• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice on head+tripod for ATS 80 (1 Viewer)

Fedster

Finland
Hi All,

I normally use a 'monopod' I made for my scoping (I know, I am a redneck), but I would like to get a tripod for my Swaro ATS 80. I am currently thinking of a Sirui R-2204 R-Series Studio + some fluid head, ideally one that would fit said tripod and would allow a quick fitting/releasing of the scope without having to attach a plate to the scope. I am quite happy that the tripod might do (though, as a rank beginner I am always open to advice), but I have no idea of a compatible fluid head with quick release.

Hi,

the tripod looks stable enough, regarding a head which fits the ATS80 without a plate I know Swarovskis own DH101 and the Manfrotto 128RC. I think both are not ideal if you want to digiscope - I have the 128RC and prefer a 500AH which is more stable and due to the long plate allows proper balance with a camera.

Joachim

I think the Sirui is a great choice - i'm pretty sure they have a leg that you unscrew from the main plate so you have a monopod as well. Not sure if that feature is available on the R Series which you are looking at..

I'm currently looking at the N3203x model.

I use a Sirui VA-5 fluid head which seems to be directed towards birders and scopes...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1091121-REG/sirui_bsrva5_va_5_ultra_compact_video_head.html

Its a really compact head which I run both my spotting scopes..

cheers
Jeelan

Attachments

• _DSC0154.jpg
    _DSC0154.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 107
  • _DSC0156.jpg
    _DSC0156.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back