Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Great Grey Shrike

Old Tuesday 23rd March 2004, 21:04   #1
Ruby

Great Grey Shrike

Just in case anyone is interested.... the Great Grey Shrike is still to be seen by the memorial on the A11 at Elvedon.

I originally saw this bird on Feb 7th and noted that it had been regularly reported as still being present.

I was heading up that neck of the woods today and was interested to see if it was still there - it was!!

Displaying very well on the top of low bushes at distances of 200+m - close enough for good views through the scope, but sadly a bit far away for digi-scoping. I did get some recognisable pics, but not good enough for posting really.

This seems like a bit of a birding hotspot.... there was much birdsong (mostly unrecognisable to me!!) in the background and the GGS only left when a Kestrel came and usurped his favourite perch.

Is anyone familiar with the immediate area?? - we have a long weekend camping booked up there in June.....
Old Tuesday 23rd March 2004, 21:14   #2
scampo
Steve Campsall

Too far for me despite it being my no. 1 want-to-see bird. I hear there was one at Bakewell - has anyone seen it or know if it's still there? I might be up that way on Friday for hawfinch at Cromford.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: