• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Bedford, end of March (1 Viewer)

aucarius

Marcus
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm spending next week in South Dartmouth near New Bedford, MA next week & wondered where's the best place to visit at this time of year?

I was hoping for some seabird watching as I'll have a new scope to try out, but assume it's not quite the right time of year?

Are the harlequin ducks still at Sachuest Point? I'd be quite happy to go out to RI if they are.

Thanks!

Have never been there but these places look like good destinations.

West Island State Reservation
Slide down the page for birder information.

Right next to it is South Shore Marches Wildlife Management Area

You could do both as they are so close to each other and both on the shore.

They appear to be only 10% the drive v.s. going over to Sachuest Point from South Dartmouth.

Of course if you want a completely different kind of diversion you could visit the Battleship of Massachusetts in Fall River. Battleship Cove

Climb all through the WWII Battleship of Massachusetts. You can also go though a WWII class submarine and some other ships.
There is also a Maritime Museum within 5 minutes walking distance. It has a large Titanic collection including artifacts and the model that they used to film the classic Titanic movie "A Night to Remember".

Last edited:
Thanks crazyfingers,
They do look like excellent destinations. Unfortunately I didn't see your post until after I got back!
I went back out to Sachuest again & the harlequins were indeed still there & plenty of them, which was great. I also saw black, white-winged & surf scoters, plus northern gannet & common loon which I was very happy with.
Although the sun was shining it was still cold & I didn't see any early migrants unlike here in the UK. Will have to go later in the spring next time.
Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back