• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jenny's paintings (1 Viewer)

Long time...

Oh my, it has been a long time since I was here last!! I have some serious catching up to do with all your folks great threads... But before I loose myself in your artworks, I thought to share some of what I have been up o these last few months...

The winter here in Rizhao/China has been dull, brown and dusty. The only birds active have been the black and white magpies, so nothing exciting happening there.
More interesting was the birds I was able to see on a vacation to Bali in February. I saw a few new species in the wild, and the ones I have been able to identify were: chinese or javan pond-heron, white-headed and white-rumped Munia, Cattle egret. Then we went to a bird park, and there were a lot of interesting birds to see. The one that I was most eager to see was the Balinese starling. It is a stunning white starling with blue markings around the eyes, and it is only found on Bali. Unfortunately it has become so rare, so the only place you can make sure to watch it, is in the bird park...

Now when the spring has been blossoming in bright white and a lot of pink here in the cherry gardens, I have seen two new birds; the Eye-broed-thrush, and what I think was a Blythis leaf warbler. I have seen several of the leaf warblers, but they are so incredible quick and shy, that I think that I can only identify the one as a blythis... They all look so alike for an amateur like me ;)

And otherwise I have been painting and painting and trying to get ready for an exhibition back home in Finland in August. But as I am flying home already in the beginning of july, I have to have everything I want to take with me ready in two weeks time, so that they have time to dry before going in the suitcase...
It is an exhibition in a nature and bird art gallery in Inkoo, Finland. I will be exhibiting together with a sculptor, so her bird sculptures will occupy the tables and window niches, and my paintings will fill the walls. I am so exited for this exhibition, because it will be my first big exhibit since 2009...

I have got a few new paintings finished since january, so I will start sharing them:
The first to are Nuthatches. I made the second one first, and I sold it almost right away, and the buyer commissioned me for another to go with it. So he chose both the bird and the song in the background, and the first painting here is the result of that. #1: 'Song of the smith', oil and different papers on canvas, 25x17cm, #2: 'You are so beautiful to my eyes', same, same... The titles of the paintings are a translation of the song titles in the background.
The following two paintings of the european robin were my first paintings that I finished this year, and they were both kind of a struggle. They changed multiple times, and still I didn't succeed totally with what I had in mind from the beginning. But I thought that they will have to become what they are now, as they clearly didn't want 'to behave'... Maybe it was the colour green itself that caused me trouble. I'm not comfortable painting in green... Anyway: #3: 'My fathers land', oil and mixed media on canvas, 17x25cm. #4: 'Evening', oil and mixed media on canvas, 25x17cm.
The last painting is a Bullfinch because my mothered asked for one ;) They have been visiting her bird feeder this winter, and she thought their colours so beautiful so she suggested them as a motif for me. I had a lot of fun with the background, and there are many layers there, but it has to be seen in real life to see the depth of the layers. #5: 'Spring frost', oil and mixed media on canvas, 20x30cm.

This was it for now, more to come! C&C most welcome!!!

Attachments

• 2013smedensvisa.jpg
    2013smedensvisa.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 2013duarsavacker.jpg
    2013duarsavacker.jpg
    322.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 2013fadersjord.jpeg
    2013fadersjord.jpeg
    321.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 2013Aftonen.jpeg
    2013Aftonen.jpeg
    294.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 2013springfrost.jpg
    2013springfrost.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 48
Thank you Ken, I'm glad you think so!

So, the next few paintings I have to share are a series of 20x20cm paintings on canvas board, where I have tried not to paint my collage background, but left it as it is:

The first is a Siberian Jay. This is my own favorite I think of these. Second is a crested tit. The 'forest-stripes' in the background is actually a linoleum print from my art uni days that came in handy this way...
Third is a White wagtail, no summer is complete without them wagging their tail on the beaches! And last, a Chaffinch. This one became a little dark, but lets see how it will be received!

C&C as always more than welcome!!

Attachments

• 2013morningsong.jpg
    2013morningsong.jpg
    423.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 2013runosang.jpg
    2013runosang.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 2013sweetestinthegaleisheard.jpg
    2013sweetestinthegaleisheard.jpg
    479.7 KB · Views: 51
  • vadskogendockarfrisk.jpg
    vadskogendockarfrisk.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 49
Thank you all for your kind feedback!
I have been painting steadily now, so I have more paintings to post soon.

Merry Christmas!

Hello everybody! I have totally forgotten to keep this thread updated after I came back from my 2,5 months holiday home to Finland. I have a lot to share with you! But before I go into all the good things that has happened lately, I just want to wish you all a great Holiday season and a creative blessed new year!!

Attachments

• godjul.jpg
    godjul.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 40
Merry Christmas. You may appreciate that one of my Christmas presents was from your home. A newly translated book from the University of Aalto on making woodblock prints. I'm very much enjoying it.

Ken: how nice! I'm glad you are enjoying something from my country ;)

So, I told you that I have a lot to share, so lets begin! Soon after my latest entry in june last year I went home to Finland for a 2,5 months 'holiday'. I didn't spend that much time online, I gave my back and shoulders some rest too…

I had an exhibition in august in a beautiful gallery in an old barn half an hour drive from my hometown. I had finished about 30 paintings for the show, and I was lucky enough to sell 16 paintings! So I was very satisfied!

Since my return to China I haven't painted much except for in my art journal, but I have some paintings left to share from last year! All of these paintings are first collage and mixed media for the background, and the birds are painted last in oil on top of it all.
C&C always welcome!!

Now I'm off to see what you guys have been up to lately!

Attachments

• 2013waiting.jpg
    2013waiting.jpg
    399.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 2013Autumn.jpg
    2013Autumn.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 2013Lustrous.jpg
    2013Lustrous.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 46
  • everythingunderthesky800.jpg
    everythingunderthesky800.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 50
Thank you so much for your kind comments!
Here are the last two paintings I finished last year in time for the exhibition. Both mixed media on canvas.

Attachments

• 2013flyifyoucan.jpg
    2013flyifyoucan.jpg
    381 KB · Views: 28
  • 2013sailingtrip.jpg
    2013sailingtrip.jpg
    533.1 KB · Views: 37
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back