• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hybrid Gull??? (1 Viewer)

dan pointon

Can't Stop
Bit of a gull puzzler for everyone, with that thread raging elsewhere on the forum about gull watching being for experts, I think, looking at this i'd be inclined to say yes, lets see if any of them can dechiper anything from this:

Today me and Reader called in at Poolsbrook CP on our way back from Sheffield, to see what gulls were about. We arrived and began to scan the gull flock, and then I noticed a very strange bird at the back of the group (pics below). To give an idea of size, probably not obvious from the pictures, it was almost the same size as the surrounding Herrings in body, yet the bill was quite large, not to mention almost entirely pink, and the head was sqaurish. The mantle was very dark where marked, and the head and nape was a uniform grey buff.

I have posted two of the better shots of the gull, and another for size comparison with the other gulls, but I also have some more shots of it in various other poses, if anyone wants to see any other features, just ask and I can post some other pics.

Hope someone can figure this out, because i'm pretty much stumped besides a hybrid GBB x Herring.

So JanJ and Lou, any ideas?

Cheers

Attachments

• DSCN1349_1.jpg
    DSCN1349_1.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 258
  • DSCN1368_1.jpg
    DSCN1368_1.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 220
  • DSCN1363_1.jpg
    DSCN1363_1.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Hi Dan,

That's a werad looking freak... er... Gull.

I'll be bold and vote for a young female GBBG on the small side (ie minimum size).
Plumage pattern looks ok to me for that species, Tertials are ok as are median and greater coverts and the rest of the wing. As for the pale bill well Gulls are weard, I've comme across it aswell at this age (remember my last querry regarding Gulls?)

As for shape (I can'tmake much jizz out of this) the head looks ok for GBBG alouth kinda of 'smoothed out', 'less menacing'. Bill also looks ok ,again smoothed out though.

I wait for Lou and JanJ so that they can shoot me down :),

Dimitris :scribe: :smoke:

EDIT:Added info

Last edited:
My initial guess is an immature Glaucous Gull.

I'm not familiar with the European wintering range however, but hopefully this helps.

Last edited:
Dimitris said:
Hi Dan,

I'll be bold and vote for a young female GBBG on the small side (ie minimum size).
Plumage pattern looks ok to me for that species, Tertials are ok as are median and greater coverts and the rest of the wing.

I wait for Lou and JanJ so that they can shoot me down :)

Don't immature GBBG have dark bills though?

UPDATE: Glaucous Gulls are indeed circumpolar, so it is quite possible.

Timberdoodler said:
Don't immature GBBG have dark bills though?

UPDATE: Glaucous Gulls are indeed circumpolar, so it is quite possible.

Hi 'Timberdoodler', Welcome to the forum.

Well normarly all large white headed Gulls have dark bills at this age. However exceptions occur. :) (and of course Glaucous and Iceland have pale bills at this age)

Alouth in general the shape of this birds bears some reseblence to Glaucous , this bird can't be one because it dosen't have pale primaries (Pure Glaucous always have pale primaries) and in general it's too dark to be one.

Here's a Glaucous of about the same age as the bird in question:

http://images.google.com.gr/imgres?...ev=/images?q=Glaucous+Gull&svnum=10&hl=el&lr=

Cheers,

Dimitris

Thanks for the warm welcome, as well as pointing that out Dimitris.

The variability factor makes positively identifying immature gulls a challenge, THAT is for sure!

Hi Dimi,

I too came across a few of these links through doing a Google search, unfortunately very few seem to actually relate to 1st winter birds, its mostly adults. The last link you posted does indeed show that a Herring x GBB hybrid would be Herring Gull sized, and another shows that GBB gulls do indeed show pink bills, also, as this bird is of roughly the same age as the bird in question, it shows that the above bird is not a GBB, as it doesn't show the pale head.

Very puzzling!! Come on people, take some of the work load off Dimi!!!

dwayne950 said:
So JanJ and Lou, any ideas?

Cheers

I will add some photos of my own to help aid ID.

John

Attachments

• DSCN4896.jpg
    DSCN4896.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 170
  • DSCN4911.jpg
    DSCN4911.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 128
  • DSCN4903.jpg
    DSCN4903.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 171
  • DSCN4912.jpg
    DSCN4912.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 138
  • DSCN4900.jpg
    DSCN4900.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 206
This one indeed looks like a GBBG, with an abnormal bill colour. It´s a 1st winter (pointed primaries, and typical greater covert pattern, pale looking impression with narrow dark barring, compared to Herring). Head shape, small eye (in middle of head) and rather heavy bill, which in this one almost lack a pronounced gonys and GBBG primary projection, that is to say a bit shorther than Herring. The pale bill would of course be very unusual, I have not seen more than one such gull with a bill similar to this, a juvenile Herring Gull a few years back, the difference was that the bill had more dark markings, like this LBBG: http://www.digimages.info/goebru/larsp031010_1w.jpg)
So I agree with Dimitris, GBBG.

JanJ

Last edited:
Thanks guys

I must admit that there was a birder that joined us just before we left that thought it was a GBBG also. The trouble was the bird had gone by then and he had contact lenses on so he couldn't look at the camera display well enough to see the images we had taken. He commented on seeing a bird similar to our description earlier that day and ID'd it as that.

John

Good to clear it up, at times in the field it didn't look big enough for a GBBG, but i guess that was just because of the distances it was at compared to other gulls. John -wasn't that bloke saying it was a 2nd winter Herring??

Thanks for sorting it out!

dwayne950 said:
Good to clear it up, at times in the field it didn't look big enough for a GBBG, but i guess that was just because of the distances it was at compared to other gulls. John -wasn't that bloke saying it was a 2nd winter Herring??

Thanks for sorting it out!

At first he did but when you explained a bit more detail he went for GBBG.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back