• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

All kind of terrestrial viewing users, those missundertood (1 Viewer)

Cosme

Maks vs APOs, the experts talk ...

Well, the experts talk and agree ... mainly in nothing ... read please.

Certainly the Questar, the Celestron C90 and the Celestron C5 offer slightly better raw optical performance (again: resolution, contrast, color fidelity, and brightness) than any of premium 77-80mm prismatic refractors (i.e., the Kowa 77mm Fluorite, the Bausch and Lomb Elite 77 ED, the Optolyth 80mm Fluorite, or the Swarovski AT80). It is in comparing the Cats to the Tele Vue Pronto (the current reference standard in the 70 80mm refractor class) that things get complicated. Under identical test conditions, all three of the top Cats, the Questar, the Celestron C90, and the Celestron C5, yield higher resolution on the test chart than the Pronto. The C5, with its huge aperture, provides truly exceptional, one could almost say "amazing," resolution, nearly 85 times that of the naked eye. When it comes to brightness and contrast though, only the C5 can equal the Pronto at equivalent powers. Don't mistake me here. Both of the 90mm Cats provide very bright, very contrasty views ‹ better than any standard 80mm spotting scope...the kind that would satisfy even the most exacting birder...it is just that the Pronto is slightly brighter at any given power. All three of the top Cats provide better color fidelity, deeper color detail, and more intense color, than the Pronto

From here, a very popular article google and matrix always put on my way when i search about scopes.

http://www.betterviewdesired.com/Birding-Catidioptric-Scopes.php

Same history with this article, except now smaller APO are better than biggers Maks (and they talk about astro perfomance, where light gathering is more important)

In the real world, ED doublet and triplet (APO) refractors generally deliver more information to the eye and therefore an APO refractor can have a somewhat smaller clear aperture than a reflector (including catadioptrics) and still offer comparable performance. According to the results published in the article, "Aperture Comparison" by Jared Willson on Cloudy Nights, which compared 41 reasonably common astronomical telescopes, a 70mm APO refractor should provide similar low contrast resolution to a 90mm Questar 3.5 Mak-Cass catadioptric, which is about as good as mirror scopes get. Several 4" APO or ED refractors substantially out performed a Celestron C5 (5" CAT) and 6" APO refractors out performed the Celestron C6 XLT, a very good Schmidt-Cassegrain (SCT) catadioptric. A TEC 140 (5.5" APO refractor) achieved a low contrast number nearly identical to the very sophisticated Vixen VC200L 8" catadioptric.

They tryng to get me insane? :gn:

Last edited:
The betterviewdesired reviews are old and meanwhile small APO refractors increased a lot in quality and decreased in price (due to Chinese producers). Modern spotting scopes have also improved a lot...

Thanks Cosme! I just wanted you to see the difference in the size, after our messages. The Orion 80ED would be a little bigger.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back