• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sand martin? (1 Viewer)

Parmenides

Hi, everybody! I should have learned by now, but these martins are confusing to me. I thin these are Sand martins (Riparia riparia).

They were in mixed flock with Barn swallows and Common house martins. I thaught at first they are juvenile House martins, but today I took pictures and they look like Sand martins.

And is it usual that they are all in mixed flocks - i mean Common house martins, Barn swallows and Sand martins? I suppose they are just feeding at the same place, but it also could have something to do with migration?

Thank you fot help!

Attachments

• IMG_5946.JPG
    IMG_5946.JPG
    339.9 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_5966.JPG
    IMG_5966.JPG
    341.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_5969.JPG
    IMG_5969.JPG
    313.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_5982.JPG
    IMG_5982.JPG
    458.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5985.jpg
    IMG_5985.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 43
Agree, Sand Martin. House Martin have a white rump. During migration you'll often get Barn Swallow, House and Sand Martin ( and, possibly, Red-rumped Swallow in Croatia ) together in mixed species flocks.

Thank you all.

It was quite chill morning and they were landing on this concrete to warm themselves up. That's why they are lying down and look like they are injured. They're just fine :)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back