• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

car door /windows (1 Viewer)

paddyenglishman

Semper in excretia sumus; solum profundum variat.
Does anyone use anything for digiscoping whilst looking thru the car window , ie using the door as a mount.
Was thinking of making a bracket for door mounting just wondered if anyone has done this without using a sand bag?

I highly recommend the following

http://www.wildlifewatchingsupplies.co.uk/

C14 Double Bean Bag

Have been using one for 10 years or so and it is still going strong. Filled it with plastic beads, the same type used in beanie toys and available from craft shops, and it works for the car door, roof, on rocks, pretty much everywhere.

I find the simplest solution is usually the best. :t:

Thanks Capercaille
The Ergo one looks the job alright ,so like the muppet i am i ve ordered it . Herself will kill me. The other types that just clip over the glass worry me a little as my old swaro set up feels like its to heavy to just trust the glass especially with the digiscope set up .
oh and at
http://www.7dayshop.com
its only £39.95 , she'll still kill me!!
Cheers Dave

Thanks Capercaille
The Ergo one looks the job alright ,so like the muppet i am i ve ordered it . Herself will kill me. The other types that just clip over the glass worry me a little as my old swaro set up feels like its to heavy to just trust the glass especially with the digiscope set up .
oh and at
http://www.7dayshop.com
its only £39.95 , she'll still kill me!!
Cheers Dave

I'm sure you'll find it more than adequate to support the weight - it's a pretty substantial piece of kit.

I think I may well have got mine from 7dayshop - I couldn't remember when I was searching for it before.

interesting thread... I saw someone using an Ergorest as a window mount yesterday, it looked excellent. So now I'm considering getting one, has anyone on BF had any experience using them?

No Peter but I have one ordered for my trip to Namibia as one isnt allowed out of the car in some of the national parks. I am going to put my manfrotto 393 head and stick the sigma 500 on it. As soon as I have it I will let you know.

Wow Robert
That looks to be some set up .
You mention a Swarovski 80mm angles scope. The AT80HD is what i hope to do this with.I was banking on using the scopes eyepiece rotated at 90Deg ,if you follow what i mean .Did you try this ? Although thinking about it with your digiscoping set up this might not be an option , mine is somewhat simpler in design just being a nylon tube that pulls on and off . As i find the engineering quite fun i'm sure i'll make something usable .
Regards Dave

PaddyEnglishman,
I thought about using my Swarovski, but I believe I would have had to flip my images when I processed them. Also it seem to me that it would be awkward to see you image turned sideways when trying to focus, so I opted to go with a straight and shorter scope. The shorter scope also helped on getting around the problem with the tight space in the front seat of my car when using all this equipment.

Robert

I was contemplating buying the Ergorest,until I experimented with putting up the whole setup inside the car,goes in quite easily as well,saves all the stripping down etc!!!!
Added bonus is that your scope is completely inside the car for when it rains and of course that little bit more concealed.

Attachments

• scope in car.jpg
    scope in car.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 234
I'm like Bob I use my tripod.

If you've got one where the legs open out at different angles you can usually get it to sit steady wih one leg in the passenger foot-well, one against the door pillar and one between the seats, I've managed to set it up in about a dozen different hire cars when birding abroad with no problem.

Only problem with an angled scope is sometimes the height of it above the car door means you've got to twist your head a bit when photographing birds on the ground, this is where the rotate and tilt screens really make life easier.

Saves carrying extra weight in luggage as well.

regards

John

I'm like Bob I use my tripod.

If you've got one where the legs open out at different angles you can usually get it to sit steady wih one leg in the passenger foot-well, one against the door pillar and one between the seats, I've managed to set it up in about a dozen different hire cars when birding abroad with no problem.

Only problem with an angled scope is sometimes the height of it above the car door means you've got to twist your head a bit when photographing birds on the ground, this is where the rotate and tilt screens really make life easier.

Saves carrying extra weight in luggage as well.

regards

John

As you can see John thats exactly what I do with the angled legs ,and of course to make things a lot easier I have a straight scope which I find great in most situations with the cp4500 attached.
Stick the missus in the back seat with her bins and Bob's your uncle!!!

Bob,

Pretty slick! I'll have to try your method. Thanks for the idea! Nice camo job too.

Robert

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back