• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski 8.5's (1 Viewer)

michaelgreeny

Hey guys,

I'm looking at buying a pair of 8.5's off a guy on Gumtree, however every picture I've seen of them in online reviews/website shows the word 'swarovski' and the emblem on opposite sides to what his are. Does that means anything? Earlier version?

The picture is of the ones I am looking at buying.

Thanks

Attachments

• $_20.JPG
    $_20.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 112
Hey guys,

I'm looking at buying a pair of 8.5's off a guy on Gumtree, however every picture I've seen of them in online reviews/website shows the word 'swarovski' and the emblem on opposite sides to what his are. Does that means anything? Earlier version?

The picture is of the ones I am looking at buying.

Thanks

your photo shows the first Swarovski EL series,
(black on the inner tubes, at the hinges)
the latest Swarovisions have green rubber armor all around the tubes
see attached photo, the Swarovisions are much better binoculars
(I wouldn't buy a first EL series bino today)

Attachments

• bin-sk-34110-m_original.jpg
    bin-sk-34110-m_original.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Depends on the condition and price, I think. Can you try them out?

If you don't have to have the latest and greatest version with all the bells and whistles it might be OK for you. Swarovski's warranty is transferable. You can determine the year it was made by adding 30 to the 1st two numbers of its Serial Number.

Bob

Depends on the condition and price, I think. Can you try them out?

If you don't have to have the latest and greatest version with all the bells and whistles it might be OK for you. Swarovski's warranty is transferable. You can determine the year it was made by adding 30 to the 1st two numbers of its Serial Number.

Bob

And the serialnumber is getting visible when you lift the focusknob.

The original EL series is good, particularly if you get the newer coatings and faster focus wheel. They will not have the edge to edge sharpness of the Swarovisions, but for some people that is more of a burden than a boon. Make sure that the price is right, however, as they should be several hundred dollars less than a used Swarovision series.

Justin

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back