• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some of my wildlife art (1 Viewer)

resparza

Hi everyone. I just joined BirdForum and I'm having a lot of fun looking at everyone's gorgeous art, it's very inspiring!

I do some drawing and painting but not as often as I'd like to do it. I promise I'll post some of that in the near future.

In the meantime I chose the attached image as the first example of my bird/wildlife art o:D I made it for a christmas celebration a few years ago, and we were supposed to break it in the middle of the party. At the end nobody dared to break it, so it stayed as a home decoration item until the following christmas.

Cheers!

Rodrigo

Last edited:
Hi Rodrigo - welcome to Birdforum!!! I love this and I can see why no-one dare break it up (how could they!?). Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Thanks Tim! By the way I just bought your book and I'm learning a lot from it. Soon I shall be putting the advice in it into practice :)

I was looking around and I realised I don't have any of my drawings/paintings. I've given them all as presents for friends and relatives all over the world.

Anyhow, I found a copy of a local bird guide from Western Mexico that published some drawings I made about ten years ago, when I was a biology student.

I don't like them so much anymore because most of them are anatomically incorrect (some have very surreal poses, wrong proportions, the toes/talons are a disgrace, etc.). I was basically using the "to circles" approach to drawing them and didn't know any better, I guess. Nonetheless I still like [some of] them in a "ten years ago" kind of way. I attached some selected images from that book (sorry about the quality of the pictures; I just took them directly from the book). All of them are prismacolor pencil drawings on some kind of texture-free paper whose specs I can't even remember anymore.

I'll put some more contemporary works later on. Since I'm still a total amateur with no artistic formation whatsoever, any feedback would be greatly apreciated :)

-Rodrigo

Last edited:
Hey-hey, now there's an interesting bunch, for sure. Some very accomplished illustrations here, many thanks for posting them. Lovely work.

Hey-hey, now there's an interesting bunch, for sure. Some very accomplished illustrations here, many thanks for posting them. Lovely work.

Nice to see them Rodrigo. An interesting collection as Tim says, and many of them look familiar. Soon our Baltimore Orioles may be passing your way.

Welcome to the forum and hope to see some new work soon.

Thank you guys! I'll be posting some newer works as soon as I can.

Ken, At the moment I'm living in Northern Finland so I probably won't get any of your Baltimore orioles... but if you send some this way, you'll make a couple of hundred birders very happy :)

-Rodrigo

Thank you guys! I'll be posting some newer works as soon as I can.

Ken, At the moment I'm living in Northern Finland so I probably won't get any of your Baltimore orioles... but if you send some this way, you'll make a couple of hundred birders very happy :)

-Rodrigo

I'll do what I can Rodrigo! Seems there are all sorts of birding surprises these days, though I have to admit Baltimore Orioles in Finland may be a stretch.;)

Hi Rodrigo,
Ok, some of the proportions may be a bit 'stiff' but the coloured pencil technique you've deployed is bloody excellent. Imagine how good they'd look like in more interesting, albeit more difficult, poses!

Let's see some more, sir!

Russ

Hello. I'm back to this thread after I abandoned it for a while. I have been on a holiday in central Austria. Although it was not strictly a birdwatching trip, I got to see some cool birds and other creatures, including some lifers :t:

Now I need to get my bird drawing restarted. I just made a few pencil sketches using photos I took during my trip as a reference. I realised I'm not a good sketcher, but I guess I just need to practice every day to get better... Quite often I wish I had chosen art instead of science as a career.

So here they are. Soon I'll get inspired enough to use some of those birds in a composition for a nicer project.

Last edited:
...and also a marmot and a blue tit who came earlier to my new bird feeder. I shall practice drawing birds from life with these garden birds.

Last edited:
Fine drawings, Rodrigo. The first thing is to be able to use a pencil - and you can certanly use a pencil!!! These are really good drawings - I'm a fan of the marmot. Great stuff.

Thanks Tim! I still have the feeling that some of my drawings are not "quite right", but i'm confident i'll be able to improve with more practice

Quite often I wish I had chosen art instead of science as a career.

Not that I followed this path but I think a number of people have. The newest I read about just the last few days is James Coe who was the Master Artist at Birds in Art this year. I just got the catalog and it mentions how he started off with a degree in Biology from Harvard, did a number of scientific field trips and then decided to go to art school for an MFA. Since then he's both illustrated field guides and done numerous paintings, some of which are beautiful landscapes with the birds well hidden in them. In any case he's a good example of switching careers, at least if what I read is wholly accurate.

Very nice sketches as Tim says. Keep at it!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back