. D.O.F. is very good is the contrast. Ergonomics were excellent.
I have seen very few reviews / comments on the Weaver series of binoculars.
Just unsure what the availabilty of these are world wide.
I am aware they may not be the 'best' but it is good to be aware of them.

Chris

http://www.opticsplanet.net/weaver-binoculars-grand-slam-849627.html

Hi 308CAL,

I have Swarovski SLCNew 7x42B as well. I like them and can confirm what you are saying.

Compared them to Zeiss Victory FL 7x42 earlier this summer.
Yes, the Zeiss is sharper on-axis and the image is more contrasty. But the sweet spot and ease of view of SLC7x42 is hardly beaten. Eye relief is also better. I like the holding comfortability better with SLC7x42, though I can sometimes agree with people about it would be good if they were 200gram lighter.

I could get a good amount of money if I sold the Swarovski because of the high trade-in value. But I think I would regret it. SLC7x42 is great binoculars! I don't want to sell them!

Regards, Patric

Last edited:
Me, I vote for the 7x42FL.

I second that vote. I have tried alot of the 7x42's and I liked the Zeiss the best if price is no criteria. The sharpness of the sweet spot and the lack of CA and beautiful rendition of colors do it for me. I find the Swaro without any type of ED lens to have more CA and much muddier color presentation. It's not good to learn what CA does to your image because once you know what to look for it is hard to live with it. Color become much more complex because you can see ALL the different shades of blue when observing birds. The Swaro's just don't bring out all those different gradients of color like the Zeiss FL's do. Even the Zen Rays ED outperform the Swaro's in this respect because of their ED lenses.

Dennis

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back