• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Guides for Palawan and Cebu (1 Viewer)

In Nature

1. I just did a short trip to Palawan (in February 2017). Unfortunately my busy work schedule doesn't allow me to do a full trip report.

But I did just want to mention the independent guide I had on Palawan who got me encounters with all of the island's endemics. He knew all key species instantly by sight and sound, and was super hard working, refusing to give up on seeing some species even after I'd told him I thought we'd tried hard enough. Just great. He's also interested in mammals, amphibians, and reptiles, especially the herps, so snake fans out there have someone who will cater to their interests as well. He gave me permission to post his contact information on this forum. PM me for his phone number if you want.

Will Cabanillas
[email protected]

2. Had a short time in Cebu and met a van driver who said he had a bird guide friend for Cebu, which is great because Cebu is not part of the usual "circuit" of Philippine birdwatching despite the (vanishingly slim) chance of seeing the Cebu Flowerpecker as well as the couple other endemics on the island. Unfortunately, I was on my way to the airport when I met him, so I couldn't try the guide and can't personally vouch for his services. But if you're in the neighborhood, I think it would certainly be worth a try. The driver's name is Butchoy and he gave me permission to post a picture of his business card on this forum.

Hope this information is helpful.

Last edited:
Where did you go for the Palawan Striped Babbler?

Ah, I'm sorry. I misspoke when I said "all the endemics." I should have said, "all the endemics in the places we went," which were the Irawan Eco Park near Puerta Princessa and locales in the Sabang area (St. Paul's National Park; the ATM trail, Zig Zag Road, the Balsahan Trail in the Iwahig Penal Colony). I didn't have time to get to the highlands, like Mt. Victoria. So didn't see the Palawan Striped Babbler. Sorry about that.

But Will did say that his standard route includes Mt. Victoria. So I'm sure he'd know where to search for it there.

I did find this report, which describes some sightings of it along with locations. https://budgetbirders.files.wordpress.com/2016/07/philippine-trip-report-2016.pdf

Easy at Mt Victoria as mentioned by "In Nature" saw them there this saturday. One day for the hike up and another to come back down, but very reliable at this spot (guide has 100% score).

I was on the budget birders trip myself. I was just curious as to where the OP. had seen them given that he said he only had four days on the island. Had I known he was liable to misspeak I wouldn't have asked.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back