Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

How is the COVID virus affecting you?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.
Old Thursday 19th March 2020, 04:15   #26
Pariah
Stealth Birder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Burhinus View Post
Well I’m really on edge now - just spent 20mins on the phone to Amazon complaining about sellers not fulfilling (very over priced!) orders that are shown to have been dispatched (and thus charged for). I’ve been trying to buy (yep you guessed it) toilet paper since beginning of April from Amazon. The first seller marked my item as dispatched but after 4 weeks (a week past delivery) they unilaterally cancelled order saying it had ‘probably’ got lost. Ok it happens, but it just happened again with another seller I went to after the previous seller failed to deliver. Again saying my item had been dispatched (and charged me) days ago (UK seller), due by 8pm this evening but when I tracked it on Hermes, it hadn’t even been passed yet to the courier! I’ve given up trying to get loo paper locally.

Honestly I’m beginning to believe the effects of panic buying is having more impact on my state of mind than anything else that Covid is throwing at us. I’m actually getting paranoid that these elusive items (incuding orders of hand gel that failed to show) allocated to purchasing customers are disappearing somewhere along the supply chain for more nefarious reasons!

edit - omg, I just realised I’ve written nearly 250 words about loo roll. I really need to get out more. Oh yeah, If only ..
Make your own hand gel.
Buy methylated spirit/ethanol from DIY store. Glycerol or glycerol based aloe Vera gel from pharmacy. 75% of the alcohol/25% of the glycerol.

It's perfectly effective and you'll save a fortune. I make liters at a time if I need to.

But seriously, mods, can these non-birding threads be moved.

Owen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200318-190709.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	721508  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200319_071249.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	721509  
Old Thursday 19th March 2020, 05:08   #27
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah View Post

But seriously, mods, can these non-birding threads be moved.

Owen
Absolutely, this quote is from 'Blue Steve' in the 'sticky' at the top of the RF forum: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=1636
Quote:
"RF is the only forum we have that is dedicated to non-birding subjects."
The OP:
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
As requested, I'm starting this non birding thread ....
Seems very straightforward - I'm sure the Mods will be onto it in due course.

Chosun

Last edited by Chosun Juan : Thursday 19th March 2020 at 05:11.

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 19th March 2020, 08:45   #28
Euan Buchan
The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
BF Supporter 2020

Its affecting my job I work in a Church Hall and many of the classes that take place have been cancelled. Most email & phone enquiries I got on Tuesday have been cancellations. I volunteer in a office on Friday and that's been closed I have canceled my forthcoming Birding trips this week and next week it will just be Garden Birding for now.

www.theedinburghbirdwatcher.com

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 19th March 2020, 11:10   #29
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euan Buchan View Post
Its affecting my job I work in a Church Hall and many of the classes that take place have been cancelled. Most email & phone enquiries I got on Tuesday have been cancellations. I volunteer in a office on Friday and that's been closed I have canceled my forthcoming Birding trips this week and next week it will just be Garden Birding for now.
Sorry to hear about the job effects Euan, you can be another new recruit for the Garden/Yard List 2020 thread though
Old Thursday 19th March 2020, 22:58   #30
IAN JAMES THOMPSON

I’m starting my 12 week voluntary self isolation possibly longer with having diabetes type 2 and i tried to order shopping online. Practically impossible. I tried to get connected, to order just my normal shopping and not panic buying. I’ll try again on Friday. My personal health is very important despite missing going out birdwatching. But I’ve been advised by my doctor not even to use the local transport including buses and the Tyne and Wear Metro, of which I've stopped using. I’ve got all my bird feeders, bird table and bird bath full and I will order my bird seed and bird food online.
Ian.
Old Thursday 19th March 2020, 23:23   #31
Deb Burhinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAN JAMES THOMPSON View Post
I’m starting my 12 week voluntary self isolation possibly longer with having diabetes type 2 and i tried to order shopping online. Practically impossible. I tried to get connected, to order just my normal shopping and not panic buying. I’ll try again on Friday. My personal health is very important despite missing going out birdwatching. But I’ve been advised by my doctor not even to use the local transport including buses and the Tyne and Wear Metro, of which I've stopped using. I’ve got all my bird feeders, bird table and bird bath full and I will order my bird seed and bird food online.
Ian.
Much the same for me and many others Ian. I din’t know if you have a Morrison’s where you live but apparently they are ramping up their online delivery services - perhaps more accessible than Ocado etc at the moment. Amazon do sacks of sunflower hearts and large tubs of fatballs and deliver within a few days if you’re a Prime member.

Try not to think of it as self ‘isolation’ but ‘social distancing’ (ghastly phrase but used for a reason as a preference.). I suspect BF will be very very busy the next few months and plenty of others here also hunkering down so you aren’t alone!

Stay well
http://www.osme.org
Old Thursday 19th March 2020, 23:31   #32
dantheman
Bah humbug

Don't forget to mist your shopping with a weak bleach solution or other disinfectant when it arrives* and wash your hands before doing anything else/touching anything (if you don't have disposable gloves).

*No idea if that is recommended advice, but would be what I would be doing in that situation and taking all possible precautions!
Old Thursday 19th March 2020, 23:47   #33
Deb Burhinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
Don't forget to mist your shopping with a weak bleach solution or other disinfectant when it arrives* and wash your hands before doing anything else/touching anything (if you don't have disposable gloves).

*No idea if that is recommended advice, but would be what I would be doing in that situation and taking all possible precautions!
Lol Dan if you could have seen me lunchtime when I got back from the bank with a wad of twenty pound notes (to put under the mattress) so I would have cash in case the banks shut and people emptied the cash machines in a panic. I had them laid out on kitchen towel drying out from the anti-bacterial spray I had soaked them with.

All amazon deliveries and supermarket shopping subjected to the same treatment.

Post C19 Britain, we will not only all be in a world of economic hurt but have spawned a new generation of OCD sufferers!
http://www.osme.org
Old Thursday 19th March 2020, 23:48   #34
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Exclamation

Quote:

Try not to think of it as self ‘isolation’ but ‘social distancing’ (ghastly phrase but used for a reason as a preference.)......
Best to think of it as 'PHYSICAL' Distancing

The last thing anyone needs is social isolation .....

Chosun

Old Friday 20th March 2020, 09:36   #35
Kits
Social Media Editor
BF Supporter 2020

Tell that to the governments in Italy and Spain.

Social distancing is exactly what is needed to get this under control.

"Sail away from safe harbor. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 20th March 2020, 11:34   #36
PYRTLE

Resigned to watching "Loose Women" - actually enjoying listening to their conversation.
I must be very ill !
Old Friday 20th March 2020, 11:41   #37
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRTLE View Post
Resigned to watching "Loose Women" - actually enjoying listening to their conversation.
I must be very ill !

The end is nigh!
Old Friday 20th March 2020, 14:08   #38
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
I must be very ill !
Seek help immediately Pat.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 20th March 2020, 14:50   #39
PYRTLE

TV off, Pink Flyod on, appropriately " Comfortably Numb" and watching the garden birds feeding and singing. Feel calmer.
Old Friday 20th March 2020, 16:42   #40
Xenospiza
Undescribed

Daily death toll in Italy still rising, two weeks into lockdown. Where's that flattening of the curve?
Old Friday 20th March 2020, 16:47   #41
opisska
Jan Ebr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenospiza View Post
Daily death toll in Italy still rising, two weeks into lockdown. Where's that flattening of the curve?
You first need to see flattening in new cases, which still is not so hot. There is a trend, but it's not big and it's likely muddied by increased testing. Then death toll will lag behind that even more - 10 days of incubation, a week of mild disease, then you get worse, then they try to save you .by ventilation, so there is a long time potentially between infection and death. Also death rates are strongly dependent on affected demographic and hospital situation. I
Old Friday 20th March 2020, 17:04   #42
dantheman
Bah humbug

I heard there may be 2 weeks to go to peak.
Old Friday 20th March 2020, 19:56   #43
3Italianbirders
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenospiza View Post
They say it's not flattening but it's not exponential either, it's a constant rise. They keep on postponing the peak . I guess nobody really knows.

BF Supporter 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 20th March 2020, 22:31   #44
Larry Sweetland
Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'

We've set up a virtual pub on zoom where you can pretend to be in a pub and video chat with whoever wants to turn up. Just done it last two nights and it's been hilarious. You have no idea who's going to turn up, or from what country. It's just like a real pub, with friends of friends meeting each other etc. The people on total lockdown in Spain certainly appreciated it. BYO though :-)
Old Saturday 21st March 2020, 07:12   #45
GeorginaEgypt

El Gouna, Egypt

The airports in Egypt closed on Thursday, but Easy Jet are still coming to pick up a few tourists left behind.

Plenty of ex-pats staying here and enjoying life under the hot sunshine (well the hot sun returning day after tomorrow, chilly spell now).

Little supermarkets here in town are well stocked with toilet rolls and hand sanitizers. No masks at the pharmacy.

Restaurants open in the day until 7 pm.

