Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

What magnification

Old Saturday 11th July 2009, 10:08   #1
CharleyBird

What magnification

If you could carry only one magnification with you, what would your choice be out of 20, 30 or 45x.

Regards
Old Saturday 11th July 2009, 10:13   #2
Neil

I use 30x 70% of the time, 45x 25% and 20x 5% . I suppose if I could only have one of these it would be the 30x. I am impressed with the new 25-50x zoom and will be making this my main eyepiece from now on.
Neil.
Old Saturday 11th July 2009, 13:11   #3
johnno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I use 30x 70% of the time, 45x 25% and 20x 5% . I suppose if I could only have one of these it would be the 30x. I am impressed with the new 25-50x zoom and will be making this my main eyepiece from now on.
Neil.
I agree with Neil,30x is a very good magnification,however a lot depends on the size of the Scope's objective, as well as the type and time of day.

Eg,a bright sunny day is fine at 30x on a lot of scopes,but on a dull cloudy day,lower Magnification may be the better choice.

If your objective lens is small,you tend to lose brightness,and detail,at the higher Magnifications.

regards.
John
Old Saturday 11th July 2009, 18:50   #4
CharleyBird

Thanks for the replies so far.

To expand on my needs, I want something that is portable, decent quality, is durable though not necesssarily waterproof, and is for looking long distance, at shorebirds out on the estuary for example; so I've been looking at the the two Swarovski drawscopes, the fixed CTC30 x 75, or the CTS85 with either the 20x, 30x or 45x eyepieces.
The 85 allows flexibility, and photography I gather, so I've been leaning towards it with a 45x eyepiece, simply for the extra reach.
Just wondering if it would be a classic newbie mistake and I'll end up buying the 30x eyepiece too and then use it all the time. And therefore might as well just get the more portable 30 x75 - but then it can't be used for photography, so I guess it has to be the 85.

From an earlier thread I understand that the zoom eyepieces are awkward to use on the 85 as, when turned, they turn the focussing tube of the scope too so have discounted them.
Also as a keen amateur photographer, I'm a bit of a purist in liking prime lenses(and still haven't got over the discontinuation of kodachrome 25).

It's an enjoyable quandary.
Old Saturday 11th July 2009, 19:07   #5
LHB1

In South Texas, I have experienced problems with heat mirage and wind vibration at magnifications of 32X and 45X. My choice is 25X with Nikon Field Scope (78mm).
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: