Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

How is the COVID virus affecting you?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.
Old Wednesday 18th March 2020, 08:11   #1
andyadcock
Registered User
 
andyadcock's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: UK and Occasionally St Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 18,007
How is the COVID virus affecting you?

As requested, I'm starting this non birding thread for anyone to share their daily7 experiences of the new situation. I'll start by copying over a posr from another thread just to get started.
__________________
Andy A
andyadcock is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 18th March 2020, 08:13   #2
andyadcock
Registered User
 
andyadcock's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: UK and Occasionally St Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 18,007
I've just spent 40 minutes queuing outside a local store for essentials.

My local supermarket is allso starting special pensioner only shopping times which is a good idea, today it's 9-11am at Iceland

Was also offered my first elbow bump in lieu of a handshake today too.

I did find a freshly dead Magpie on the way back and pondered the historically attached omens but that didn't stop me from taking it's pristine, tail feathers which my wife will get arty with.

Last night I was lucky enough to be able to order the last two packs of nappies I could find anywhere. I hope that once people have stocked up to the point of saturation that things will normalise but it's just as likely that we'll see profiteering.
__________________
Andy A

Last edited by andyadcock : Wednesday 18th March 2020 at 08:17.
andyadcock is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 18th March 2020, 09:09   #3
Steve Lister
World Birder, ex-County Recorder, Garden Moth-er

 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Loughborough, Leicestershire
Posts: 4,603
I do much of my grocery shopping online, usually with Ocado. Normally I could go online today and book a delivery for anytime tomorrow. This morning I had to wait in a virtual queue for over an hour (it was two hours yesterday) and eventually got on the site to find a lot of things out of stock and the first available delivery slot is the evening of Thursday 2nd April.

Same as in-store, loads of people panic-buying and hoarding. I am trying to be responsible and minimise social contact but I will have to go and do some local shopping to tide me over until April 2nd.

Steve
Steve Lister is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 18th March 2020, 10:49   #4
andyadcock
Registered User
 
andyadcock's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: UK and Occasionally St Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 18,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon Jay View Post
I am currently on a birding trip in Panama but trying desperately to get home before everything shuts down.
Good luck with that, stay safe.
__________________
Andy A
andyadcock is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 18th March 2020, 10:52   #5
andyadcock
Registered User
 
andyadcock's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: UK and Occasionally St Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 18,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lister View Post
I do much of my grocery shopping online, usually with Ocado. Normally I could go online today and book a delivery for anytime tomorrow. This morning I had to wait in a virtual queue for over an hour (it was two hours yesterday) and eventually got on the site to find a lot of things out of stock and the first available delivery slot is the evening of Thursday 2nd April.

Same as in-store, loads of people panic-buying and hoarding. I am trying to be responsible and minimise social contact but I will have to go and do some local shopping to tide me over until April 2nd.

Steve
I'm currently having to go out two or three times a day to find what we need, in the hope that since the last time I was in a particular shop, they've had a delivery of something I couldn't get last time.

Baby stuff, Ladies hygiene products, paper rolls of any kind, eggs, bread, tinned goods, pasta, rice soap of any kind were all out both yesterday and today here.

I'm lucky to a point in that I can't resist a bargain so if anything is ever on offer, I'll buy a few packs which means I do have an existing stock of hand soap, tea, coffee, canned tuna, baby food and toilet rolls but that's it.

I have two elderly neighbours self isolating so I'm getting bits for them too when I can.
__________________
Andy A

Last edited by andyadcock : Wednesday 18th March 2020 at 10:57.
andyadcock is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 18th March 2020, 10:55   #6
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly
 
Chosun Juan's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Central West NSW, Australia
Posts: 7,277
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
As requested, I'm starting this non birding thread for anyone to share their daily7 experiences of the new situation. I'll start by copying over a posr from another thread just to get started.
You realize that you've started this "non birding thread" in the 'Birds & Birding' sub-forum don't you ? Perhaps the first step is to move it to a more appropriate place ......







Chosun
Chosun Juan is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 18th March 2020, 11:09   #7
andyadcock
Registered User
 
andyadcock's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: UK and Occasionally St Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 18,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
You realize that you've started this "non birding thread" in the 'Birds & Birding' sub-forum don't you ? Perhaps the first step is to move it to a more appropriate place ......

Chosun
Stop trolling my threads, I don't do Ruffled feathers due to folk like you so that's not an option.


BLOCKED
__________________
Andy A
andyadcock is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 18th March 2020, 11:22   #8
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly
 
Chosun Juan's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Central West NSW, Australia
Posts: 7,277
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Stop trolling my threads, I don't do Ruffled feathers due to folk like you so that's not an option.


BLOCKED
I can't even think of (m)any other threads you've started that I would wish to comment on. It's not trolling to point out the SBO - this thread has nothing to do with Birds & Birding according to your own words:
Quote:
"I'm starting this non birding thread for anyone to share their daily7 experiences of the new situation."
- it belongs elsewhere.





Chosun

Last edited by Chosun Juan : Wednesday 18th March 2020 at 12:09. Reason: Hair splitting pedantry
Chosun Juan is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 18th March 2020, 11:30   #9
Pariah
Stealth Birder
 
Pariah's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Helsinki
Posts: 3,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
You realize that you've started this "non birding thread" in the 'Birds & Birding' sub-forum don't you ? Perhaps the first step is to move it to a more appropriate place ......







Chosun
Agreed. Mods, please move.

Owen
__________________
My new blog http://helhathnobirdies.blogspot.fi
Twitter - https://twitter.com/birdingstandard
Check out the new Rare and Scarce Birds Ireland Facebook group exclusively for Irish birders. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1002951019867735/
Pariah is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 18th March 2020, 11:32   #10
andyadcock
Registered User
 
andyadcock's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: UK and Occasionally St Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 18,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah View Post
Agreed. Mods, please move.

Owen
Another of my regular trolls
__________________
Andy A
andyadcock is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 18th March 2020, 11:34   #11
andyadcock
Registered User
 
andyadcock's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: UK and Occasionally St Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 18,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
I can't even think of any other threads you've started that I would wish to comment on. It's not trolling to point out the SBO - this thread has nothing to do with Birds & Birding according to your own words:

Chosun
Dementia as well, you posted one of your nonsensical lines in the 'currency' thread.
__________________
Andy A
andyadcock is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 18th March 2020, 11:38   #12
dantheman
Bah humbug
 
dantheman's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 13,045
Blog Entries: 2
The problem is that there is nowhere else that is open access on Birdforum and appropriate. Don't know the figures but Ruffled Feathers is poorly used.

I guess I could suggest this in a private exchange with admin, but I think that the rationale behind 'Ruffled Feathers' is wrong - ie you have to sign IN. If it was automatic for all posters then people could sign OUT of the concept if they wanted then it would get a lot more use. Bandwidth used to be quoted as an issue, but surely not these days??

Issues of politeness, flaming and the like - I guess that is an issue.
__________________
stithiansreservoirbirding.blogspot.co.uk/ - last update 10/11/15 - really rather remarkable still!!!
dantheman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 18th March 2020, 11:45   #13
andyadcock
Registered User
 
andyadcock's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: UK and Occasionally St Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 18,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
The problem is that there is nowhere else that is open access on Birdforum and appropriate. Don't know the figures but Ruffled Feathers is poorly used.

I guess I could suggest this in a private exchange with admin, but I think that the rationale behind 'Ruffled Feathers' is wrong - ie you have to sign IN. If it was automatic for all posters then people could sign OUT of the concept if they wanted then it would get a lot more use. Bandwidth used to be quoted as an issue, but surely not these days??

Issues of politeness, flaming and the like - I guess that is an issue.
Re appropriateness, even RF would not be as the very name suggests something that irritates you rather than simply being a question to open a discussion or find an answer.

Flaming, one at least in this thread who regularly chips in to stir the pot on none birding issues and another of the people I hoped to avoid when I removed myself from RF.
__________________
Andy A
andyadcock is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 18th March 2020, 11:50   #14
dantheman
Bah humbug
 
dantheman's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 13,045
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
The problem is that there is nowhere else that is open access on Birdforum and appropriate. Don't know the figures but Ruffled Feathers is poorly used.

Found the place - https://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=422

Or maybe just the creation of a 'Pathogens' section.
__________________
stithiansreservoirbirding.blogspot.co.uk/ - last update 10/11/15 - really rather remarkable still!!!
dantheman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 18th March 2020, 11:51   #15
Pariah
Stealth Birder
 
Pariah's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Helsinki
Posts: 3,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Re appropriateness, even RF would not be as the very name suggests something that irritates you rather than simply being a question to open a discussion or find an answer.

Flaming, one at least in this thread who regularly chips in to stir the pot on none birding issues and another of the people I hoped to avoid when I removed myself from RF.
You have a severe and clearly fake victimhood attitude.
You yourself identified the thread as non birding. It therefore should be moved. It's hardly rocket science.

Of course, you'll go off in another whinge about people with usernames or people who post too little on BF...or too much....or whatever suits you to deflect from your strange and obvious need for interaction on this forum...but only interaction you can control...

As you were.

