• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leupold Katmai 10X32 versus Minox BD 10X32 BR ALT? (1 Viewer)

OK, maybe I can rephrase my question. I am thinking of buying 10X32 Katmai bins as they are being discontinued & can be had for under $400. I want waterproof & relatively light weight. Are there any other 10X32 that would be decidedly better at under $400 in terms of resolution/contrast? I know the Sightrons are well reviewed but I could not see where the SII were waterproof.

I own four 10 x 32 binoculars, one of them being the Minox BN 10 x 32 BR Aspheric which is discontinued.

I never considered buying the Leupold 10 x 32 Katmai because of it's very short eye relief of 10mm and it's narrow FOV of 272' @ 1000 yards. The top of the line 10 x 25 compact binoculars beat these numbers.

The Minox, if you can find one, has 15.3 mm eye relief and a standard 315' FOV @ 1000 yards. It weighs about 21 ounces as I recall which is 4 ounces more than the Leupold. It also comes with a very nice lightweight leather case. Optically it is about as good a $400.00 10 x 32 as you will find. Although it has aspheric technology it's edges aren't as sharp as my Nikon LX L or my Nikon EDG have.

In reality, the only really good 10 x 32's are the Alphas. Nikon EDG, Leica, Swarovski EL and Zeiss and they all cost over $1500.00. Nikon recently discontinued it's 10 x 32 LX L. It is rather heavy at 23.5 ounces or so but it has first rate optics, excellent flare control, sharp edges, good eye relief and a generous 342' FOV @ 1000 yards. IMO a new one would be a good buy at under $700.00.

Since you are looking for light weight, if you can live with the Katmai's narrow FOV you might consider Nikon's 10 x 25 Premier which has a slightly wider FOV and longer eye relief. It costs $499.00. It is really a first rate binocular with Nikon's typically excellent edges.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/nikon/nikon-premier-lx-l-10x25-binocular

Bob

Last edited:
OK, maybe I can rephrase my question. I am thinking of buying 10X32 Katmai bins as they are being discontinued & can be had for under $400. I want waterproof & relatively light weight. Are there any other 10X32 that would be decidedly better at under $400 in terms of resolution/contrast? I know the Sightrons are well reviewed but I could not see where the SII were waterproof.

Well over a year ago when I owned the 6x32 Katmai, I looked thru the 10x32 and was less than impressed with the small sweetspot, edges, and narrow FOV.

Lately I have been comparing the 10x32 Sightron SII Blue Skys, since I like the 8x32 model so well, and they are waterproof. I even bought another 10x36 Bushnell Legend Ultra HD just for the comparison as I always liked it, but never kept one as I preferred my 10x42 model. The 10x32 Sightron compares very well to the 8x32 model, but is not quite as outstanding, and after a couple of weeks of testing, I preferred the 10x36 Ultra HD, as I felt it was better in some areas. Plus, I found the 20.3 oz weight of the Legends much easier to hold steady than the 17.8 oz Sightrons in the 10x mag.

Heres a pic that shows an 10x28 Excursion, 10x36 Legend Ultra HD, and the 10x32 Sightron SII for a size comparison.

Tom

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 353
Lately I have been comparing the 10x32 Sightron SII Blue Skys, since I like the 8x32 model so well, and they are waterproof.

Tom

I find this very confusing. I have been to MANY web sites looking at the 10X32 Sightron SII Blue Sky series, and only ONE suggested they were waterproof. The Sightron site doesn't say they are waterproof & they have another series they call waterproof (no 32mm line though).

So, as far as I can tell, the Sightron 10X32 BL SII IS NOT waterproof. Am I wrong?

I find this very confusing. I have been to MANY web sites looking at the 10X32 Sightron SII Blue Sky series, and only ONE suggested they were waterproof. The Sightron site doesn't say they are waterproof & they have another series they call waterproof (no 32mm line though).

So, as far as I can tell, the Sightron 10X32 BL SII IS NOT waterproof. Am I wrong?

You are right in that the Sightron catalog does not state they are waterproof, but I don't know of any roof bino costing over $50 that isn't waterproof. Guess they decided it was a no brainer. But if you look on the product listing it states they are waterproof.
http://www.sightron.com/index.php?action=view_document&did=1201816362&cat_id=27&id=175

Both the Sightron 8x32 & 10x32 Sightron SII Blue Sky are waterproof and it is clearly printed on the box (Premium Waterproof Binocular) in 4 different locations (front, back, top and on the side UPC label), as well as on top of the focus knob (waterproof).

Last edited:
YBut if you look on the product listing it states they are waterproof.
http://www.sightron.com/index.php?action=view_documentdid=1201816362&cat_id=27&id=175

Thanks. I am glad it's marked so well on the box. Actually, I have been to the Sightron site you show. I can't see where it says waterproof. Where are you reading that?

It does say "twist-up and twist down eyecups are standard on all SII Blue Sky and waterproof Binocular models." But those are two different lines and I don't read it as stating the BL is waterproof.

Don't mean to sound contentious. It's just perhaps as you say, failure of marketing department to state the obvious?

I can verify they are waterproof. I have run them under the faucet several times. No internal fogging whatsoever.

I own four 10 x 32 binoculars, one of them being the Minox BN 10 x 32 BR Aspheric which is discontinued.

I never considered buying the Leupold 10 x 32 Katmai because of it's very short eye relief of 10mm and it's narrow FOV of 272' @ 1000 yards. The top of the line 10 x 25 compact binoculars beat these numbers.

The Minox, if you can find one, has 15.3 mm eye relief and a standard 315' FOV @ 1000 yards. It weighs about 21 ounces as I recall which is 4 ounces more than the Leupold. It also comes with a very nice lightweight leather case. Optically it is about as good a $400.00 10 x 32 as you will find. Although it has aspheric technology it's edges aren't as sharp as my Nikon LX L or my Nikon EDG have.

In reality, the only really good 10 x 32's are the Alphas. Nikon EDG, Leica, Swarovski EL and Zeiss and they all cost over $1500.00. Nikon recently discontinued it's 10 x 32 LX L. It is rather heavy at 23.5 ounces or so but it has first rate optics, excellent flare control, sharp edges, good eye relief and a generous 342' FOV @ 1000 yards. IMO a new one would be a good buy at under $700.00.

Since you are looking for light weight, if you can live with the Katmai's narrow FOV you might consider Nikon's 10 x 25 Premier which has a slightly wider FOV and longer eye relief. It costs $499.00. It is really a first rate binocular with Nikon's typically excellent edges.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/nikon/nikon-premier-lx-l-10x25-binocular

Bob

Bob,

You mentioned the Nikon 10 x 32 LX. What about the now discontinued but possibly still available at some "bricks and mortar" stores Leupold 10x32 GR HD?

Heavyish like the LXL, but Allbinos highly ranked the 8x32 model.

Brock

I'm not acquainted with that one Brock. I thought those green rings were 42mm but I could be mistaken. I only looked into the Katmais. I had a 6 x 32 for a short time but there was a problem with it and I sent it back to Eagle Optics within their 30 day period.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back