• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice on Leica APO 62 (1 Viewer)

wachipilotes

Hello,
I have found a good opportunity to buy a spotting scope Leica APO 62, I have read some interesting things about this model, but I would like to hear first hand some advice about this small telescope ... as well as of the eyepieces that Better work in this spotting.
I am very grateful for your comments
regards,
Wachi.

Hi,

it's the small version of the previous Leica spotter models in the ED versions (called APO here which is not really true) - ok glass but 15 years old design - shouldn't be too expensive. EPs are discontinued too - sometimes available used. EPs for the current 82 and 65mm bodies don't fit.

The following were available (magnifications given are for the larger 77mm model, multiply by 0.8 for 62 bodies):

20x (41003)
20x WW (41009)
32x WW (41011)
40x (41003)
40x WW (41007)
20-60x Zoom (41005)
20-60x Zoom (41012)

The later WW wide angle versions and the later 41012 zoom are preferable.

Joachim

I have the angled APO 62 with the 32xWW eyepiece which is 26x on this scope. It gives a nice wide field of view and is very sharp. Although the APO 62 is small its not particularly lightweight for its size. I've heard that the zoom eyepiece is also very good. If you want a zoom, the more recent one which locks into place is the one to go for.

Wachi, post 1,
This older model is made by Meopta for Leica and if there are any problems it probably can not or very difficult be repaired and if it can be repaired it will cost quite a bit. I know that one repair person collects broken ones as spare parts for repairs.
Gijs van Ginkel

An excellent small scope - I swear by mine! Later locking zoom is preferable as Richard says (if you can find one), otherwise lens is prone to coming loose from body when increasing magnification. Zoom is surprisingly good & sharp at max mag (48x on Televid 62).

One small observation. I got rid of my Televid 62 angled as I found it a bit difficult to sight on a subject. This was because of the off set prism not being in line with the objective. Optically excellent though

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back