Owen
__________________
My new blog http://helhathnobirdies.blogspot.fi
Twitter - https://twitter.com/birdingstandard
Check out the new Rare and Scarce Birds Ireland Facebook group exclusively for Irish birders. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1002951019867735/
Pariah is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 18th March 2020, 11:55   #16
dantheman
Bah humbug
 
dantheman's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 13,045
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Re appropriateness, even RF would not be as the very name suggests something that irritates you rather than simply being a question to open a discussion or find an answer.

Flaming, one at least in this thread who regularly chips in to stir the pot on none birding issues and another of the people I hoped to avoid when I removed myself from RF.
Well, it's ruffled a few feathers by being in this section already. To be honest, I think the vast majority (90%+) of the content (threads and posts) in RF is pleasant, benign and positive interaction. Maybe it even needs a name change.

GardeningForum (is that even still around?) had its off-topic area as 'The Potting Shed' which indicates a lot less controversy ...
__________________
stithiansreservoirbirding.blogspot.co.uk/ - last update 10/11/15 - really rather remarkable still!!!
dantheman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 18th March 2020, 12:01   #17
andyadcock
Registered User
 
andyadcock's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: UK and Occasionally St Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 18,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah View Post
You have a severe and clearly fake victimhood attitude.
You yourself identified the thread as non birding. It therefore should be moved. It's hardly rocket science.

Of course, you'll go off in another whinge about people with usernames or people who post too little on BF...or too much....or whatever suits you to deflect from your strange and obvious need for interaction on this forum...but only interaction you can control...

As you were.

Owen
On yer bike Noddy.
__________________
Andy A
andyadcock is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 18th March 2020, 12:03   #18
andyadcock
Registered User
 
andyadcock's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: UK and Occasionally St Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 18,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
Well, it's ruffled a few feathers by being in this section already. To be honest, I think the vast majority (90%+) of the content (threads and posts) in RF is pleasant, benign and positive interaction. Maybe it even needs a name change.

GardeningForum (is that even still around?) had its off-topic area as 'The Potting Shed' which indicates a lot less controversy ...
Only a couple of the same individuals who usually pursue me. I'm sure a couple of them read my posts just waiting to jump aboard as at least one did here, I really do wish they'd just block me.

A couple of people have posted in the spirit of the thread but then it got spoiled so mods can do what they like with it now.

This very small group are making my experience on this site unpleasant at every opportunity and have for some time, so it's holiday time for me.
__________________
Andy A

Last edited by andyadcock : Wednesday 18th March 2020 at 12:10.
andyadcock is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 18th March 2020, 12:28   #19
Robert_Young
Registered Member

 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Dumfries
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Only a couple of the same individuals who usually pursue me. I'm sure a couple of them read my posts just waiting to jump aboard as at least one did here, I really do wish they'd just block me.

A couple of people have posted in the spirit of the thread but then it got spoiled so mods can do what they like with it now.

This very small group are making my experience on this site unpleasant at every opportunity and have for some time, so it's holiday time for me.
As someone who is a relatively new member to Birdforum, so you can't say I've repeatedly gone after you, let me just say that you consistently manage to bring the tone down on almost every thread you barge in on, so you won't be missed should you take a break.

I agree with the above posters that this thread would be better located in Ruffled Feathers, as it is non-birding related.
Robert_Young is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 18th March 2020, 15:44   #20
Deb Burhinus
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 652
Its half a dozen of one and 6 of the other and there is at least one contributor to BF I can think of whose dominating on-thread behaviour and controlling, hostile behaviour to other posters is a source of constant annoyance to many of us but we are what we are.

If mods want to move a thread I’m sure they would.
If we wanted to block our views of some members posts, I sure we would.

As for shopping, which Andy raised elsewhere, I agree its been a nightmare. Also delays to online deliveries, overt racketeering and things marked as ‘not available’ - I’m still waiting for hand sanitizer ordered at the end of February - bird ringers will know how annoying it is not to be able to get hand gel when they’ve been using it for years in the field.
__________________
___________________________
ORNITHOLOGICAL SOCIETY OF THE MIDDLE EAST
THE CAUCASUS AND CENTRAL ASIA
http://www.osme.org

Last edited by Deb Burhinus : Wednesday 18th March 2020 at 15:47.
Deb Burhinus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 18th March 2020, 17:41   #21
peter.jones
You may say I'm a dreamer.. but I'm not the only one

 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Hants
Posts: 1,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Burhinus View Post
Its half a dozen of one and 6 of the other and there is at least one contributor to BF I can think of whose dominating on-thread behaviour and controlling, hostile behaviour to other posters is a source of constant annoyance to many of us but we are what we are.

If mods want to move a thread I’m sure they would.
If we wanted to block our views of some members posts, I sure we would.
I think the hobby, especially the twitcher / lister element, attracts a lot of people who are on the spectrum, or socially awkward etc. nothing wrong with that, just how we are.

It is going to be a struggle for some on here, going by posts I've read lately and responses to some of my posts, bearing in mind it has only just started here in UK, and Northern Europe.
Aggression, moodswings, defeatism, fear are hardly the best attributes to be carrying round. Sadly, there isn't much we can do sitting hundreds of miles away.

Just try and give everyone a bit of leeway, it's often seemingly little things that can really cause hurt and upset when someone is on edge.
__________________
Blogging since 2006!: https://pdjwildlife.blogspot.com/

Last edited by peter.jones : Wednesday 18th March 2020 at 17:55.
peter.jones is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 18th March 2020, 19:20   #22
Deb Burhinus
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter.jones View Post
.., it's often seemingly little things that can really cause hurt and upset when someone is on edge.
Well I’m really on edge now - just spent 20mins on the phone to Amazon complaining about sellers not fulfilling (very over priced!) orders that are shown to have been dispatched (and thus charged for). I’ve been trying to buy (yep you guessed it) toilet paper since beginning of April from Amazon. The first seller marked my item as dispatched but after 4 weeks (a week past delivery) they unilaterally cancelled order saying it had ‘probably’ got lost. Ok it happens, but it just happened again with another seller I went to after the previous seller failed to deliver. Again saying my item had been dispatched (and charged me) days ago (UK seller), due by 8pm this evening but when I tracked it on Hermes, it hadn’t even been passed yet to the courier! I’ve given up trying to get loo paper locally.

Honestly I’m beginning to believe the effects of panic buying is having more impact on my state of mind than anything else that Covid is throwing at us. I’m actually getting paranoid that these elusive items (incuding orders of hand gel that failed to show) allocated to purchasing customers are disappearing somewhere along the supply chain for more nefarious reasons!

edit - omg, I just realised I’ve written nearly 250 words about loo roll. I really need to get out more. Oh yeah, If only ..
__________________
___________________________
ORNITHOLOGICAL SOCIETY OF THE MIDDLE EAST
THE CAUCASUS AND CENTRAL ASIA
http://www.osme.org

Last edited by Deb Burhinus : Wednesday 18th March 2020 at 19:34.
Deb Burhinus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 18th March 2020, 19:44   #23
dantheman
Bah humbug
 
dantheman's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 13,045
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Burhinus View Post
Well I’m really on edge now - just spent 20mins on the phone to Amazon complaining about sellers not fulfilling (very over priced!) orders that are shown to have been dispatched (and thus charged for). I’ve been trying to buy (yep you guessed it) toilet paper since beginning of April from Amazon.

...

edit - omg, I just realised I’ve written nearly 250 words about loo roll. I really need to get out more. Oh yeah, If only ..
Massive sympathies.

You're also trying to buy loo roll on a date that has not yet occurred. Maybe that's causing problems at their end?


__________________
stithiansreservoirbirding.blogspot.co.uk/ - last update 10/11/15 - really rather remarkable still!!!
dantheman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 18th March 2020, 19:50   #24
Deb Burhinus
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
Massive sympathies.

You're also trying to buy loo roll on a date that has not yet occurred. Maybe that's causing problems at their end?


April 2019 - (I told ya I was pi%%ed off)
__________________
___________________________
ORNITHOLOGICAL SOCIETY OF THE MIDDLE EAST
THE CAUCASUS AND CENTRAL ASIA
http://www.osme.org
Deb Burhinus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 18th March 2020, 20:12   #25
dantheman
Bah humbug
 
dantheman's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 13,045
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Burhinus View Post
April 2019 -(I told ya I was pi%%ed off)


I've started a new thread in the relevant section. Feel free to contribute/unload -

Toilet Paper in a time of Crisis
__________________
stithiansreservoirbirding.blogspot.co.uk/ - last update 10/11/15 - really rather remarkable still!!!
dantheman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Warning of Parasite affecting Hedgehogs Peewit Conservation 0 Sunday 12th August 2012 21:20
How is climate change affecting birds? (BTO) BF Newsroom Latest news from the BTO 0 Saturday 16th July 2011 14:35
Adverts affecting web speeds JTweedie Computers, Birding Software And The Internet 4 Thursday 20th January 2011 11:00
Oil spill in North Sea now affecting seabirds Julian Bell Live Bird News from around the World 3 Friday 21st December 2007 07:06
ED/HDF Glass affecting RBI/Twilight factor cassowary Spotting Scopes & tripod/heads 2 Thursday 20th April 2006 09:55

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.21677303 seconds with 38 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 07:09.