• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Off Camera Flash and Blind (1 Viewer)

wallyr8

The Older We Get, The Better We Were
The small stream where I am trying to photograph Dippers is dark and a bit gloomy. Occasional spots of sunlight show through the known feeding areas, but generally the spot is quite dark, iso1250/f4/80th, at best.

I've been experimenting with two remote flash units mounted outside the blind and Pocket Wizard triggers to fire them, but the challenge is directional view when the flash are set at 105mm.... So, I was wondering if there is a contraption that would turn flash heads to follow the camera direction. In my mind, I envision a small unit attached to a sidewinder or a gimbal that would move a flash holder to the same direction as the camera....

Do any of you setup lighting outside a blind?

Maybe I am making this more complicated than it really is :)

Regards,
Wally

Update....

I figured out a way to cover a relatively broad area with two strobes. It seems to work alright, but not sure if there is another process to use while sitting and waiting for visitors.

Cheers, Wally

Attachments

• _K5G1901.jpg
    _K5G1901.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
I can't help with your problem as I don't use flash but that looks like a great set up Wally.....it looks like you're using a carp fishing brolly which I sleep under regularily when I'm fishing.

Hey Chalky.... Yes, its an old Nash Titan bivvy and a bit of tatty camo hanging in front. I'm also a carp angler, mostly overnight sessions when time and work allows.

Cheers, mate.
Wally

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back