Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Looking to spend around 700 on a scope ...

Old Sunday 5th July 2009, 18:48   #1
Simmo1111
Onwards and upwards !!

Looking to spend around 700 on a scope ...

I have finally decided to 'bite the bullet' and get myself a scope due to spending an increasing amount of time in hides on a local RSPB reserve.

Am I right in assuming that the bigger objective lens models will give me a better/brighter view (I,m guessing that its the same rule as bins)

As my title says I am looking to spend somewhere in the region of 700 or so for a scope and an eyepiece. Obviously a hide clamp and a case of some description will also be needed.

There may come a time when I move on to digiscoping at some point so the scope will be required to be suitable for this as well.

Can anyone offer any help please ?

Best wishes.

Latest lifer .. Redundancy :-)
Old Sunday 5th July 2009, 19:09   #2
Clive A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmo1111 View Post
I have finally decided to 'bite the bullet' and get myself a scope due to spending an increasing amount of time in hides on a local RSPB reserve.

Am I right in assuming that the bigger objective lens models will give me a better/brighter view (I,m guessing that its the same rule as bins)

As my title says I am looking to spend somewhere in the region of 700 or so for a scope and an eyepiece. Obviously a hide clamp and a case of some description will also be needed.

There may come a time when I move on to digiscoping at some point so the scope will be required to be suitable for this as well.

Can anyone offer any help please ?

Best wishes.
Yes Simmo, the bigger the objective lens the brighter the image, and therefore I would say the better for digiscoping. The usual advice also applies ie. get yourself down to a reputable supplier and try them out, also try and grab a look down other birders scopes and see what you think. Take your time, don't rush into it, then you should make the right choice.
Old Monday 6th July 2009, 19:16   #3
Simmo1111
Onwards and upwards !!

I have seen through quite a lot of scopes and done a fair bit of reading around on here and on other sites so after a plenty of deliberation I decided on a Nikon ED82 with a 50x Wide DS eyepiece. By the time I had finished adding a case and a hide clamp I managed to part with 1178 !!!

So please ignore any questions about me spending 700 !!!!

I never was any good at counting .........

Latest lifer .. Redundancy :-)
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: