Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

x32 SF: the waiting begins

Old Sunday 19th May 2019, 15:36   #26
Samolot

While we are all just speculating, I'm just trying to think of what the MSRP will be. If it is indeed a "scaled-down" version of the SF, I would bet 2399.
Old Sunday 19th May 2019, 17:03   #27
PYRTLE

The current binocular format poll here on BF shows the current leader with nearly 25% of votes cast is 8x32. I'm sure Zeiss Sports Optics have enough sales and marketing data and projections to reflect that this format will be very popular even at the alpha scenario.
Old Sunday 19th May 2019, 17:43   #28
edwincjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samolot View Post
While we are all just speculating, I'm just trying to think of what the MSRP will be. If it is indeed a "scaled-down" version of the SF, I would bet 2399.
but, will it be $2399 better than my current 8x32 FL?

edj
-L Armstrong, IZ, and others
Old Sunday 19th May 2019, 18:02   #29
dries1
BF Supporter 2019

For it to be much improved it will no doubt be bigger than the 8x32 FL.

Andy W.

BF Supporter 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 19th May 2019, 18:35   #30
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by dries1 View Post

Andy W.
Which would mean it's going to lose one of its great advantages. I think Zeiss could follow the Leica example (to the Ultravids) by simply giving it a new shell. Unlike Leica, they have fine ER.
!

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 19th May 2019, 20:59   #31
Kevin Conville
yardbirder
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
The ribbed "heritage" look does have a certain black and white, private detective, trench coat, tilted hat, drizzly steetscape, and you just know she's going to be trouble - smoldering dame, appealing look about it though ......
WOW! Where do I sign?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lauren Bacall.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	695624  

Scott's Miracle Grow KILLING Birds, for Years!
read this: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=226714

Last edited by Kevin Conville : Sunday 19th May 2019 at 21:19.

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 19th May 2019, 22:17   #32
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhogue View Post
Dennis,

Now all that "is a consumption devoutly to be wished"! The only thing is based on my personal preferences it's hard to imagine improving the ergonomics of the 32 FL. But if Zeiss can do that, more power to them.

Mike
Wouldn't you say the new Zeiss 8x42 SF is an improvement in ergonomics over the older 8x42 FL? For some people maybe the older FL is preferred. You can't please everybody with a new product but you try.
Old Sunday 19th May 2019, 22:22   #33
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by dries1 View Post

Andy W.
Andy. Why would it have to be bigger? Swarovski managed to pack all the new technology including field flatteners in their SV 8x32 with out making it much bigger why couldn't Zeiss?
Old Sunday 19th May 2019, 23:12   #34
eronald

What would be really nice would be to have a Victory that is as tough as the 8x32 Conquest. An alpha bino you can lend to your 10 year old kid. I would buy that immediately.

Edmund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
Konnie Seil was the optical designer of SF, and Werner Maier-Wendt dealt with the mechanics while the company KISKA handled the external design. With the move of development to Oberkochen there are more designers/engineers available to Sports Optics so, yes, it will be interesting to see what happens.

As to why FL32 should be superceded at all when it performs so well, at least one reason is that its external appearance, with those heavy bars of rubber on the armour, harks back to the look of the Dialyts which means to many the FL looks even older than it is. In addition the fov of the 8x is 140m but that of SF8x42 is 148m so FL8x32 is out of step with Zeiss's premium 42mm.

None of these factors take away anything from the actual performance of FL but it is surely enough for the product planners at Zeiss to want a fresh premium 32mm on the shelves that looks as though it belongs to the same family as the rest of the Zeiss bino models and not something left over from an earlier era.

Lee

Last edited by eronald : Sunday 19th May 2019 at 23:17.
Old Sunday 19th May 2019, 23:29   #35
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Andy. Why would it have to be bigger? Swarovski managed to pack all the new technology including field flatteners in their SV 8x32 with out making it much bigger why couldn't Zeiss?
Dennis,

I have heard that Zeiss turned the SP prism's upside down in order to move the center of gravity back in the SF. Please correct me if this is wrong.

I don't think that Swarovski turned the SP prisms upside down when field flattener technology was put into the SV8x32.

The 10x42mm SF has a 7 lens eyepiece with Zeiss field flattener technology. It is illustrated in the link below. (I can't find an Allbinos review of the 8x42 SF. There are 2 less than stellar reviews of it by private owners.)

https://www.allbinos.com/304-binocul..._SF_10x42.html

Naturally the eyepieces for the proposed Zeiss 8 and 10x32mm SF will have to be smaller but will they be just as efficient as those in the 42mm versions?

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Sunday 19th May 2019 at 23:49.

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 20th May 2019, 00:39   #36
dries1
BF Supporter 2019

As Robert noted, the great advantage of the FL - is the size, power packed optics in a small light frame.
Until any new SF is made and sold, the FL is all one would need for a portable glass for travel.

Andy W.

BF Supporter 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 20th May 2019, 07:42   #37
Troubador

Quote:
Den

SF42 isn't just about cramming all the technology in, it is about distributing the weight to achieve a certain balance, and having enough length to allow a good close focus with a focusing lens that is doubling-up as part of the objective group as well as just focusing. I too am curious as to how this might be achieved in a 32 without it being longer than desirable. SF42 is quite long and you could argue that folks put more emphasis on compactness when considering a 32.

Lee
Old Monday 20th May 2019, 13:14   #38
[email protected]

I would wager that Zeiss will find a way to update and improve the optical performance when they design the 8x32 SF without significantly increasing it's size. Size and weight are obviously really important on a 32mm because that is one of the big reasons people are buying them over a 42mm. I think you expect a slight decrease in performance with the smaller aperture. It will be interesting to see if they can achieve any improvements in balance in the smaller frame 32mm like they did with the 42mm. That will be a challenge.
Old Monday 20th May 2019, 17:34   #39
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
............ It will be interesting to see if they can achieve any improvements in balance in the smaller frame 32mm like they did with the 42mm. That will be a challenge.
As the x32 models are considerably shorter to begin with, the balance question is much less critical.
!

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 20th May 2019, 18:40   #40
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissboy View Post
As the x32 models are considerably shorter to begin with, the balance question is much less critical.
Yes and the weight is less too.

Lee
Old Tuesday 21st May 2019, 01:36   #41
mwhogue

Quote:
Wouldn't you say the new Zeiss 8x42 SF is an improvement in ergonomics over the older 8x42 FL? For some people maybe the older FL is preferred. You can't please everybody with a new product but you try.
Dennis,

Agree, the 42 SF is improved over the FL both optically an ergonomically. While i would welcome any optical improvement in the 32, changes in the ergonomics may well be required by the improved optics as well as by purely ergonomic design considerations. If the excellent ergonomics of the 32 are improved overall as well whatever the reason, so much the better.

That said, I do agree with a few others here - I still love the FL look in the 32. Somehow it still looks great and powerful in it's short squat format, while the 42 does look dated as some others say, even a little awkward now to me.

Mike
Old Tuesday 21st May 2019, 05:30   #42
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Talking

Quote:
The 32mm SF will most likely be a scaled down version of the 42mm SF just like the 32mm FL is a scaled down version of the 42mm FL. It will use field flatteners, a magnesium body and have the weight forward balance of the bigger SF. The FL is definitely in need of an update to keep up with the technology. It will have a more ergonomic design just like the bigger SF and a bigger FOV. I would guess on the new SF 8x32 Zeiss would reach for at least a 450 foot FOV if not more. I don't see it weighing anymore than the current FL and maybe less with a slimmer design even though it will be magnesium. Zeiss is very forward thinking so you could see some totally new technology used. It will be a very exciting binocular.
Dennis, I think you wrote this at a dizzying altitude way up in the Rockies , or you've been hanging out with folk who indulge in Colorado's "liberal" laws just a bit too much , coz that statement is just a little *ssbackwards (about 100% ! :). I know what you meant though

It's good to see that copious amounts of $ spent by the Zeiss Marketing team, and the endless volumes written by it's 'brand ambassadors' haven't gone to waste - NOT !

