• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leupold Yosemite 6x30 for boating (1 Viewer)

John Dracon

John Dracon
This summer I did considerable boating and have begun to use the little Yosemite more and more. Having a veritable arsenal of high end/low end porros and roofs at my disposal, the little 6x30 has shown itself to be an excellent choice while boating. While the 7x50 is the classic boating glass (and I used most of them including the IF Zeiss), the 6x30 is very easy to hold and see through on rough waters. 6x magnification is adequate in almost every circumstance due the mirage factor always present over water. The 5 MM exit pupil allows for easy eye placement, and the brightness in low light is good. Considering the investment is minimal and the durability so far up to the task, the good optics of the Leupold plus its light weight makes it a very good choice for the boater. And if by some accident, it goes overboard, one won't be agonizing over the loss one would have with a high end binocular. John

I definitely want to add a 6x to the quiver, with one application being pelagics in rough seas (granted, Montana is far from that scene). With the distances involved with pelagics, I try to go for max for 8x if seas calm, which is not very practical in rougher water. An IS model would probably be better in reality. Unfortunately I have yet to really get any mileage with any 6x. For boating I'd prefer waterproof and floating, but hopefully not at the expense of weight. I find it curious that some marine binocs are blue in color. I'd think that a complementary color would be ideal in order to find if dropped.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back