• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Visiting Dartmouth next week .. (1 Viewer)

Wells-man

the user formerly known as Ken Tone
Any tips please?

I live in Hampshire but have just booked wife and me in for a last minute short break next week. Only staying a couple of nights, in Dartmouth itself. Will obviously walk along estuary. Anywhere particularly recommended for birding? Better up or down stream?

We'll have our car with us, but walking distance would be nicer. Mind you, anywhere on way to/from would also be good.

Thanks in anticipation.

K.

The Dart estuary isn't that great for birds IMO, and probably best seen from a boat trip up to Totnes. I'd recommend taking the coastpath towards Stoke Fleming (you can get the bus back from there). And a trip to Slapton if you don't mind a bit of driving; although you may not see much there that you don't also get in Hants, it is worth a visit. Hallsands still has breeding Kittiwakes I hope.

As Dave mentioned a cruise up to Totnes
Riverlink aren't doing coastal cruises yet but Socks person may be.

The Totnes cruise is 1 1/2 hours each way and passes all sorts of interesting places (Agatha Christie estate, Raliegh estate) and is good for Great crested grebe, Kingfisher, Seals.

You can take the Steam train from Kingswear (opp Dartmouth) to Paignton and go on to Dawlish - have best Ice-cream in the World at Gays - see the Black swans with new Cygnets and some really weird hybrids and super ugly Muscovies) walk up to Dawlish warren, have a snack at the Red rock cafe (Sandwich terns and maybe Great northern divers)
Train back to Paignton where you can Steam to Dartmouth or catch a bus.

Or go up to Exmouth by train/bus to StuartLine cruises

On the 13th they are doing a Jurassic cruise which I did last week - 3 1/2 hours of fabulous coastline, Kittiwakes, Divers, Terns.
They also do a daily river cruise up the Exe past the mudflats - bit of a laugh if the Commandos at Lympstone are out being punished by being made to 'run' through the mud.
Good wader territory and lovely views of Powderham castle.

You'll be a stone's throw away from Berry Head with its Auk colony and of course Cirl Buntings. It should also be quite good there for migrants.

Darrell

On ther way down you might stop off at Bowling Green Marsh in Topsham as an Osprey has been seen there recently and as you're going past Staverton it is worth checking the Dart by the railway staion for Goosanders. 3 pairs are in the area at the moment. Early morning would give you a fair chance of seeing the Dippers as well.

Post visit report

Well in the end we didn't get far from the Dart. The estuary itself was indeed not particularly fruitful for birding, but it is a smashing place.

On the way home we stopped at Coleton Fishacre to look at the national trust house, with a bonus very clear sighting of a stationary peregrine by the coastal path just outside the bottom of the NT gardens, and then a quick dash to Berry Head in, by then, lovely weather gave views of guillemots on the cliffs and a possible female cirl bunting in the bushes not far from the car park... though that could just have been wishful thinking ! ;-)

Happy to return the advice if ever any of you come to Hampshire.

K.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back