• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone repairing ZR? (1 Viewer)

MichelleOhio

I am so annoyed with this whole thing. I bought three bins and a scope from Charles over the years. I feel totally ripped off. Especially since I have bins that have a broken objective lens from hitting the cement. He could've at least said "use XXXX company for repairs but be ready to pay".

I think your best bet is to call it a loss. I have an 8x43 ED2 that won't focus and I might do a nasty DIY on it just for yucks. Other than that? Probably nothing to do. Buy a Swaro.:t:

I guess we will end up with some glass that cannot be fixed/repaired, take care of your glass. And don't run out and buy the green ones just because someone said said so, they are nice but still cannot produce a good focus wheel.

Andy W.

I guess we will end up with some glass that cannot be fixed/repaired, take care of your glass. And don't run out and buy the green ones just because someone said said so, they are nice but still cannot produce a good focus wheel.

Andy W.

Twelve years running.

Andy W.

Well Andy....yes....yes they can and do.

I would not put any more money in the ZR. A repair will be well over $100.00.

I would check into getting a replacement. The Bushnell Legend M seems to be a clone
of the Zenray, it is a very nice binocular, has a warranty, and is in it for the long term.

Jerry

Send it to Cory Suddarth in Oklahoma. There are no Zen Ray objectives. They're objectives with diameters and focal lengths. No biggie.

Bill

As Bill said, it's just a matter of replacing the right size, and focal length of glass. I'm sure the right spec - refractive index, Abbe number (whether ED or not) is widely available, and even the coatings would be near enough of a match that you wouldn't notice it in isolation. I'm sure Cory could handle quite well any mechanical repairs needed too.

Depending on the damage you'd just need to decide whether the bin is economically viable to fix for you, or a write off.

As Jerry has pointed out, the Bushnell Legend M is an optical clone of the Zen-Ray ED3 in a very similar chassis. Some people have been picking these up for around 160USD.

Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
Yes, because as I look at Bushnell I don't see my 8x43 size preference. Thanks! ;)
Michelle, the Zen-Ray ED3's were never a x43mm objective or they are certainly baffled down to just a regular 42mm.

The Bushnell Legend M is optically identical, and the chassis size and weight the same. The ergonomics are very similar, although I much prefer the Zen-Ray solution (one of the best on the market).

See what the quote is to fix the Zens, but some folks have been getting the Bushie Legend M for even less than USD160.

Good Luck!

Chosun :gh:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back