• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2018. (1 Viewer)

Another roll!.... a silent Lesser Whitethroat skulking in the Hawthorn at 7.10am. no.67.

And returning at 7.30am in the Sallow, FWIW....this if memory serves is the first Spring bird ''seen'' in the garden, previous records have (a long time ago) been ''rattling'' only.

Attachments

• P1710174.jpeg  Grdn.LW..jpeg
    P1710174.jpeg Grdn.LW..jpeg
    124.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Definitely on a roll!...seen twice over the last two days...but not from the house, today was the day at 7.15am a Hobby broke the skyline. no.68.

Floodpool in the meadow still doing well - Black-tailed Godwit and Wood Sandpipers again this week, plus two Great White Egrets.

But additions for the year all incoming migrants:

87. Cuckoo
88. Wryneck
89. Common Rosefinch

Can't compete with Jos in the Premier Division! But hey......never had a roll like this before...had one over at the local station bus stop yesterday and mused.....moments ago no.69. Common Tern.

Can't compete with Jos in the Premier Division! But hey......never had a roll like this before...had one over at the local station bus stop yesterday and mused.....moments ago no.69. Common Tern.

Spent the last few days scanning for Common Tern - shouldn't have managed one of those by now, they breed on a pool that is out if sight, but usually can see them flying above it.

Spent the last few days scanning for Common Tern - shouldn't have managed one of those by now, they breed on a pool that is out if sight, but usually can see them flying above it.

Certainly haven't been annual for me, although last year I had several fly overs.

Interestingly yesterday afternoon arrived at the bus stop adjacent to the train station, having stood there for perhaps 5mins. when one flew over...and I mused, then realising that it was a reduced Sunday service. I decided to walk the c1.5 miles home when I saw a Hobby en route...my second musing, then today "voila" the latter at 10.40am and the former at 7.15am.

Dang, bout a month since last update. Too busy with work.

74. Curlew
75. Teal
76. Barn swallow
77. Water rail
78. Common tern
79. Grey Heron
80. Canada Goose
81. Lesser black-backed gull
82. Common sandpiper
83. Barnacle goose
84. Pied flycatcher
85. Redstart
86. Yellow wagtail
87. Blackcap
88. Tree pipit
89. Whimbrel
90. Ruff
91. Willow warbler
92. Red-backed shrike
93. Greenshank
94. Whinchat
95. Sedge warbler
96. Cuckoo
97. Lesser whitethroat
98. Thrush nightingale
99. House martin
100. Garden warbler
101. Common whitethroat
102. Wood sandpiper

Water rail & Canada goose were garden lifers, rail also new tick for this town.

Floodpool in the meadow still doing well - Black-tailed Godwit and Wood Sandpipers again this week, plus two Great White Egrets.

But additions for the year all incoming migrants:

87. Cuckoo
88. Wryneck
89. Common Rosefinch

I have seen White Egrets too down in Florida and they are Very Pretty birds and I sure have seen them out in the wild and they love to have their picture taken because I had a picture of the white egret and he had very pretty blue eyes.

Arriving thick and fast at the moment:

56 Chestnut-Sided Warbler
57 Least Flycatcher 13 May 2018
58 Great Crested Flycatcher 13 May 2018
59 Rose-breasted Grosbeak 13 May 2018
60 Veery 15 May 2018
61 Swainson's Thrush 15 May 2018
62 Magnolia Warbler 15 May 2018
63 Black-throated Blue Warbler 15 May 2018

Dang, bout a month since last update. Too busy with work.

74. Curlew
75. Teal
76. Barn swallow
77. Water rail
78. Common tern
79. Grey Heron
80. Canada Goose
81. Lesser black-backed gull
82. Common sandpiper
83. Barnacle goose
84. Pied flycatcher
85. Redstart
86. Yellow wagtail
87. Blackcap
88. Tree pipit
89. Whimbrel
90. Ruff
91. Willow warbler
92. Red-backed shrike
93. Greenshank
94. Whinchat
95. Sedge warbler
96. Cuckoo
97. Lesser whitethroat
98. Thrush nightingale
99. House martin
100. Garden warbler
101. Common whitethroat
102. Wood sandpiper

Water rail & Canada goose were garden lifers, rail also new tick for this town.

