• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bicycle - scope attachment (1 Viewer)

Karl J

Following a thread yesterday about carrying gear around I've today been looking into a 'cycle - telescope attachment' .... with, I'm pleased to say, some considerable success.

By attaching a 16'' long piece of 40mm dia. plastic pipe (sold in Homebase, B+Q etc, usually used for sink wastepipes) vertically onto the crossbar (approx 8'' back from the handlebar stem) and to 'the bar that goes down to the pedals' by means of a bungee cord at each attachment, you create a secure vertical, hollow tube.

One leg of a telescopic tripod will sit inside the tube, the other 2 legs will straddle either side of the frame making it impossible for it to fall off (some masking tape on the frame will be a good idea to prevent taking the paint off). Because it is vertical and in the unused space between your body and the handlebars, the scope remains attached in the usual way.

To put the scope into action you can either just lift the whole thing out of the pipe and set it up fully. Or by leaning the bike against yourself (or anything else suitable - a post etc), the scope is naturally at a fairly useable height.

I've used it today over about 8 miles, and admittedly it probably doesn't look too trendy, but the important thing - it works.

Well thought out Carlos. As you say it does not matter at all what it looks like if it works.

Last edited:
Huh! Interesting idea. They sell an umbrella-holder for bicycles here, which might be usable-- I've never looked closely at the business end of one of them before, but I will when I get the chance...

Hi Charles,
Nothing to do with this thread, but can I take this opportunity to say how charming you look in your new hat! James and I look like the Krankies in ours! (You don't want to know!)

It's very commmon here in Scandinavia to use plastic wastepipes on bike for scope attachment. We use 2 pipes on bike seat, so one scopeleg is out. Very comfortable. You can attach the pipes to bike-seat with those plastic attachment strips (bungee cord).

Well we are strange here anyway - finnsticks and 3+3 codes... ah you know

just tring to be smart
Uku
www.hot.ee/tartulinnuklubi

--------
By attaching a 16'' long piece of 40mm dia. plastic pipe (sold in Homebase, B+Q etc, usually used for sink wastepipes) vertically onto the crossbar (approx 8'' back from the handlebar stem) and to 'the bar that goes down to the pedals' by means of a bungee cord at each attachment, you create a secure vertical, hollow tube.

Give me a few days or so Gerry, not been on for a while but I'll put them up when I get time in the next week.

I find it a very simple piece of equipment

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back