The town of El Gouna is privately owned (20,000 inhabitants?). Everyone has a temperature check as they enter town, and the hotels were carrying out checks too before the mass exodus. About 18 hotels here.

Everywhere is being sanitized, and new rules on the shuttle buses to keep an empty seat.

Personally I walk everywhere or ride my bicycle. We have so much space living on the edge of the desert.

There was the first coronavirus case day before yesterday of a Swiss national tourist staying at one of the hotels. He has gone to a special hospital in Hurghada. I believe the hotel is in lockdown.

The hotel staff must remain as many come from the villages along the River Nile and they want to make sure they are free of the virus before they return. They will be busy sanitizing the hotels.

A few are wearing masks and rubber gloves now around town.

I walked for about 4 hours yesterday, 13,000 steps, bird spotting. It was just wonderful. The golf course was deserted and full of bird life including spring visitors. Tidal lagoons with gulls, cormorants, plovers, etc.

Skies full of swallows, bee eaters, and storks, buzzards, kites, and cranes soaring past in the thermals.

I feel totally safe here. I would not wish to return to England! I like the outdoor living and hot sun and fabulous views I have from my apartment.

And the kestrels and busy everyday opposite my balcony mating, and the female is now incubating her eggs.

Photo taken from my balcony with a super zoom 60x lens (no disturbance ever to the kestrels). They nest every year opposite me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stay Home.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	721641
http://www.kestrels.jimdosite.com/

Last edited by GeorginaEgypt : Saturday 21st March 2020 at 07:19.
Old Saturday 21st March 2020, 07:25   #46
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2020

Some of the local market traders and restaurants here are now offering a delivery very service. Where I work, most of us are now primarily working from home.

Rich

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 21st March 2020, 08:01   #47
Julie50

I’m a teacher working in the West Midlands, in an area with many vulnerable students. I will be in work on Monday, but I do not have any dependents - so it’s only fair!

Bit gutted about the pub though! Home drinkies from now on.
Latest tick: Glaucous Gull
Old Saturday 21st March 2020, 09:49   #48
Microtus

Quote:
TV off, Pink Flyod on, appropriately " Comfortably Numb" and watching the garden birds feeding and singing. Feel calmer.
Good advice!
Old Saturday 21st March 2020, 12:05   #49
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Thumbs up

Quote:
Try not to think of it as self ‘isolation’ but ‘social distancing’ (ghastly phrase but used for a reason as a preference.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
Best to think of it as 'PHYSICAL' Distancing

The last thing anyone needs is social isolation .....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kits View Post
Tell that to the governments in Italy and Spain.

Social distancing is exactly what is needed to get this under control.
It will be interesting to get real detailed data, and get to the bottom of the high death rates in Italy and Spain.

I wonder how many people realize how insidious the 'isolation' part of social isolation is .... ?

I think It is a term that should be binned in preference to Physical Distancing, or another one I heard from a talking head today - 'SPATIAL' Distancing . I'm certainly going to adopt that one - there's been too much fear programming already.

This is a far more prescriptive term without the negative 'isolation' connotations, whilst still complying with the intentions of that earlier advice. Social connection (either virtually or appropriately spaced) is a key immune system supporter.

Currently in Oz, we have a mix of:-
International traveller conditions and upcoming bans.
Cancellation of all non-essential major public gatherings (sporting events etc - many competitions crowdless or cancelled all together). Even club lawn bowls competitions are cancelled !
Limits of less than 500 people in clubs, less than 100 at weddings etc, and a 4sqm per person physical spacing minimum.
Bondi beach closed.
People cheek by jowl at supermarkets looking for a roll of dunny paper, and
Unfettered mass public transit.

The cat well and truly got out of the bag over a month ago. An immediate two week shutdown and quarantining of international travel and widespread testing back then would have far better controlled this. On the upside I suspect a growing percentage of public immunity if anecdotal conversations I have had with previosly classically symptomatic but refused testing and now fully recovered, people is anything to go by .......

Chosun

Old Saturday 21st March 2020, 12:49   #50
peter.jones
You may say I'm a dreamer.. but I'm not the only one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
On the upside I suspect a growing percentage of public immunity if anecdotal conversations I have had with previosly classically symptomatic but refused testing and now fully recovered, people is anything to go by .......

Chosun
The numbers are very low aren't they. You look at official cases and even multiply them by 100, they are still a tiny proportion of populations.
I can't see immunity coming naturally out of that for many years.

Especially when you realise health services are struggling even with the small numbers. I`m starting to think a "cure"/ effective treatment to bring the death percentage right down, or vaccine is the only way to put this behind us.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: