• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What to see around Loch Lomond (1 Viewer)

Yilane

Hi all,

In an earlier post I have mentioned my visit to Scotland. Now I am in Edinburgh and it turns out that my host has organised me a trip to Loch Lomond. We will be staying at the southern end of the loch, near Balloch and have no car (but we are not afraid of a little travelling). So, could you please recommend me some areas of interest around the loch? (I am still particularly interested in shorebirds, gulls and waterfowl)

Thank you

There are a few places around and near the loch I use.
There is an RSPB reserve at Inversnaid, which is as far up the loch on the Eastern side as you can go. It is mostly forest and very hilly. I went looking for pied flycatchers, but wring time of year now.
also on the Eastern side between Drymen and Balmaha, where the river Endrick flows into the loch is pretty good. There's a farm/caravan site about 1 mile before Balmaha that you can access down onto the lochside.
This link will give you a sense of what is around of interest.
http://www.clydebirds.co.uk/
The other couple of places that need a wee bit of transport are Stockiemuir where there is a Black Grouse lek, and Ardmore point which is on the river Clyde between Helensburgh and Cardross. For shore birds etc that's probably the best place.
Enjoy your visit
Allan

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back