• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

300D - Partial metering (1 Viewer)

kennygee

On those occasions when I would like to get the nearest equivalent to spot metering, partial metering (centre 9%) seems my best choice. The manual indicates that this is only available when AE Lock is used.

I've tried reading the manual but don't fully understand the explanation regarding AE Lock. I also understand thatAE Lock has an effect on the AF mode.

Could somebody help me on this?

Cheers

Ken

spot meter

kennygee said:
On those occasions when I would like to get the nearest equivalent to spot metering, partial metering (centre 9%) seems my best choice. The manual indicates that this is only available when AE Lock is used.

I've tried reading the manual but don't fully understand the explanation regarding AE Lock. I also understand thatAE Lock has an effect on the AF mode.

Could somebody help me on this?

Cheers

Ken
you must use at least a 1000mm lens on a 35mm to get a buitl inspot meter tobe 1 deg-i would sggest a hand held 1 deg spot meter-i have a $200 adorama spot that has been wking well for 7yrs. thus you can use any lens and program and just remember the gray card or its color equiv -have fun larry

Larry

Thanks for the reply.

I want to use partial metering as my nearest equivalent to spot metering 'in camera' so to speak. I know there is a big difference between 9% and 1% spot, but this seems the best I can do with the cameras features.

I just can't grasp the manuals explanation as to how to engage partial metering and also its relationship to AF modes.

Cheers

Ken

kennygee said:
Larry

I just can't grasp the manuals explanation as to how to engage partial metering and also its relationship to AF modes.

Cheers

Ken

Ken

This is where the 300D is a bit of a let down. The 20D is more flexible and I believe the 350D is also although neither support spot metering.

Basically if you examine the table on page 120 of the 300D manual it tells you the following.

The AF mode is hard coded to the Zone mode. It is not user adjustable other than changing the Zone mode. AI servo is only available in sport (action mode). Some of the Basic modes are One-shot and the rest are AI Focus.

There is no relationship between the focus mode and Exposure mode. I must admit I found the manual is abit confusing on this point in parts when I first used the 300D.

The camera defaults to Evaluative exposure mode except when manaul mode in the creative zone is used. This again is hard coded. However in the creative zone you can use partial metering by pushing the AE button to meter on the subject. A star is displayed in the view finder to show the reading is locked. Then you refocus and reframe as required.

For action shots this is all abit fiddly.

I trust this make sense.

Robert

Last edited:
Robert

Thanks for the explanation which helps a lot.

I thought the manual explanation was poor and ambiguous - I thought I was just being a bit thick!

Cheers

Ken

Ken I am glad it made sense.

If I recall basically in a roundabout way the manual is trying to tell you that you cannot use AI servo and partial metering together because of the way they have hard coded the zone modes on a 300D.

The 20D and 350D allows you to change AF and AE mode within some of the zones and therefore more flexible.

Robert

Last edited:
kennygee said:
Robert

I guess that implies that sports mode is best for in flight shots due to the AF mode?

Cheers

Ken

It does imply that, but how good it is depends on a number of factors.

I think there is an art to bird flight shots.

Factors that control the degree of difficulty.

The size of the bird.
The speed of the bird.
How fast your lens will AF.
Tracking a bird against a clear blue sky compared to a cluttered background.
A single or multiple focus points.
Hoping the AF will track the bird or have the lens pre-focus and let the bird fly into focus.
The DOF.

I have found with the 20D and 300mm L USM the AI servo does tend to jerk into focus as you try to track a bird. It's a question of then firing the shutter when the image is focused before it goes out of focus again.

I'll be interested to know if it is at all possible to maintain constant focus on the smaller birds in flight with any kit ?

Robert

I have never had much luck with A1 servo for flight shots on my 350d. I use one shot with a wide open lens, Partial metering and single (central) point focus. Like Robski I find the A1 servo is jerky and I can never fire the shutter quick enough.

I've noticed on my 300D that if I use the "Sport" mode for birds overhead with plain sky (an unfocusable subject) as a background then if I keep the shutter button held down the camera fires itself whenever a subject (bird) comes into focus.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back