• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Old 8x32 HGL (1 Viewer)

wachipilotes

Hello,
My question is if the old 8x32 HGL is still a good binocular for the modern standars, I have reading that is too much weight ?
Thanks
Wachi

Hello,
My question is if the old 8x32 HGL is still a good binocular for the modern standars, I have reading that is too much weight ?
Thanks
Wachi

Yes it is heavy. It is also now discontinued although Nikon continued to sell it at the same time the EDGs were being sold. Nikon renamed it "Premier" during that period and it became Nikon's 2nd best 8x32 behind the 8x32 EDG. It is very ruggedly built and with proper care will last for many years.

Allbinos has ranked it #5 in its rankings of 8x32 binoculars which is very good for a binocular that has been around since about 2001. All of its vital specifications are given in the review.

https://www.allbinos.com/187-binoculars_review-Nikon_HG_L_8x32_DCF.html

As you can see from the transmission graph at the end of the Allbinos review it is also very bright.

I have had one for many years and I recommend it to you if you can get one at what you consider to be a reasonable price.

HGL means High Grade for HG and light weight version for L. The originals were just HG. The HGLs are newer versions of the HGs.

There is no way that I know of to determine the dates of their construction from their Serial Numbers.

Bob

Last edited:
Wachi,

I have the HG 8x32 and 10X32. The weight comes from using the same eyepieces from the 8 and 10X42 Hg models and they have more than enough eye relief. The 8x32 was reviewed by Roger Vine on Scope Views. The original HGs came out in 2002, (always had lead free glass) then changed to 2004 to the HG/L which is 15-20 grams lighter.
Below is a thread which explains some opinions and history of the HG 8X32.

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=342005

Regards,

Andy W.

'Old' Nikon 8x42 DCF HGL

Hello,
My question is if the old 8x32 HGL is still a good binocular for the modern standards, I have reading that is too much weight ?
Wachi, I have Nikon 8x42 HGL, which model, as above, had the weight reduced more in the update than the 8x32 HG. On our kitchen scales, incl. strap etc, it weighs 875gms but does not feel heavy in the hand. Imo the smooth contours make it super-easy and comfortable to hold. It is noticeably steadier than my Kenko 8x32 at 500gms all in, and I like it a lot.

Re. HGL 8x42 and Modern Standards: It matches the (aov '7.5 degrees') Kenko's exceptional central sharpness and maintains it a lot better towards the edges. It may be as a result of this that the Nikon's '7 degrees' looks the same, while the image itself looks bigger. The Nikon's focus action is light and absolutely precise. With respect to Colour and Contrast it is pretty close, and these are the Kenko's other strong points.

Comments about Nikon HGLs have in the past referred to CA. Only when looking for it, on one occasion I did see a strong purple band, but then could not reproduce it, so it is by no means likely to be a nuisance.

The HG/HGL were originally in the higher Nikon range and are certainly well made. In sub-$1000 I reckon they can still easily hack it according to modern standards, especially when in EU 'new' 8x42 or 8x32 HGLs are still occasionally available for around £630.

Last edited:
Still a very good bino, I picked one up earlier this year for a very good price and to be honest, I've been using it more than my beloved swaros of late. It's heavy for a 32mm bin, but its very shapely and well balanced. Eye relief is excellent if you wear glasses, and it has good close focus. Other users have mentioned about CA, but its never bothered me. The main drawbacks I've heard reported relate to the armouring, which wears quickly and comes loose in warm climates.

When I had one I felt it was a little heavy for a 32mm and I felt the CA on the edge was a little too much. On axis CA was fine. Other than those two weaknesses it is a nice binocular but getting a little long in the tooth compared to the newest alpha's. I would wait for the new Nikon 8x30 HG for way less weight, smaller size, bigger FOV with sharp edges and probably less CA with the ED glass. You will probably pay about $700.00 for the 8x32 LXL and you have 20 year old glass. For another $250.00 you would have Nikon's latest.

Last edited:
Bob is correct as in his post above, the Nikon LX, LXL, HG, HGL, models set a new standard in the late
90's when introduced, and updated in the early 2000's to the L, meaning light models.

If you want to read about more, go to the site, "Better View Desired". This is a wealth of information
of binoculars of this time. These were the best in many eyes, and considered the reference standard,
compared to the other alphas.

Jerry

I owned it, sharp to the edge, a very good contrast, very good focusing... I would buy it again. Maybe more CA, than my Meopta HD 10x42

Last edited:
Have tried a few and always liked the view, heavy though - probably the only visible differences to modern stuff would be transmission and CA.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back