• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pink Camo for the Leupold Yosemite (1 Viewer)

Kevin Purcell

I just came across this here:

http://www.binoculars.org/binocular-reviews/leupold-yosemite-binoculars/

Priced under 100$, these binoculars are definetly in my top-picks for general, all purpose viewing binoculars. They are available in Black, Natural and even a new Pink Camo finish.

I do have a pair in red or terra cotta or really dark pink. I guess this is more of the same.

There must be a trend here ... first the pink Nikon ED50 fieldscope. And the pink Alpen bins (supporting breast cancer). Now these.

Click the thumbnail for a bigger picture.

Attachments

• leupold-yosemite-binoculars.jpg
    leupold-yosemite-binoculars.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 166
When I went to the NW Sportsman's Show in Portland, Leupold had all of the colors in the current Yosemite rainbow in their booth. All of the Yosemite's were placed directly in the center of the booth so they were clearly visible from the floor to those passing by on the floor. It was sort of amazing how many little girls went by the booth and suddenly Dad got arm yanked into the Leupold display by his little girl who'd zeroed on that Pink Camo Yosemite, saying, "Daddy, Daddy, look at how cool these are, can I have one?". Made me wonder what Leupold Marketing Research had come up with.

Uhh, yeah. This reminds me of that urban camo in either black and white or blue and black. I never figured that one out. This goes right up there with it.

I know we discussed color blindness in animals but this takes it to a whole new level.

Uhh, yeah. This reminds me of that urban camo in either black and white or blue and black. I never figured that one out. This goes right up there with it.

For example see

http://www.emlra.org/articles/berlin_brigade.htm

for Urban Camo in use on British Cheiftan and Land Rover's in Berlin.

The trick of course it to break up the outline and when most of the lines in an urban environment are vertical or horizontal blocks of color work well.

Initial reactions from his soldiers went from amusement to grudging acceptance. It was a similar situation with his fellow officers. However, all realised the advantage to be gained and how effective it was at the right distances. Certain camouflage patterns are ineffective when close up but improve as the distances increase. In our case, 50 to 60 yards was the minimum, as you got further away the target almost disappeared at 100 yards.

Following acceptance and encouragement by his Brigade Commander, the opportunity arose to show it to the Corps Commander. He came to Berlin to see for himself. Allegedly, he said "I can't see your f*****g tank, must be a good idea" The paint scheme was adopted by the squadron and subsequently by all British forces in Berlin. Each vehicle was to be painted to the same pattern; the same size blocks of colour and pattern would make it harder to determine the strength of the British Forces because they all looked the same.

Just like the chickadees ;)

And as I already posted on a spotter thread ... dazzle camouflage can't be too far away. I'm surprised there aren't any birds that look like their flying backwards. Perhaps there are some jungle birds that use this scheme. Maybe well have future urban sparrows with block like or digital camo schemes ;)

Of course a couple of pictures of urban camo: the first one invites "that's a bloody silly camo scheme" and the second one "who's shooting at us?". Coming soon to a Leupold bin near you.

Attachments

• Berlin_Brigade_Chieftain.jpg
    Berlin_Brigade_Chieftain.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 134
  • Berlin_Brigade_Chieftain_head_on.jpg
    Berlin_Brigade_Chieftain_head_on.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Hmm, interesting. It is then the contrast in light and dark colors that sells it. Any chance you have found similar pictures of the black and white "blob" camo on clothing which demonstrates its effectiveness as well? The tank surely proves it does work in certain applications.

....don't want the binoculars to blend in too much otherwise we won't be able to see which make they are.

;)

Hmm, interesting. It is then the contrast in light and dark colors that sells it. Any chance you have found similar pictures of the black and white "blob" camo on clothing which demonstrates its effectiveness as well? The tank surely proves it does work in certain applications.

....don't want the binoculars to blend in too much otherwise we won't be able to see which make they are.

;)

I haven't seen any demo pictures of other camo systems but I was struck by the urban camo the first time I saw it on British Land Rovers in Berlin (in the 1980s).

I suspect there are a lot of camo bins lying on the ground unfound ...

The other semi-serious issue is actually for urban birders: the 6x makes a good urban bin (just like a woodland bin where the birds are close to you or you have restricted sight lines) plus they're actually less obvious when they're a light color or have a broken up pattern. Best of all when you don't carry them around your neck but in your hand. Useful if you feel you need to be more cryptic.

Myself ... bins around the neck and if people ask I tell them I'm birding!

Myself ... bins around the neck and if people ask I tell them I'm birding!

Because that is ofcourse what you are doing.

;)

I think I am going to write off the pink camo models for future consideration. I have pretty thick skin but not that thick.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back