Brainticket: Your garden seems to be in a really good spot! :t:

I've also had a good week (Not quantity, but quality):
#54. Pied Flycatcher - OK, this is a basic thing at this time of year.
#55. Long-tailed Duck - Now you're talking! This garden lifer flew in same flock as next one. (Actually there was about 30 - 40 Lt Ducks)
#56. Common (or Black) Scoter - Other garden lifer! First flock I saw was a mixed flock with CS's and LtD's but in a few minutes from the West become a pure flock of Common Scoters. (In first flock I would say there was about 50 CS's and in second flock there was about 100 of them.)
#57. Greater White-fronted Goose - And other garden lifer! This was a day after LtD's and CS's. I count 6 GWfG's from Barnacle Geese flock.
#58. Thrush Nightingale - Heard only. This has been annual also and I have never seen it in - or from - my garden.

After all these superb birds I just wondering - where are all White Wagtails? I have seen them plenty outside of my garden...

For any fellow inadequates reading this thread:-
47 - Sand Martin - 28th April
48 - Swift - 2nd May
49 - Chiffchaff - 5th May

Of these, 38 photographed.

All the best

All the best

Floodpool still doing its stuff- the Little Grebes now incubating, one Black-tailed Godwit still present. Two Great White Egrets from the general area of the heronry.

Additions for the year:

90. Swift
91.Thrush Nightingale
92. Icterine Warbler
93. Garden Warbler
94. Greenfinch

Last edited:
At May 16th:

#59. Common Swift - Now I know the summer has really started. B :)
#60. Sterna sp - Not sure was this a Common or Arctic :eek!:

And yesterday:

#61. Honey Buzzard - Nicely glide over me. This was just a second time I see it from my garden. :t:

Its been over 3 weeks since a new one for the year - singing some distance away on the night of the 19th May and last night again..

56. Red-necked Nightjar

Think my ''roll'' has ground to a halt! Frustratingly with 3 more ''possibles'' over the last couple of days, unfortunately all fleetingly too quick! A silent Cuckoo, what sounded like a Turtle Dove with 2-3 single ''purrs'' perhaps 10 seconds between each, and a distant BOP that wasn't a CB...Such is life!

However the weather has been good, and I took a few shots from the window, with the LTTit juvie being a plumage tick for me!

Attachments

• P1710137.jpeg  Foxy 1..jpeg
    P1710137.jpeg Foxy 1..jpeg
    226.9 KB · Views: 32
  • P1710267.jpeg  Tawny in hedge..jpeg
    P1710267.jpeg Tawny in hedge..jpeg
    181.7 KB · Views: 32
  • P1710289.jpeg   LTT no1..jpeg
    P1710289.jpeg LTT no1..jpeg
    102.5 KB · Views: 34
  • P1710296.jpeg   Holly Blue.jpeg
    P1710296.jpeg Holly Blue.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 28
  • P1710257.jpeg  Corvid Sprawk 1.jpeg
    P1710257.jpeg Corvid Sprawk 1.jpeg
    48.7 KB · Views: 40
Mega day - as well as residents such as Golden Oriole and Red-backed Shrike, the superb floodpool is still holding a good amount if water and producing amazing birds. TWO new species for my land today, both waders - a male Ruff in full summer dress and an amazing Marsh Sandpiper, a pretty uncommon bird in Lithuania. Seven wader species in all, plus Little Grebes still incubating, two Whooper Swans still present, three Garganey and one Great White Egret. After dark, to a racket of frogs and booming Bittern, one Woodcock roding, eighth wader of the day.

Additions for the year:

95. Ruff
96. Marsh Sandpiper
97. Woodcock
98. Golden Oriole
99. Red-backed Shrike

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back