• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"diagnosis not seen" for genus names in the Key A through S (1 Viewer)

I think his Mother's name was Elf-strength.
Yes, it looks like Elfriede Wolters née Lenards (1887-1959).
"Yes", what? Maybe I'm stupid, but; what kind of name is "Elf-strength"? And how is that similar to "Elfriede ..."?

Or is it an English term? I've never heard (nor read) it before.

Try searching the web for it (I did), and you end up with a lot of Strong "Elfs"! ;)
--

Last edited:
"Yes", what? Maybe I'm stupid, but; what kind of name is "Elf-strength"? And how is that similar to "Elfriede ..."?

Or is it an English term? I've never heard (nor read) it before.

Try searching the web for it (I did), and you end up with a lot of Strong Elfs"! ;)

I was wondering about that as well. But on the gravestone is clearly Elfriede and at least this is an existing name in German language. I am not sure who the second Elfriede Wolters (1917-2007) was. Sister or wife of Hans Wolters? I do not have a clue. If his wife maybe a daughter with name Doris or Dorothea?

Sorry for the confusion the Wikipedia is where I got elf-strength. The elves were supposedly much stronger than H. sapiens. Which is why I think of elves as H. neanderthalensis .
There is a saying on the grave ,"You have pleased me by the works of your hands". Which I think comes from a song by Rammstein.

I have a hunch backed up with no facts that Dorisella and Dorisornis are named for Doris Louise nee Huestis Speirs who was a patron of the Wilson Ornithology Society. Wolters was a member of the Wilson Ornithological Society (where he served on the Nominating and Resolutions committees.) They were similarly aged.
Doris Speirs and the Nice Club
A visiting ornithologist from Europe prompted Doris Speirs (accomplished
naturalist and ornithologist) to form her own club after she
informed him that women were not welcome at the TOC meetings, one
of which he planned to attend with her husband Murray — a member
of both the Brodie Club and the TOC. She took his advice and formed
the Margaret Nice Ornithological Club (the Nice Club) with other likeminded
women in January 1952. Possibly Wolters?

Last edited:
Regarding a possible Dorothea or Dorothy, as in dorotheae...

In today's Key we find:
dorotheae
[...]
● Female eponym; dedication unseen (Wolters 1980, Die Vogelarten der Erde) (subsp. Turdus lherminieri).
Sorry James, but there doesn´t seem to be any dedication awaiting to be seen (not more than what´s already been seen in the OD itself, posted in #160), at least not on page 407, not in an out-spoken manner. See attached jpg, for a larger portion of the same page.

If Wolters mentioned any possible ladies by the name Dorothea, Dorothy alt. something similar (or even Doris!) in the Introduction (Vorwort) part of Die Vogelarten der Erde is however unchecked by me. Maybe some clues could be found in it. There are a few ladies mentioned. However not by their First names. See attached pdf document.

Might be worth following/checking up ... for anyone keen!

Björn
--

Attachments

• P. l. dorotheae.jpg
    P. l. dorotheae.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Die Vogelarten der Erde - Title page and Vorwort (pp.VII-VIII).pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 29
Thank you Björn for providing the foreword. There is listed a few Frau's but none of them have D. as the first letter of their first name.

Congratulations are in order for finding this title, Björn, which is held neither in the Ornith. Library Tring nor in NHM London Library. Much appreciated..

You´re welcome James! Only glad to help, and while we´re at it; I might post this one as well, regarding ...
PSEUDOCOLOPTERYX
[...]
Diagnosis not yet seen (Lillo 1905, La Revista de letras y ciencias sociales de Tucumán, 3 (13), 48).
Not seen in full, but Google Snippet view here, from Miguel Lillo's Paper Fauna tucumana : Aves, catálogo sistemático*, Revista de Letras y Ciencias Sociales (Tucumán) 3, 1905, pp. (1-41) 4-41 (not "48"?):
Pseudocolopteryx (nuevo género). Este género se diferencia de todos los demás tiranidos, por la estraña estructura de las plumas remeras en los machos; en efecto la cuarta y quinta son estremadamente estrechas y do solodos tercios del largo normal. Tales remeras se ...
*"A new ed. of a study published in the Anales del Museo Nacional de Buenos Aires, v. 8, p. 169-221.", according to Hathi Trust Digital Library, here. ... which leads us back to 1902, here (but without the Pseudocolopteryx).

Regarding the former Journal Revista de Letras y Ciencias Sociales (Tucumán), vol. 3, according to here: "Public domain only when viewed in the US" ...

If of any help?

Björn

PS. Beware of typos in the second quote! I just typed away, understanding nothing.
-

Last edited:
Thanks again, Björn. The Pseudocolopteryx citation quoted in the Key is from Peters 1979, VIII, p. 50. I hope to compare the original at Tring with your useful 'snippet' (which I have quoted pro tem).

Pseudocolopteryx

The scan is indeed viewable from the US on Hathi (but not on Google). This seems to be a separately paged reprint (page numbers do not match what is reported in nomenclators).

The complete text on p.15 (probably p.48 in the original journal version) is:
Pseudocolopteryx (nuevo género). Este género se diferencia de todos los demás tiranidos, por la estraña estructura de las plumas remeras en los machos; en efecto la cuarta y quinta son estremadamente estrechas y do solo dos tercios del largo normal. Tales remeras se parecen á las quepresentan los machos del género Colopteryx Ridgw, pero en éste son las cuatro primeras. Su posición sistemática es entre el nombrado (Colopteryx) y Hapalocercus.
** 123 Pseudocolopteryx Dinellianus nov. sp. Por su coloración se asemeja casi enteramente con Hapalocercus acutipennis Scl. et Salv.; pero difiere por la estructura del ala como se ha dicho más arriba. En otra parte, daré una descripción completa. Se encuentra en los alrededores de Tucumán.
(The name is also cited in a footnote on p.5 (probably p.38 in the journal version), that lists new taxa for the region/country. This reads:
Las especies marcadas con un asterisco (*) son nuevas para la fauna tucumana y las con dos (**) para la fauna argentina. (1)
[...]
[...]
...but this doesn't add much.)

Last edited:
I just purchased online Irwin, M. P. S. & Clancey, P.A. 1974. A re-appraisal of the generic relationships of some African forest-dwelling robins (Aves: Turdidae). Arnoldia 6(34): 1–19 which supposedly has in it, Dryocichloides Irwin & Clancey 1974: 6 (34), p.15. I will type the diagnosis next week when it arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back