• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Austin Tx - Hawk ID please (1 Viewer)

PhotoSyko

I'm leaning toward Cooper's. Looks like he's been in a scrap of some kind.

Thanks,

Chuck

Taken today, 5/13/2018

Attachments

• Hawk timeBF.jpg
    Hawk timeBF.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 40
Thanks Ken. It looked like too much barring on underside to me, but now I see that malar stripe that I must have dismissed as shadow.

Very much appreciate the ID.

It is a mature moulting Broad-winged Hawk. The broad white bar in the middle of the tail is the defining mark. Cooper's Hawks have a longer gray tail with equal width black bands. Broadwings are migrating north now and the other day I saw a couple of them flying over Interstate 81 near where I live. They were taking advantage of the thermals coming off it. Their white banded tails were easy to see, even from my car.

Bob

Last edited:
It is a mature moulting Broad-winged Hawk. The broad white bar in the middle of the tail is the defining mark. Cooper's Hawks have a longer gray tail with equal width black bands. Broadwings are migrating north now and the other day I saw a couple of them flying over Interstate 81 near where I live. They were taking advantage of the thermals coming off it. Their white banded tails were easy to see, even from my car.

Bob

This is a little funny, because I do not recognize that tail as typical for the Broad-wings I most often have seen: Caribbean birds in Dominica (there is at least one additional prominent pale band visible in the tail). There is a reason they are different subspecies.

Niels

This is a little funny, because I do not recognize that tail as typical for the Broad-wings I most often have seen: Caribbean birds in Dominica (there is at least one additional prominent pale band visible in the tail). There is a reason they are different subspecies.

Niels

Wheeler notes that in his "Raptors of North America" series and has photographs in the Chapter on the Broad-winged Hawk showing birds with more than one white band. See plates 249, 252 and 253 of adult birds.

Here is a quote from the section on "ADULT TRAITS TAIL (dorsal).-Black with one pale gray band on mid-section of the dorsal side, sometimes an additional narrow white or pale gray band at the base. TAIL (ventral),-Black with one broad white band that is always visible on the mid-section. When fanned, an additional one or two narrow white bands may also show."

He also notes that a "single broad white band shows when the tail is closed." in plates 250 and 251 and in plate 249 he notes that "Many birds show 2 broad white bands when tail is fanned." And in Plate 252 "Some show up to 3 broad white bands; .."

So, it seems that whether or not the tail is fanned can determine how many white bands can be seen but there is always one wide central band visible.

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back