• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spring in Scotland (1 Viewer)

Define spring.... I generally get bitten from April onwards, whatever the books say.

John

Hi John,

I can honestly that I have never been bitten in either April or May. But then I tend to avoid still, damp places at dusk...

This is taken from the SNH website

http://www.snh.org.uk/publications/on-line/advisorynotes/29/29.htm

2.6 Factors affecting biting behaviour
1. General considerations: One of the main factors affecting the biting rate by any midge is the distance from the nearest breeding ground. Midges can be blown on breezes for considerable distances from their breeding site and female midges have been found over 1km from their breeding ground In search of a blood meal. However, the .highest numbers will usually be nearer to the breeding site. The midges prefer to bite near to the ground and are uncommon more than about 3m (10*) from the ground.
2. Weather and time of day. the Highland midge is usually most active in the two hours before sunset with less activity after dark. However, several factors can modify this pattern.
(i) Light intensity: female midges are only active in low light (about 1/3 full noon sunlight). Most midge attacks, therefore, occur around dusk, although midges can also be active on cloudy days and in shaded areas,
(ii) Wind speed: midges stop flying in wind speeds greater than about 3ms (6mph). However, in sheltered situations such as hollows and in the lee of trees biting will continue on windy days.
(iii) Humidity: midges seem to have a threshold of about 60-75% humidity below which they are inactive. Peak activity occurs at 90% humidity.
(iv) Temperature: this is strongly correlated with the time of day and light levels so identifying the effects of temperature alone is difficult. However, activity is reduced below 10°C and may stop below 3°C. Midges will bite in a variety of weather conditions and they are not stopped by light rainfall.

Cheers

Gordon

Have you had a look at the Vocational reports on here. I have used aviemore as a search but you could use others.
http://www.birdforum.net/search.php?searchid=14478849

We always use Aviemore to stay [we do self catering, the last one we stayed in was very good and just off the main road but no traffic noise]. Have always went in beginning to mid May and have never had a problem with midges.

Or there are feeders on the edge of the forest viewable from the 'Grebe information board' near the grebe car park just on the edge of the village (Loch Garten). With a bit of patience we've usually seen crested tits there.

Sandra

The village Is called Boat of Garten.Hope you don't mind Sandra ?

Big thanks to all for your replies. Sounds like I'm spoiled for choice.
Am I riight in assuming flying up would be best; ill see where I can fly to via Cardif.

Gordon, thanks for the heads up on the book, I'll be amazon ready in February!

Cheers, howard

Am I riight in assuming flying up would be best; ill see where I can fly to via Cardif.

Cheers, howard

Yep I'd fly up and hire a car..Glasgow or Inverness and your a couple of hours drive from the centre.
Having said that I'm taking the dog with me in April so I'll be driving up with a stop over in Carlisle.:t:

Hi John,

I can honestly that I have never been bitten in either April or May. But then I tend to avoid still, damp places at dusk...

This is taken from the SNH website

http://www.snh.org.uk/publications/on-line/advisorynotes/29/29.htm

2.6 Factors affecting biting behaviour
1. General considerations: One of the main factors affecting the biting rate by any midge is the distance from the nearest breeding ground. Midges can be blown on breezes for considerable distances from their breeding site and female midges have been found over 1km from their breeding ground In search of a blood meal. However, the .highest numbers will usually be nearer to the breeding site. The midges prefer to bite near to the ground and are uncommon more than about 3m (10*) from the ground.
2. Weather and time of day. the Highland midge is usually most active in the two hours before sunset with less activity after dark. However, several factors can modify this pattern.
(i) Light intensity: female midges are only active in low light (about 1/3 full noon sunlight). Most midge attacks, therefore, occur around dusk, although midges can also be active on cloudy days and in shaded areas,
(ii) Wind speed: midges stop flying in wind speeds greater than about 3ms (6mph). However, in sheltered situations such as hollows and in the lee of trees biting will continue on windy days.
(iii) Humidity: midges seem to have a threshold of about 60-75% humidity below which they are inactive. Peak activity occurs at 90% humidity.
(iv) Temperature: this is strongly correlated with the time of day and light levels so identifying the effects of temperature alone is difficult. However, activity is reduced below 10°C and may stop below 3°C. Midges will bite in a variety of weather conditions and they are not stopped by light rainfall.

Cheers

Gordon

As a mammal watcher I probably do have more tendency than most to skulk about at dawn and dusk (and indeed later when sensible people are in the pub!)

However it is difficult not to burst into hysterical laughter looking at the list of get-outs in your quoted advice: cloud or even rain, shade, sheltered areas.... not much hope when you are looking for Crested Tits and other woodland species then!

You will however have noticed that I've never let the little horrors put me off travelling round beautiful wild Scotland to see my favourite wildlife, and I hope nobody else will either. There is a current thread elsewhere on here regarding prophylaxis, and some may wish to pre-dose with Vitamin B2 which will not stop you being bitten but seems to reduce the reaction of bites. One a day for at least a few weeks before heading up to the Highlands is what Maz does and it seems to work for here.

John

Cheers, howard
I think Flybe might fly out of Cardiff to Inverness Howard.

Rich

Hi Gordon
i used your book to great effect in the spring for our trip to scotland, thanks a lot:),
Were there many changes needed for the New Edition,i imagine there wasn't much good news!!!

Hi Gordon
i used your book to great effect in the spring for our trip to scotland, thanks a lot:),
Were there many changes needed for the New Edition,i imagine there wasn't much good news!!!

A few quick points answering various comments.

Howard, don't get the book from Amazon, go via either the publishers direct (Buckingham Press) or myself. Amazon has to order the book in specially and it takes months whereas we can send out a copy immediately.

Paul - a few more details about the second edition. It has been completely rewritten and expanded. I don't like 'new editions' that only have a few cosmetic changes.

Most of the tours now have extra sites detailed and there are several new tours included such as Mull, Morvern, the Fearn peninsula and the Aberdeenshire coast. There are many more sites included for the likes of White-tailed Eagles as more sites have come into the public domain.

Back to the midges, the advice quoted came from Scottish Natural Heritage, not me. I've never had to stop looking for cresties because of midges - but I would go during the middle of the day rather than at dusk.

Don't let the threat of midges put anyone off - the Highlands are a brilliant place to go.

Hope that helps

Gordon

Smidge that midge. Works on cleggs too. Add a bug shirt you're laughing. Job done.

Gordon Hamlett - sounds remarkable will seek it out on payday.

You can see ptarmigan relatively easy from the visitor centre at the top of the funicular railway on Cairngorm. If you can park close enough to the base station, you should be able to make it up OK. It's best to get out onto the viewing area looking down the mountain - the birds usually are found quite close to here, although you may need to use your bins to try and see them at first.

I was up in the Highlands in May 2011 and failed to see any Crested Tits, despite spending most days looking for them. If anyone can give you a heads up on a nest site you will be OK, but otherwise be wary of staking out feeders in May. Thankfully I had the opportunity to head back up last month and got a Crestie at RSPB Loch Garten, although I had to make two visits and wait over an hour.

May is without doubt the toughest month to see them as they are down on eggs and they keep very quiet at this time too. Not impossible though at the right spots. If you do get info on a breeding site bear in mind it is a Sched 1 protected species.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back