Chosun

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 21st May 2019, 05:33   #43
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Talking

Quote:
I have no inhibitions about elves and Evangeline Lilly was pretty cool as one in The Hobbit.

Lee
You've 'Lost' me there Lee .......

Old Tuesday 21st May 2019, 05:36   #44
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Cool

Quote:
The ribbed "heritage" look does have a certain black and white, private detective, trench coat, tilted hat, drizzly steetscape, and you just know she's going to be trouble - smoldering dame, appealing look about it though ......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Conville View Post
WOW! Where do I sign?
At your own peril by the look of it !!

Old Tuesday 21st May 2019, 05:51   #45
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Lightbulb

Quote:
.... It will be interesting to see if they can achieve any improvements in balance in the smaller frame 32mm like they did with the 42mm. That will be a challenge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissboy View Post
I'm remaining neutral in this one (so I suppose I'm siding with the Swiss on this !). I agree with Dennis though that it will be difficult to replicate the pure 42mm SF formula in 32mm though while retaining an expected 32mm physical size range. However, given the weights involved, achieving the 'formula' is a lot less necessary .....

Has anyone in the history of the world ever complained about the ergonomics and 'balance' of the Swarovski 32mm SV for example ? I think not ......

Chosun

Old Tuesday 21st May 2019, 06:21   #46
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRTLE View Post
The current binocular format poll here on BF shows the current leader with nearly 25% of votes cast is 8x32. I'm sure Zeiss Sports Optics have enough sales and marketing data and projections to reflect that this format will be very popular even at the alpha scenario.
Yep - and with world population increasing by more than ~10% since the conception of the 42mm SF, I seriously do not see how it becomes a matter of 'replacing' the 32mm FL with any SF. Have your cake and eat it too !

There's plenty of room in the market (and plenty of market) to have a compact upgraded 32mm FL (simples - HT glass, and the odd little tweak here and there), and a completely new open frame 32mm SF. Honestly Zeiss - just send me the cheque already !

Chosun

Old Tuesday 21st May 2019, 07:31   #47
Troubador

Quote:
You've 'Lost' me there Lee .......
'Lost' leads to Elizabeth Mitchell who I am sure could do a mean Lauren Bacall if required.

Lee
Old Tuesday 21st May 2019, 08:41   #48
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Cool

Quote:
'Lost' leads to Elizabeth Mitchell who I am sure could do a mean Lauren Bacall if required.

Lee
Lee, I do believe that Kevin nailed the concept beautifully !

Apart from a few obvious qualifications you've lost me again - in fact I think Lost lost me long before that ! Since you've sidetracked into fairy tales and alien invasions, I'd suggest a modern twist altogether more sultry in the form of Lana Parrilla (perhaps?) or definitely Morena Baccarin ..... now that would be risking life and limb - literally !

Chosun

Last edited by Chosun Juan : Tuesday 21st May 2019 at 09:10.

Old Tuesday 21st May 2019, 10:48   #49
Troubador

Quote:
Lee, I do believe that Kevin nailed the concept beautifully !

Apart from a few obvious qualifications you've lost me again - in fact I think Lost lost me long before that ! Since you've sidetracked into fairy tales and alien invasions, I'd suggest a modern twist altogether more sultry in the form of Lana Parrilla (perhaps?) or definitely Morena Baccarin ..... now that would be risking life and limb - literally !

Chosun
Actually it has been you who has led the diversions. First you sidetracked us into the topics of elves by calling Cate Blanchette an elf which provoked my mention of a certain glamorous elf in The Hobbit, then it was you who mentioned Lost and of course Elizabeth Mitchell starred in it. Until now we haven't touched on alien invasions yet except, wait a moment, you mentioned them.

Lana Parrilla and Morena Baccarin are certainly both worthy of inclusion in any scrapbook of screen sirens.

Lee

Last edited by Troubador : Tuesday 21st May 2019 at 10:59.
Old Tuesday 21st May 2019, 11:08   #50
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Arrow

"Once Upon a Time" , and "V" they variously all played parts ..... and "Lost" really did lose me - as a viewer !

Chosun

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: