• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panjin, Liaoning, China (1 Viewer)

Owen Krout

United States
Came across an obvious recently fledged youngster on today's outing. It was clearly a Wagtail and the general pattern and a weak flush of yellow on the head made me think a possible fledgling Citrine Wagtail.

I found a seat in an adjacent shelter and waited around for half an hour, but no adults showed up to aid in the identification.

Anybody else with other thoughts?

Attachments

• Citrine Wagtail ?.jpg
    Citrine Wagtail ?.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Citrine Wagtail ? (1).jpg
    Citrine Wagtail ? (1).jpg
    209 KB · Views: 21
  • Citrine Wagtail ? (2).jpg
    Citrine Wagtail ? (2).jpg
    391.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Citrine Wagtail ? (3).jpg
    Citrine Wagtail ? (3).jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 31
Given the extent of white on the wing, I'd suggest a juv leucopsis white wagtail. Best to wait for confirmation, as I've only seen adult birds previously.

I agree with this being a juvenile leucopsis. The yellow wash to the head is typical on a juvenile, and they usually also show slightly darker ear coverts, as on this bird. This combination can easily lead to confusion with Citrine Wagtail, but the wing pattern and structure fit White better than Citrine.

Thanks! I've run into juvenile leucopsis before but hadn''t noticed the yellow wash before. Closer and with better lighting this time.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back